mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Tell me about West National and Bajada.

I'm wanting to mix things up this year and do new stuff, so tomorrow I am planning to go up Ranger to National and head West. I have never been West of this point. What is it like and more importantly, what is Bajada like? Do I need to bring extra armor?

Just Joshin' ya!
    I don't have much experience on La Bajada, but National from Ranger is.....alright. Its mostly up and down until the last final descent off the mountain. It is a little bit technical but definitely not as much as anything east of the Ranger junction. Once you come off the mountain, National flattens out and turns towards San Juan road and after it crosses that road, the trail turns into loose, rocky, sandy, boring-ness. Its been churned up by horses so it is not really fun. I usually just head back up San Juan road from where National crosses it, ride up the road to Buena Vista Lookout, and head back down National.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

Kathleen in AZ
    Bajada is a blast! Make sure you have a big bowl of wheaties in the morning. Both knee and elbow pads are recommended for this ride.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Don't forget your tire repair kit!! Danger looms on those jagged rocks of Bajada, but go for it!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Prime
    Bajada can be a challenge, especially at the point of your ride that you'll be doing it. I second the pads and wheaties. Be careful on the west end of National, there's not nearly as much traffic out there if you should get into trouble. It's definitely worth doing though IMO, because there isn't as much traffic out there.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Also watch out for religious fanatics.....long story.

You only get the real crazies on the west side.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

mtbr member
    That last bit of National where you have the option of heading out to the top of Pyramid or staying in National is probably my favorite.

Bajada is worth doing at least once. Super rocky and loose, so just stay in the saddle and let the bike bounce wherever it wants.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Pretty cool loop, but Bajada . . .ehhhh, just ok. Bajada is basically a little loose horse chatter with washes. It's fun and all, but I would probably just ride the road next time. National west of Ranger was fun and reminds me of PMP, just a little steeper and just a bit longer as you drop down at the end. Fun and fast!

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by climnron View Post
    Pretty cool loop, but Bajada . . .ehhhh, just ok. Bajada is basically a little loose horse chatter with washes. It's fun and all, but I would probably just ride the road next time. National west of Ranger was fun and reminds me of PMP, just a little steeper and just a bit longer as you drop down at the end. Fun and fast!
    My opinion also, but I didn't tell you that and possibly keep you from riding your favorite trail ever. Glad you had an enjoyable ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by climnron View Post
    The west side is the best IMO. Good single track and low traffic.

Give it a crank
    Going west of Telegraph Pass is like going to a whole different mountain, everything is different than the more popular east half of the mountain. It's just as awesome, only in it's own peculiar ways. You must try all trails out there at least once.

Bajada is the one you can't get any speed on, making you think it might be easier in the other direction, until you actually try it only to think the same thing again. It looks flat on a map but it won't feel flat at all, making you work about as hard as going up Ranger Trail.

I agree the west side is the best of SoMo, take extra water.

Prime
    Do Mine Drop, just hairy enough to keep you puckered most of the way down, good fun.

Shred...it's the new drug
    All the west side trails that drop to the south are Gnar...Pyramid, Eliminator, Mine Drop, etc. Fastest way down the mountain. I'd love to do them all in a day...SOMO Enduro!

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob View Post
    All the west side trails that drop to the south are Gnar...Pyramid, Eliminator, Mine Drop, etc. Fastest way down the mountain. I'd love to do them all in a day...SOMO Enduro!
    Wear your elevator shoes, that's a lot of trips back to the top.