Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Sunrise this weekend, Clipless or Flats?

Any suggestions? Going to head up and hit sunrise this Saturday. Last time I rode sunrise I did so in flats and handled most of it fine (about a year ago). Since then my skill level has improved and I pretty much ride everything clipless now. Ridden geronimo once and national a bunch of times and feel comfortable enough clipped in.

I'd bring both, but i'm going to be dropped off by my wife and don't want to carry a set of flats/shoes as well as my normal setup. If they have lockers for rent this would probably solve the problem.

However, how do you guys ride when you hit up places like sunrise?

Thanks in advance!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Tough call, I used to ride clips all the time including all the dh on south and bootleg but if it gets muddy and squirrely up there I'd want to be in flats.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Zipper
    I run Clips on everything except the Unicycle ( Don't think that would work out too well )

I say if you're used to clips then use clips
    Zipper aka Rob

Downhill Spokesmodel

I've used clips there forever.

They do however have the coin lockers in the lodge if you want to bring a backup.
    Now I DRIVE the short bus!!

Help increase ShortBus' rep

mtbr member
    Flats all the way!

(clipless pedals provide no real value )

mtbr member
    Clips.

Pivotal figure
    If you're used to running clipless, stick with them. I wouldn't want to try riding there with a different setup than my normal gear. I prefer flats but that's just a personal preference.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Ridin bikes is fun
    I had never ridden on flats before, but my last trip to Sunrise also my first, I decided to try flats due to that type of riding. I have never had a problem getting out of my clipless peddles but trying to get clipped back in while being bounced around or after stopping to check out a line while at Sunrise. I knew it was time to try flats. I also plan to hit up Sunrise this Saturday. I've had a few good rides now on the flats and so far the only down side is when I go air born I feel that my bike is not attached. Probably cause it's not. I plan to adapt to that though.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

sandbagger
    i dont know who in their right mind would run clips if your actually doing sticks and stones etc. take a face plant or go over the bars off a drop into some trees and have your legs stuck ? you need to be able to bail if your doing it right, just my opinion if your riding actual trails.
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

EDR
    i dont know who in their right mind would run clips if your actually doing sticks and stones etc.......
    you need to be able to bail if your doing it right, just my opinion if your riding actual trails.
    The thing is though lots of folks ride everything clipped in and can bail just fine. Maybe not the kind of bail where you push off the bike while 6 feet in the air and land on your feet, but I doubt OP is expecting to ride like that.

I've ridden up there only a couple of times and the second time I took flats. It worked out pretty good even though I suck on flats. With little to no climbing it's sorta nice to be able to dab, but still, if you are super comfortable on clipless and not so comfy with flats I'd stick with what you know. Big changes on new terrain always seem to lead to feeling out of place on the trail for me.

I vote for bringing the flats. Put them in the locker. Make a first run or two clipless, then swap. You'll know pretty quickly what to do next...and you'll know what to bring next time.

sandbagger
    sure hope OP is wearing body armor and full face then
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by airmiller44
    sure hope OP is wearing body armor and full face then
    I wasn't, and had a great time.

Not everyone hucks 20 foot gaps and 6 ft drops to tranny like you. You sound young. I really don't mean this in a derogatory way, it just seems that your one sided opinion means you haven't experienced the other side of it. Many pro d/h'r ride clipless, don't they? I still say to the OP, ride what you are most comfortable in, but give flats a try.

Downhill Spokesmodel
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    The thing is though lots of folks ride everything clipped in and can bail just fine. +1

.. if you are super comfortable on clipless and not so comfy with flats I'd stick with what you know. +1

I vote for bringing the flats. Put them in the locker. Make a first run or two clipless, then swap. You'll know pretty quickly what to do next...and you'll know what to bring next time. +1
    I personally like being clipped in when catching air, or in very rough terrain at high speed.
    I use the old school DX pedals. Enough platform to grab the pedal with the shoe to get clipped in, or at least ride it out. I set my retention kinda loose so it just takes a twitch of the ankle (developed over many years) to unclip.*

*disclaimer unclipping has been found to occur approximately 99.9958% of the time for me. The other .0042% of the time can be painful or embarrassing, or both.

