mtbr member

Telluride Bike Park

Just got back from a five day stretch of motoing and DH in the Telluride area.

If the heat is killing you and the forest is closed I suggest a trip on up. We camped mostly near Telluride in some prime free spots where fire is ok. One night I grabbed a hotel in Telly for a friends wedding, lots of booze at altitude means sleeping within stumbling distance from the bars. Got a room at the Mountainside for $79 a night, about three blocks away from the FREE gondola.
    Why is that important? At the top of the FREE gondola is a FREE bike park. SO all you gotta do is go. We were there for the second day it was opened and 224 people had gone in and played. I saw four people outside of my party on the trails...no lines, no crowded runs, no major hassles whatsofrigginevah.
    The trails were lots of fun and as dry as you'd expect Flag to be. Lots of fun and Highly recommended. There is a ton of stuff for non riding folk to do as well. If you can't have fun in a place like this you should really re evaluate your life. Several runs in varying ability levels including the World Cup course. I was on an all mountain rig and had plenty of fun, a DH bike is probably more fun but......dudes were shredding the WC course on hardtails. It ain't the bike its the rider.

Did I mention it was mostly free. Gas and one hell of a boring ride thru the RES,plus food and bevy's.
    i never thought i'd be 43 and living here......i kinda wanted to be a rockstar..." Mark Hendershot

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Nice! Might have to make a stop during my week in Colorado!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by midget View Post
    Just got back from a five day stretch of motoing and DH in the Telluride area.

If the heat is killing you and the forest is closed I suggest a trip on up. We camped mostly near Telluride in some prime free spots where fire is ok. One night I grabbed a hotel in Telly for a friends wedding, lots of booze at altitude means sleeping within stumbling distance from the bars. Got a room at the Mountainside for $79 a night, about three blocks away from the FREE gondola.
    Why is that important? At the top of the FREE gondola is a FREE bike park. SO all you gotta do is go. We were there for the second day it was opened and 224 people had gone in and played. I saw four people outside of my party on the trails...no lines, no crowded runs, no major hassles whatsofrigginevah.
    The trails were lots of fun and as dry as you'd expect Flag to be. Lots of fun and Highly recommended. There is a ton of stuff for non riding folk to do as well. If you can't have fun in a place like this you should really re evaluate your life. Several runs in varying ability levels including the World Cup course. I was on an all mountain rig and had plenty of fun, a DH bike is probably more fun but......dudes were shredding the WC course on hardtails. It ain't the bike its the rider.

Did I mention it was mostly free. Gas and one hell of a boring ride thru the RES,plus food and bevy's.
    Tellurde is my all time favorite Colorado town. Unfortunately, never been there outside of ski season.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Did this last year with a friend on hardtails, definitely a blast! Telluride is a ton of fun in the summer, definitely worth the trip.

G.O.B.
    Thanks for the puttin' the whisper about this place out there. Just booked a trip for this weekend and still was able to talk them into the $79 deal over the holiday!

vmb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Been meaning to go there

We've been going to Durango and Park City, UT the last few years to get out of the heat, but had Telluride on the radar. Sounds like we need to do it.

Why anyone would go to California to get out of the heat when you could go to Colorado
    boggles my mind (I guess unless you have a death wish and want to go to San Diego so you can get robbed and shot in the head like that poor kid from AZ. in the news yesterday).

Colorado is a much better place to go in my opinion (less people, more things to do and great weather).

We also researched properties to stay at up on the mountain where the gondola drops you off (perhaps a bit cooler and less crowded ?)

Saucy Size Moderator
    I was there Sunday! Didn't bring big bike or armor but it looked like a ton of fun from the gondola. The dirtbag-to-dbag ratio in town was pretty good too. I'd totally go again.

EDIT: While we did not get a chance to ride in Telluride proper, my buddy and I instead went down to Bear Creek, about an hour south of Telluride. Beautiful trail, very tough, probably more fun as a shuttle from way up top, or as a climb with someone armed with better lungs. Then another hour south of that you can be in Dolores and ride Boggy Draw, or 15 minutes past that in Cortez and ride the amazing Phil's World. Just tons and tons to do up in that quadrant, all a heck of a lot cooler than here right now.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire View Post
    Tellurde is my all time favorite Colorado town. Unfortunately, never been there outside of ski season.
    Ditto and Ditto! Still my favorite ski hill!

I really need to get up there for some riding and wheeling.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    how long does the average run last for a good rider at telluride?

suvlako
    Thanks for the 411. How was the moto fun? Single track, jeep road?

G.O.B.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzguitarplayer View Post
    how long does the average run last for a good rider at telluride?
    The runs are FREE....that means a lifetime.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by vmb View Post
    We've been going to Durango and Park City, UT the last few years to get out of the heat, but had Telluride on the radar. Sounds like we need to do it.

Why anyone would go to California to get out of the heat when you could go to Colorado
    boggles my mind (I guess unless you have a death wish and want to go to San Diego so you can get robbed and shot in the head like that poor kid from AZ. in the news yesterday).

Colorado is a much better place to go in my opinion (less people, more things to do and great weather).

We also researched properties to stay at up on the mountain where the gondola drops you off (perhaps a bit cooler and less crowded ?)
    go, you guys will love it. I'm hoping to swing a fast weekend there this season and I'll post up if it happens. Reserving up on Mtn Village would be fun, but it is kinda dead out by the condos and I imagine a little pricier. A tad colder. There are restaurants bars etc, but like being in a Ski Resort in winter, you are kinda trapped with a more limited selection. In town, you have stuff going on all the time, with free rides up to the resort for you and your bike. Definitely my preference, and there are so many cool ways to get back down to town from the top.

Do the Wasatch Connector from Tride. Start at the gondola, climb to the top of the resort, then 3k down. Search this forum and the CO forum, I had a thread about it last year. Awesome all-mtn ride but predominantly dh. I have a gpx somewhere i can forward you too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by suvlako View Post
    Thanks for the 411. How was the moto fun? Single track, jeep road?
    Riding a 650 dual sport. Saw some single but mostly dirt road exploration. Tried Immogene pass but still a lot of snow. so we just tooled around every dirt road we could find.

There was never a dull moment.
    i never thought i'd be 43 and living here......i kinda wanted to be a rockstar..." Mark Hendershot

Meatbomb
    This time tomorrow I'll be chillin' in Telluride.. too bad it's only for one night

No time to ride but I will take a half hour to ride the gondola up and back .

Alive and Lurkin'
    Ok so the place doesn't have a mini fridge, but there is a FAT 20" CRT TV in the room. Right on the river here in Telluride, CO. The Gondola starts at 7am and runs bikes up until 7pm, 12 hours of riding starting tomorrow!
    Pumpin & Pimpin

"No Clue Crew"
    I definitely want to get up there soon!

mtbr member
    Glad you enjoyed yourself, midget, a little diversion every now and then does a spirit good. I'm starting to feel a need for one myself, all work and no play.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i LOVE midgets!