mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Taking a job in Tempe starting late April

I will be relocating my family for 6-9 months. Any suggestions on a decent part of town to live in? We are looking for a 2-3 bedroom house with a garage and pool, preferably near a park that can be easily walked to as we have a 20 month old.

As far as riding, I know about South Mountain but any other suggestions for where I should take my Mojo HD?

Shred...it's the new drug
    Lots of great houses in south Tempe, If you want to live near SOMO I'd say look at Ahwatukee. I'm a turkeey and love it here. Parks, trails, close to airport and tempe and freeways. Good stuff. You could ride somo for years and not get bored. But for something different PMP, Hawes, Estrella, BCT, Deems, and probably 20 other riding area's within 2 hours time...yeah it's awesome here

mtbr member
    Chandler and Gilbert are very nice for a family.

mtbr member

I lived near Basline and McClintock in the late 90's. nice older neighborhood and close to parks and freeway access too.

Sent from your Moms phone using Tapinthat.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for all the advice! We found a couple options we really like, one in Tempe and one in Scottsdale. We should know which we go with by Monday.

How do Schwable Hans Dampf tires work for the terrain out there? Should I grab some other tires before moving?

mtbr member
    Can't speak personally to the Hans Dampf, but regardless of brand, sidewall protection is a must!

EDR

Re: Taking a job in Tempe starting late April

Quote Originally Posted by anomaly View Post
    Thanks for all the advice! We found a couple options we really like, one in Tempe and one in Scottsdale. We should know which we go with by Monday.

How do Schwable Hans Dampf tires work for the terrain out there? Should I grab some other tires before moving?
    If those tires have the snake skin side walls that's a big plus for around here. I've never use those tires myself but just by looking at them I'm sure they're fine choice for our desert terrain

Happy Trails

Chandler and Gilbert good family areas but no trail riding without driving. E Mesa (near Power and Thomas, ie Las Sendas neighborhood) is very affordable and good riding. N Scottsdale is generally considered the most desirable area to live in and anywhere east of the 101 has rideable access to trails. I used to live in Awatukee at Club West Neighborhood and rode a lot of SoMo, and I don't know that much about N Phoenix other than wayyyy north on Black Canyon Trail, but I know there are good trails in North Phoenix. ... What I can tell you is that the ride-out-your-front-door trail access (and road riding) in Fountain Hills is as good as it gets for PHX metropolitan area riding.this is the good stuff.
    Taking a job in Tempe starting late April-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365228185.016950.jpg
    Taking a job in Tempe starting late April-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365228274.528995.jpg
    Taking a job in Tempe starting late April-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365228326.725465.jpg
    Taking a job in Tempe starting late April-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365228414.769000.jpg

Kathleen in AZ
    If you're going to work in Tempe, get a house in or near Tempe! Stay close to South Mountain & close to work - keep your commute to a minimum so you have more family and fun time! The NE side of Ahwatukee is ideal for mtn bikers who work in Tempe. I've been here for 13 years, living in Ahwatukee and working in Tempe. I love being able to roll out my garage to ride SoMo, and my work commute (by car or bike) is a piece of cake.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    If you're going to work in Tempe, get a house in or near Tempe! Stay close to South Mountain & close to work - keep your commute to a minimum so you have more family and fun time! The NE side of Ahwatukee is ideal for mtn bikers who work in Tempe. I've been here for 13 years, living in Ahwatukee and working in Tempe. I love being able to roll out my garage to ride SoMo, and my work commute (by car or bike) is a piece of cake.
    Hey! You and latedropbob be quiet. It stinks in Ahwatukee! Too close to the trails that I never have time to work on my bike because I am always riding instead of wrenching. It's brutal. Riding my bike to Hillside spot for a date night is awful too.

Bob

I kid. The 'tuke is awesome.

Vincit qui patitur
    Another for Tukee!!!!!
    You said short term?
    House or apartment?
    There are some apartments with garages available near SOMO
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

Vincit qui patitur
    Quote Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
    Another for Tukee!!!!!
    You said short term?
    House or apartment?
    There are some apartments with garages available near SOMO
    I re-read and you stated house.
    There are some TH style apartments too.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

Happy Trails

Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    If you're going to work in Tempe, get a house in or near Tempe! Stay close to South Mountain & close to work - keep your commute to a minimum so you have more family and fun time! The NE side of Ahwatukee ....
    I change my vote. This is a good call.

mtbr member
    Live in Tempe and LOVE it. Close to everything close to freeways that go to everything. I have lived in North Scottsdale, Goodyear and Tempe. If I had to do it again I would be in Tempe, specially if I worked in here. Otherwise far northeast Tukee would be my second choice.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    You can live in Chandler or Gilbert but will beat yourself with a windshield wiper with the commute on the 60. tempe/scottsdale or tukee.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!