EDR
    I personally like being clipped in when catching air, or in very rough terrain at high speed.
    I'm the same way. I have tried to go back to flats but I'm instantly reminded of how nice it is to be attached to the bike in high speed stutter and chunk....and my feet tend to come off the pedals in the air with flats. Like I said, I suck at riding flats so to each his own.

sandbagger
    To each his own. No offense taken. On my rig I cannot even slightly move my feet if I wanted to under speed or drops. Probably the shoe / pedal combo and its Probably the same feeling u get from clips so I get it.
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    i'm no expert rider but have ridden sunrise multiple times with a HT and flats with no issues

Downhill Spokesmodel
    [QUOTE=airmiller44Probably the shoe / pedal combo.... [/QUOTE]

That's what I hear nowadays.
    I'll have to try that when I have some cash to blow on some quality shoes and pedals.
    What are those 5tens going for?
    And how much for a good set of pedals?

I guess last time I really tried platforms was last century.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortBusJames
    That's what I hear nowadays.
    I'll have to try that when I have some cash to blow on some quality shoes and pedals.
    What are those 5tens going for?
    And how much for a good set of pedals?

I guess last time I really tried platforms was last century.
    shopping on sale i got a set of 5.10 Remys for $55 and azonic 420 pedals for $75. I dont use em often, but ive been very pleased for jumps or when i will be off the bike a lot.

EDR
    To each his own. No offense taken. On my rig I cannot even slightly move my feet if I wanted to under speed or drops. Probably the shoe / pedal combo and its Probably the same feeling u get from clips so I get it.
    I don't believe it's just the shoes. Riding flats is a skill that is learned. It must be. Especially in the air. I wish I had that skill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Wow. Didn't think this thread would generate this much enthusiasm. I think i'll go the locker route and try clips first and back down to the flats if i need it.

And yes, i'll have some good protection on: Full face, 661 Compression Suit, Race Face Rally FR leg/shin. I'm not really worried about OTB and being connected to the bike, all the times i've gone otb on national or an equivalent trail i've managed alright.

As far as sticks and stones, i don't remember there being more than about a 2-3' drop anywhere on that trail last time i rode it (at least the lines i took)- something i wouldn't think twice about on national.

surfndav: I'll be on an orange nomad with my buddy on a black vp free. say hi!

Pivotal figure
    James; 5.10's will make almost any pedal feel good
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    A flat on the left side and a clip on the right.
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by cramey

surfndav: I'll be on an orange nomad with my buddy on a black vp free. say hi!
    Cool, I'll look for you.

About the 5.10's I got mine at Cactus their not cheep $110 I think. I also bought a pair of Black Ops Toqulite peddles at the same time not cheep either, $100 I think. http://www.amazon.com/Black-Ops-Torq.../dp/B003COCZCC You can save a 20 here, I really like these peddles.

The thing I like about Cactus is they ride the same trails I ride and make recommendations to me directly based on how I want to ride. So I walk in not sure what I want and leave with some good bike stuff. Plus I can pay cash and then I don't have to get into it with the wife, if you get my drift. A little more money can lead to a happier home life...That's what I always say.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

How much further ???
    i dont know who in their right mind would run clips if your actually doing sticks and stones etc. take a face plant or go over the bars off a drop into some trees and have your legs stuck ? you need to be able to bail if your doing it right, just my opinion if your riding actual trails.
    For what its worth Im always amazed at how fast Im able to clip out of my pedals without thinking about it. Its like instinct now I guess. Ive literally stuffed the front wheel before and somehow managed to unclip and jump off the bike landing on my feet in front of my now twisted bike laying on the trail. To be honest I have no idea how I did it. It happened so fast.
    It all comes down to what you are comfortable with I suppose.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    you do realize that more than half of the top ten world cup racers are on clips right? if you're doing it right, you'll do whatever is comfortable. please, move to california, buy a leatt and a 951, then you can hang with other flat pedal fan boys.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast