mtbr member

Sunrise, West and East WIng updates?

I just moved to 75th and Utopia in NW Phx and started to look for trails very close by for a quick ride when I don't have time to venture too far. I already searched and the info found was at least 6-12 months old, so I wondered if there was any new news, GPx. files, maps or suggestions?

I know about T-bird park. Looks like a great place to get in some hill work for LT and power work, but the number of hikers there is ridiculous looking from the road, and they most do not look like trail savvy hikers, so conflict with them might just be too crappy.

Read about West, East Wings and Sunrise trails on the Peoria site. They look to be not overly technical, but still pretty fun! They don't look like they have turned into trendy hiking spots yet so that may be good. Who in the area has some great knowledge of the area and wants to show me around? If no one has the great knowledge, who wants to go gather it with me? I am running by my LBS (Swiss since 1980) to hit up my guys there.

I am also interested in Pyramid Peak as I used to ride moto out there in the 80's and 90's from our house on 35th ave and Bell. I know back then it would be torn up and sandy from all the motorized stuff, but it looks pretty closed to them now from the canal and 51st ave. There is a lot of possibilty in there if the motors aren't in that area.

Anyone got any good ideas or better links to threads in here than I could find? Thanks!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Welcome. Thunderbird is ok to ride during off peak hours, in the middle of the day. You can also ride the east side of the park, not sure the name of the trail. It gets less hiker traffic. It used to be very rocky, but I think they have smoothed it out. West wing is not as crowded with hikers. Though it not really a great mtb trail either. Not very flowy. It is off chambered and they laid down gravel on it, which is loose. When you get around the backside to the east loop it gets better. There is a large group that does frequent rides around Thunderbird, West Wing and Vistancia. PM me and I'll forward you the email to get on the list. We dont have much for really good close by singletrack without driving twenty mins. The good news is we have BCT in our backyard. You can start of New River Rd at the ramamdas just prior to hwy 17. Or ten more mins puts you at Table Mesa and its better riding. Ten more minutes and your at Rock Springs, even better riding. I ride mid week. Hit me up if you want ride some of the stuff out here.

drink coffee, ride.
    2nd that on T-bird, good treadmill type ride. H1 is the trail on the east side of 59th ave, headed to the south east - not bad and nearly no foot traffic.

East Wing West Wing, yep fun but short. Some crazy silly steep sections, just poorly designed, but overall great for being able to ride from my garage. New one I just found are off of Jomax and about 112th ave, starting almost in the wash. Again some just plain foolish switchback layouts but fun overall for being able to ride from home.

Haven't been to the Pyramid Peak stuff in at least a year, so don't know how much they have deteriorated due to atv's but on the hillside should be good still.

sorry, no gpx's, don't own one, just a sense to go out and ride, and hope not to get lost!

Trail Monger
    West wing mtn pretty much tech and no flow. The billy goat trails are new and not easy at all. I have not checked out sunrise mtn yet. Is there an east mtn? I thought this thread was about MSP...

mtbr member
    rode Pyramid Peak trails Tues and it's still a good x/c ride area. There is new single-track just east of the "boulders", with steep ups/downs and very good flow. Very rarely gets moto traffic since it's officially closed to motorized.

Trail Monger
    These trails in Peoria have been there for year or more. Westwing is pretty new. Where is the eastwing?

mtbr member
    east wing? don't think there is one..

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Too bad we dont have more trails in north Glendale/ Peoria. There is so much potential out there. We need a some stuff like FINS North. Anyone have a rake?

drink coffee, ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobZona
    east wing? don't think there is one..
    East Wing mtn is actually accessed through the Sonoran Mtn Ranch sub. very similar to the west wing trails, some crazy sharp switches and steeps, but fun overall. more tech than flowy again and wouldn't trade them for BCT, but good local distractions.

city of peoria has maps on their website, with trailhead locations. If I remember correctly, it under the parks and rec section.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I live at 67th Ave and Union Hills. I ride Pyramid Peak at least once a week. I also frequent Swiss. Hit me up if you want a tour of Pyramid Peak. We often do Thur. night rides out there. I rode out there Sunday. Lots of erosion from recent rains but still lots of good trails if you know how to link then up.

mtbr member
    revisited the Sunrise Mtn trails, my new local close to home trails. It's actually better now than several months back. Good amount of hiker traffic, but that has helped. Still have to hike a few spots, but those help the tech skills. Looks like more potential trails up there, if not already there. I hoping the westbound trail at the saddle can be connected to something. I know this is an old mining trail ( lots of babyheads) descending south toward Happy Valley, so that's a good start.

Trail Monger
    I rode out there finally. It is pretty good... Not like BCT or our regional parks comp tracks. Sunrise has some rugged climbs. One thing I noticed, there are a lot of joggers and walkers. Has anyone checked out the Sonoran Preserve? Namely the sidewinder trail? want to check out that soon.

Click Click Click
    Quote Originally Posted by brilog View Post
    I rode out there finally. It is pretty good... Not like BCT or our regional parks comp tracks. Sunrise has some rugged climbs. One thing I noticed, there are a lot of joggers and walkers. Has anyone checked out the Sonoran Preserve? Namely the sidewinder trail? want to check out that soon.
    I have ridden Sonoran Preserve quite a bit. VERY smooth (almost like pavement) for most if it. Lots of elevation change, makes for some really fast and fun downhills. Not a lot of hikers. Great place to work on cardio, but not tech skills.

Members who have read this thread: 0