mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Swiss America Tues night Road ride....

I finally hit up the Tues night Bel Air night road ride tonight (got done just before the wall of dust) and was wondering if any of you other MTB'rs hit up this road ride on yer road bikes..?

I know there are a few of you out there that do RB's as well as MTB....kicked my *&@#!s tonight...need to ride at that level/speed more often. One day I might even be a better rider

Lemme know if you hit it up as I plan on going as often as possible from here on out...
    Last edited by AZG23; 07-05-2011 at 10:21 PM. Reason: spellinkz

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I don't ride that one as its on the other side of the world from me.

I do road more than mountain (I was just getting into mountain when I had a nice long surgery 4 weeks ago)

Pre-surgery I could hold at 20-22 on flat ground all day long. Now - well, going to take a while to build back up to that stamina.

I will say it does help for endurance thats for sure!
    Yes, I'm the crazy christmas guy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    yeah...the main group pulled away from me.. but I held about a 20-23 mph pace for my loops....wind sucked tonight. Definitely need to build myself up more.

mtbr member
    I go out there every now and then. It's a good speed work ride for sure. Another food ride is the thursday night ride from tribe Multisport in south Scottsdale.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Tues morning Ahwatukee ride from Fry's....if you want to suffer, hang on as long as you can up front.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cru_jones View Post
    Tues morning Ahwatukee ride from Fry's....if you want to suffer, hang on as long as you can up front.
    Which Frys? and how long are the rides typically? (and start time - darn having to get to work at 7am crap...)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The Swiss Ride is always a great time... Im there most every week for my butt kicking. Its great group and it always starts on time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankAZ View Post
    Which Frys? and how long are the rides typically? (and start time - darn having to get to work at 7am crap...)
    Fry's on Ray Rd at Ranch Circle. Tues morning is 35ish miles through Awhatukee. Lots of guys pick up along the way, and drop off. Total time usually about 1:45. Some fast females also, they punish most of the group on the climbs. Fast sprint at the end of Pecos twice.

Thurs morning is hill repeats; 5 hills, 3 climbs each...about 1:30. It's tough (especially in the heat), but it's to work on form. Always regroup after each set.

5:30 start time for both.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cru_jones View Post
    Fry's on Ray Rd at Ranch Circle. Tues morning is 35ish miles through Awhatukee. Lots of guys pick up along the way, and drop off. Total time usually about 1:45. Some fast females also, they punish most of the group on the climbs. Fast sprint at the end of Pecos twice.

Thurs morning is hill repeats; 5 hills, 3 climbs each...about 1:30. It's tough (especially in the heat), but it's to work on form. Always regroup after each set.

5:30 start time for both.
    Somehow I had the group liked on a facebook feed and saw this just before your post (go figure) - but - it doesn't leave me enough time to ride, get home, cleaned up and at work on time. Sounds a bit faster than I've been riding lately - but - should be able to keep pace if I can ever make it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by XL29r View Post
    The Swiss Ride is always a great time... Im there most every week for my butt kicking. Its great group and it always starts on time
    Cool...Im gonna start going every tuesday. Im on an older white and blue steel bike with aerobars and mtn shoes

Name is Brad..been parking at the old Marie Calendars lot..

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm there every week. I will look for you next week and say hi. The group has a lot of mountain bikers in it that us the ride for race training. The lead group usually averages 25-27mph depending on the night and wind.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZG23 View Post
    Cool...Im gonna start going every tuesday. Im on an older white and blue steel bike with aerobars and mtn shoes

Name is Brad..been parking at the old Marie Calendars lot..
    Do you drive one of the Jeep Wranglers that was parked there Tuesday? This week was tough with the wind. It blew the group apart fast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    I'm there every week. I will look for you next week and say hi. The group has a lot of mountain bikers in it that us the ride for race training. The lead group usually averages 25-27mph depending on the night and wind.
    Hey!!! This is a fun ride - I have done it pretty much every Tuesday for the past 5-6 years (except past couple of months) and there are a lot of Mountain bikers and riders of all skill levels that show up. You can go as fast as you want - or just take it easy and there is always someone to ride with - highly recommended ride.

There is also a new group ride on Tuesday nights in the north valley that is more "Crit" style that has been running the past couple of months. It is a lot like the Swiss ride, however a lot faster and harder with someone that is always willing to pull through and push the pace...

Oh... and check out the Thursday night Anthem ride...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Buncha road hogging roadies!!! Dont you know this is a MTB forum haha I cant wait till I get my Roadbike and can come be a back marker with you guys. You guys FLY! At least I know Brad will be at the back with me

mtbr member
    I used to do the Swiss ride w/ Tamen all the time too. He is right- a great ride with good folks.

I recommend parking at Swiss American- you can change in thier bathroom, pick up some last minute goodies and if you need to do any maintenance- they are there to help you out.

Some features of the ride: Always starts promptly. You need a headlight and tailight-not the most powerful, just enough to be seen. Traffic is light and safe. They always start with 2 warm up loops- great for socializing and finding out where you might fit in speed wise. Seems like no matter how out of shape I am in, I can always find a partner or three. After the ride- some cruise across the street from Swiss to Padres for a cold soda or beer and some bike talk. I haven't been out in a while- but need to get in there when I can.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    I pop in on that ride every now and then. Tamen's favorite thing is poping people off the back when he pulls through. He can lay it down!
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    Do you drive one of the Jeep Wranglers that was parked there Tuesday? This week was tough with the wind. It blew the group apart fast.

yep....mines the darker gray with black hardtop...other one is a buddy from work thats getting into mtn biking.

And yeah..the wind sucked hugent!

Im off now on tuesdays so Ill be ontime for the warmup laps too...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00 View Post
    Hey!!! This is a fun ride - I have done it pretty much every Tuesday for the past 5-6 years (except past couple of months) and there are a lot of Mountain bikers and riders of all skill levels that show up. You can go as fast as you want - or just take it easy and there is always someone to ride with - highly recommended ride.

There is also a new group ride on Tuesday nights in the north valley that is more "Crit" style that has been running the past couple of months. It is a lot like the Swiss ride, however a lot faster and harder with someone that is always willing to pull through and push the pace...

Oh... and check out the Thursday night Anthem ride...

Thanks for the info...one day I wont suck as much as I do right now

mtbr member
    We started a north valley road crit ride last summer. Several regular riders for a while, then dropped off with approaching cooler weather in Oct.

Let's get this one going again. 3.5+ mile loop ride, very safe, restrooms and ample parking at Deem Hills Rec area.

Thurs night road rides---Stetson Valley circuit
    NEW WEEKLY(Thurs) road ride in Stetson Valley, north of Happy
    Valley/51st intersection.

What: Road training on 3.5+ mile scenic loop, low traffic streets, with
    90% bike lane. Safe area to ride--no through traffic.
    1st lap warm-up, route-learning cruise, etc.

All rider abilities welcome

When: Thurs nights starting at 6:30.

Where: From Happy Valley & 51st ave---go north on 51st 0.7 mi, turn right
    on W. Deems Hills Pkwy 0.5 mile to Stetson Hill Park on right
    . Course passes passes north bound on Deems Hills Pkwy. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...23003&t=h&z=15.

Bring: Road bike,and lights.

mtbr member
    ignore the google map, it's wrong.

The directions off Happy Valley to Deem Hills Parkway are correct.