Thread: T-bird

mtbr member

T-bird

Finally took a shot at it today since it is not a weekend and was not a hikers paradise. It really is a great little trail. Only trail I did not like much was H2. With all the "stairs", it just was not fun for me. All the other trails were really nice. I think next time, I will do H3 a few times and then cross the over pass and do H1 till it ends south and return to do H4, H4a, H4b and H1 to the amphitheater a few times. But really an impressive little trail, and right in town (Now how to scare all the hikers away hmmm ). Awesome
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

Go Speed Racer
    Did you go up or down the stairs on H2? I usually ride H2 CCW and go down the stairs. Yes it starts with a VERY challenging climb, but I just think of the blast I am about to have going down them stairs. Really is cool how much different those three mountains are out there. That is the closest place to my house to ride, and it has recently become one of my favorite places for a quick ride.

mtbr member
    I went CCW also, but even going down the stairs was ok, but not really fun for me, especially when some chick running down them was beating me lol. I definately do not mind "some" chunk, and a few "stairs" would be alright, but DAMN, both sides of H2 have them (much worse on the north though). H3 even had a few, but I did not mind that at all (H3 was friggin awesome). I'm weird I know!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Those are some fun trails, a few of us were out there recently to scout the area. It'll be cooling off soon enough, then the plan will be to link T-Bird, Deem Hills & Sonoran North/South into a sweet NW Valley all day ride.

From Gill's Revenge at Thunderbird

From Gill's Revenge at Thunderbird
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Give it a crank
    Those are some nice trails out there, they've been cleaned up quite a bit from all the loose rock, and a lot easier to ride. You covered almost all the trails except the cool switchbacks on the small hill on the west end, you looped around them.

They're doable both up and down, then add an up-and-back stint to the top of the hill. I used to live a mile away and would ride it several times a week. It's packed with hikers in the mornings but afternoons are have fewer hikers.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks, I will check them out next time. I might do it again Friday. Tomorrow I am going to try FINS. Speaking of which I need to post to get a gpx file from someone.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    It'll be cooling off soon enough, then the plan will be to link T-Bird, Deem Hills & Sonoran North/South into a sweet NW Valley all day ride.
    PLEASE let me know when you do this. I would love to join you guys on this ride!

mtbr member
    and don't forget to include Sunrise Mtn trails NW of T'bird. Short, but techy challenge. In total, this ride will have a shite load of climbing!

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RobZona View Post
    and don't forget to include Sunrise Mtn trails NW of T'bird. Short, but techy challenge. In total, this ride will have a shite load of climbing!
    I am not sure where those trails are at? Do you have a map?

Edit: Ok, I found it on google maps... I will have to check that out... Looks like I will probably need to drive there though, looks like too much pavement to me to get there from T-Bird.

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Those are some fun trails, a few of us were out there recently to scout the area. It'll be cooling off soon enough, then the plan will be to link T-Bird, Deem Hills & Sonoran North/South into a sweet NW Valley all day ride.
    I'd like to get in on this adventure.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I'll post up ride details for those wanting to get in on the all day adventure when the time comes. Right now I'm thinking the ride would start from the parking area on the west side of Deem Hills. Maybe some people who live in the area could post up some possible re-supply spots? I'm coming in from Queen Creek & don't really know the specifics of the area other than getting familiar with the trails.

Potential route could be to do a short warmup lap @ Deem, head over to T-Bird, back through Deem to SMP south for one of the loops then up to the north to hit the goods there. Then finish up with another loop in the south & over to Deem to the finish. Just a thought.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    I had a good route in mind to include Deem Hills, across I-17 bridge to Sonoran, T'bird (resupply @ Circle K Happy Valley and 67th ave or mi casa at Sunrise Mtn trail, include singletrack goods in Pinnacle Peak area, returning across 51th ave canal bridge..but the canal bridge fence was repaired/sealed off again It might be "reopened" by someone by then, but will have to check before the ride starts.

