slower than you

The suspect is described as: VANDEMAN, Michael J.

Not really AZ news per-se, but to anyone who's been lurking around teh internets tubes on bicycle-related forums (especially rec.bicycles on usenet) at all during the past decade or so, this comes as surprising (and some might add, long overdue) news. Mike Vandeman, the great hater of mountain bikers... busted... for assault.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The suspect is described as: VANDEMAN, Michael J.-vandeman.jpg  

"May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    he's afflicted with Woody Allen hair...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'll start carrying my folding pruning saw. As a past landscaper I'm good with it and I took fencing in high school. Grrrrrrrr!
    agmtb

I am Doctor Remulak
    I was reading the updates earlier in the week on the NorCal board. This guy is a nutbag and has been trolling MTB related internet sites for years. I remember him around here in the late 90's

banned

He's not the only dangerous person lurking in the woods

His lawyer was able to plea bargin his choice of sweaters down to a misdemeanor.

Lot's of you ride in Flagstaff during the year. You don't plan a ride and think about what you would do if attacked while riding on a trail. This might be a reminder to at least have a plan of action. A woman who worked at Absolute Bikes was assaulted by a homeless man, while out on a trail near Buffalo Park. She escaped, but only after fighting for her life. I was doing trail work years ago when another local transient came up behind me and grabbed my 5 pound pick mattock and threatened me with it. He mumbled something about western style justice and insisted I leave the woods. I complied, despite the fact I could have taken my pick from him with little trouble. In these situations, you have to consider the person is mentally ill, possibly a vet who carries a firearm and is looking for an excuse to use it. I contacted the Forest Service and made a report. They have encountered him a number of times, I understand.

I've told my wife to stay alert and to turn and ride away if she sees someone suspicious on the trail ahead of her. Often an attack is preceeded by a person blocking the trail and saying he needs medical assitance or directions. Then he gets close enough to take you down or he distracts you while his partner comes up behind you. You can ride a hundred yards away and then communicate that you have a number of friends just a short distance behind you. You can also tell them you are alerting 911 and will have law enforcement on the way shortly. Watch their hands and make sure they are empty, and do not let them approach you. Even if you just turn and ride away, ne sure to call 911 ASAP and make a report. You don't want to find out the next rider to pass by was attacked.

And that nutcase I ran into years ago while doing trail work; I've seen him three times since. He went by the alias, Cliff Rose. He occasionally lives in a cave at the base of Mt. Elden. My last encounter with him was last summer. He still had attitude and took a fighting stance, like he knew marshall arts. I told him I have 30 pounds on him and work out a lot and was well trained during police academy years ago and he might want to hang onto the few remaining teeth he still has. He backed down but he still has a strong hatred for mountain bikers and could do something crazy like run a clothesline across the trail. Stay alert and have a plan if you encounter someone like this while riding.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by The Prodigal Son
    And that nutcase I ran into years ago while doing trail work; I've seen him three times since. He went by the alias, Cliff Rose. He occasionally lives in a cave at the base of Mt. Elden. My last encounter with him was last summer. He still had attitude and took a fighting stance, like he knew marshall arts.
    yeah. cliff rose. he's a nut. i've had a couple encounters with him over the years, too. once he hit my front tire with his stick. i told him, "that's enough!" and he backed away some. but he's got a funky vibe. mean. that's for sure. there's danger in his demeanor. i agree.

i haven't seen him yet this season, but i saw him around town last year, walking around carrying his stick and his pack, as is his habit. when he finally got fully-busted a few years ago, i visited his 'cave' after he got sent down-valley for a bit, before usfs & county volunteers filled some 40 bags with his stuff. i say 'cave' only because it was, without a doubt, the most elaborate, carefully organized, well-lived-in, clothing- & book-filled 'cave' i've ever been in. nice view, too. quite a trip.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Prodigal Son
    This might be a reminder to at least have a plan of action.
    Yes... saw wielding attackers get two to the chest and one to the head.

mtbr member
    Anyone have a pic of this "Cliff Rose" so I know who to look for?

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    long stringy blonde hair,, usually a bandanna,,, oh wait,, nevermind that's axl...

I am the Tin Man!
    He asked him why he cut him across the chest with a saw? I can only imagine one of two responses to an incident like that and neither involves talking, either I am beating feet out of there cause dude looks like he is gonna finish the job or I am pounding his head with a rock. Why did those guys wait 6 weeks to report it?
    Flyin the TallBoy and the Lynskey...Clyde style.

SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler
    i say 'cave' only because it was, without a doubt, the most elaborate, carefully organized, well-lived-in, clothing- & book-filled 'cave' i've ever been in. quite a trip.
    Sounds like the garage my brother lives in. These wackos are certainly suffering from some form of mental issue that they refuse to be treated for. Their lives are a disaster and their mothers suffer their whole lives thinking they will be normal people some day.

I wish my brother would write a book, so I could get a better idea where he started to go off track. He seemed pretty normal until about the age of 25.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The suspect is described as: VANDEMAN, Michael J.-kubota.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Saw this in the SoCal forum too. I think this is his blog... whacko!

http://trailkillerz.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue
    Saw this in the SoCal forum too. I think this is his blog... whacko!

http://trailkillerz.blogspot.com/

Funny how his blog has bike related ads on it.

Members who have read this thread: 3