slower than you

tandem plus trailabike on the AZ trail

compared to rockman's sportsmobile, our rig is a little speck of a thing... on the other hand, compared to most of the other bikes ("one-seaters" we call 'em) we encounter on our rides, we're pretty much always the biggest rig around. easy.

i post this here only because 2 or 3 of you might find it a curiosity... a little video of a ride we took on the hart prairie section of the AZ trail this weekend on our tandem and trailabike rig (the "three-seater").

as with every other video i've ever shot and edited, this one's pretty crappy, too. all jittery and bouncy and such. but i promise: it's sincere.

"Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

Shred...it's the new drug
    thats pretty awesome!!! the family that shreds together... in my situation my wife would have to lead and my son would want to hit all the sweet jumps!!! Oh how cute...she has her own matching spandex...

Zipper
    Nice. Its good to see someone else actually out on a trail on a tandem
    Zipper aka Rob

banned
    I'd like to know who the artist was performing the music. It's refreshing not to hear metal music that most people making videos use to beat you over the head with.

last three...

Perfect by The The
    I Fed My Metal Bird The Wings Of Other Metal Birds by Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra
    I'm Sailin by Mazzy Star

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by The Prodigal Son
    I'd like to know who the artist was performing the music. It's refreshing not to hear metal music that most people making videos use to beat you over the head with.
    it's phoenix. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_(band)

mtbr member
    Bad-A$$!!
    You sir, are a lucky man.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmelin
    Bad-A$$!!
    You sir, are a lucky man.
    hey, thanks! (i think so, too)

mtbr member
    Nice Rocky! Is it really true that the 15 yr old fork on your tandem is the only suspension fork you own?

I can't get wifey to ride the tandem with me anymore but my 11 yr old is a pretty good stoker.

mtbr member
    Are those tandam bikes easy to control...Can you ride some rocky trails? Ive never riden one, but t would be cool to get the wife out on a ride...Does she have to pedal or can she just kinda sit there?

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    Is it really true that the 15 yr old fork on your tandem is the only suspension fork you own?
    yes. it's really true. but it's more like 10 years old, not 15.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by kensellu
    Are those tandam bikes easy to control...Can you ride some rocky trails? Ive never riden one, but t would be cool to get the wife out on a ride...Does she have to pedal or can she just kinda sit there?
    it's sorta akin to driving a motorhome. just gotta pay a new kind of attention, stuff like that... all the wheels are in different places, ya know... but, we ride ours pretty much everywhere. really really technical trails can be challenging. as can really really steep trails, going up. the stoker in back pedals in-time with the captain up front due to a timing chain that runs between the 2 cranksets. the captain steers. the stoker rings the oncoming traffic bell. the kid on the trailabike can do whatever she wants... in our case, mostly she sings, talks, and asks to stop for a snack every few minutes.

Zipper
    Quote Originally Posted by kensellu
    Tandems take a lot of team work when ridden off road.

You can ride rocky trails though you have to be careful of drops and not high centering your frame

as for just sitting there you can buy a tandem crank set that the back person to coast while the front pedals but that puts a lot of work in the person pedaling as that person is now pedaling a 50lb + bike plus the weight of the person. So while the stoker could just sit there it would make a lot more work for you the captain.
    Zipper aka Rob

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler
    yes. it's really true. but it's more like 10 years old, not 15.
    Tell the truth I suspect there are elastomers in there.

I find that I have to really think about where the rear wheel is going to track. And steering a tandem is an upper body workout for sure. It's difficult to climb trails with large waterbars without stalling. pedal strikes, or chainring smashing. Schultz Creek is a really fun downhill on a tandem.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i hafta wonder if riding in the back causes the worst bumps, kinda like how it was when you used to sitting above the wheel well in the schoolbus when the driver was half wasted...

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    i hafta wonder if riding in the back causes the worst bumps, kinda like how it was when you used to sitting above the wheel well in the schoolbus when the driver was half wasted...
    yes. i have heard: riding in the back is worse than riding up front. all my stokers tell me that.