My plan B-- reroute Pinnacle peak area, return through Sonoran Mtn Ranch and rec trail along canal to Deem Hills starting point. Not sure of the est time/miles yet, but guessing roughly 5-6+ hrs depending on route. Water and restrooms at Deem Hills Park TH.

Nothing highly technical, just a long fun day with 1 h-a-b section, short road connections, climbing, and fast sections, with numerous bailouts opportunities if needed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Has anyone found a route from Sunrise Mountain to Vistancia (other than going down Happy Valley of course)? Surely there are old dirt bike trails that cut across that large wash. I don't like the Sunrise Mountain trail that much, but it's just behind my back wall.

Give it a crank
    You have to get across the big wash of the Agua Fria River which is too big. Happy Valley Rd. is the easiest way across. A lot has changed since the 303 went in, but there used to be a jeep trail near the canal between Twin Peaks and Calderwood Butte. Worth exploring if it's still accessible.

mtbr member
    I think the biggest obstacle for a West Wing/Cibola--Vistancia route is the chainlink fence along both sides of loop 303, but there has to be a opening somewhere for a mtbr to cross.
    Maybe someone here has already found the crossing points?
    Or do an end run north of the 303/L. Pleasant road intersection and cross the canal on one of the narrow walkover bridges?

Rhino
    I am no expert of the NW valley riding, but during exploration...

The Beardsley Canal crosses under the 303 between the Aqua Fria and Vistancia, and also south, just north of Happy Valley Road. Lone Mountain crosses under the 303 just east of Vistancia. The Aqua Fria crosses under the 303 near west of Lake Pleasant Parkway.

I recently responded to an ADOT survey pertaining to their bicycle program and I specifically mentioned that it was desired to have crossings under future freeways, even if they are only big box culverts that we are able to ride through. I am hoping they do not make the same mistake with the the 303 on the West Side and SW Valley like they did up north and land lock you dudes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    I am not sure where those trails are at? Do you have a map?

Edit: Ok, I found it on google maps... I will have to check that out... Looks like I will probably need to drive there though, looks like too much pavement to me to get there from T-Bird.
    it's only a couple of miles or so of flat cruise through the no/low traffic streets and across a flat desert area. Good chance to regroup and recover before climbing the sunrise mtn trail.
    Kind of like the FOTP ride, which BTW has much more road riding, but is crazy fun. 70 miles total/all day.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RobZona View Post
    it's only a couple of miles or so of flat cruise through the no/low traffic streets and across a flat desert area. Good chance to regroup and recover before climbing the sunrise mtn trail.
    Kind of like the FOTP ride, which BTW has much more road riding, but is crazy fun. 70 miles total/all day.
    I was looking on google maps to try to figure this out... I want to start adding this to my usual t-bird route... Do you happen to have a GPS of this connection? I could use a little help so that I do not end up wandering around out there! Just want to minimize the pavement (my bike has a severe allergy problem with asphalt)

Give it a crank
    There's a dirt connection across New River along Pinnacle Peak Rd. You can also ride under the big power lines less than a mile north for a longer dirt route. With fat tires you might even be able to ride down the wash between the two.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    There's a dirt connection across New River along Pinnacle Peak Rd. You can also ride under the big power lines less than a mile north for a longer dirt route. With fat tires you might even be able to ride down the wash between the two.
    Thanks, I think I found a route now... I live right at 75th and Deer Valley. It looks like I can take 75 ave until it ends and then follow the New River trail over to Happy Valley, then cross happy valley and ride some trails up to 83rd ave, take 83rd ave up to West Wing Mountain school and hit the trail head there.

Sound like a good plan?

Edit: I went exploring after work today (dang it was toasty out), and made it to the trail head and rode about 1-2 miles of the trail. What I rode was not too bad... On the way I came across a small pond in the middle of the desert, that was unexpected!

T-bird-488289_4486174637755_730981486_n.jpg

T-bird-551994_4486161517427_503799164_n.jpg

T-bird-297424_4486159197369_60269835_n.jpg
    Last edited by mtbdennis; 08-17-2012 at 04:27 PM.