Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sunrise Trail climb climb and climb

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Blatant 
#1 ·
Due to my lack of technical abilities and the recent post about the best singletrack in AZ I tried the Sunrise trail today. Starting at the 128th street trailhead and up and over the saddle and back down the other side. I nick name this trail the no-excuses trail because there is no reason why anyone with moderate skills on a mtb can't climb to the saddle without having to stop unless ofcourse the lungs or legs are screaming. The trail itself offers an excellent way to get in shape and provides excellent traction all the way up to the top. However, I could not help but realize how something in high in the air must be smelling sweeet?? Unlike riding at Hawes or SOMO, almost all the hikers have a tilt in their neck, and a strange looks on their faces? Reminds me of a recent South Park episode were kyles's dad buys a hybrid car and moves to San Fran to be with more people who "care about the environment". As when Kyle's dad joins the rest of the higher eschelon society they begin to smell their own farts. At any rate this gives me great joy as I am a third generation native to the state, and love people who have the attitude that they own the trails because they live within a mile of the trail head. Maybe next time i will ride with a loud speaker blasting slayer or something. Oh and thanks for the advice and directions WALT.

#2 ·
So what happened? Just some hikers with egos? Weekend warriors that discovered REI last week and went all out with thier $200 walking poles and $250 Merill hiking shoes?. Ok, now I've gone to far.:p
I think I will be on that trail Tuesday. I have been told there is a good climb. I will be on a SS. Don't know whether to be happy or sad about that. Probably happy after the climb.

#3 ·
Ah no harm no foul, just the vibe ya know! Probably the ole Easter Holiday weekend types out there that may have just discovered REI yes. I have a SS, but use it mainly for cruising right now. When I get in shape I will try hitting some trails with the kermit green santa cruz chamelion. I don't know if I will ever hit sunrise with the ss though, brutal climb. Although leaving from the 128th street trailhead there is not a lot of times the trail is tooo steep. I imagine you will be real happy after the climb as the descent will be fun and rewarding. What time you heading out on tuesday, i may be able to meet up with ya?

#7 ·
Konapdlr said:
So what happened? Just some hikers with egos? Weekend warriors that discovered REI last week and went all out with thier $200 walking poles and $250 Merill hiking shoes?. Ok, now I've gone to far.:p
I think I will be on that trail Tuesday. I have been told there is a good climb. I will be on a SS. Don't know whether to be happy or sad about that. Probably happy after the climb.
Don't think, we WILL be there! Happy after the climb? Hmmm, of course, you'll smoke the climb, but remember the gears coming down! :D "Muy rapido, Vamos, Dese Prisa"! :cool:

Anybody up for Tues ride there, let us know. We're coming from Chandler, can haul up to 4 or meet there. PM either Konapdlr or me. :cool:

#8 ·
Glad you guys (and gals...) are checking this out. I would play hookey and join you, but have to be in Vegas on business.

The hikers are generally pretty cool, but don't see NEARLY as many bikes as other trail systems, particularly on the east side. So they get surprised - more in the way of, "You're riding a bike on this?" Plus, there have been alot of snowbirds and visitors hiking who can't comprehend mountain biking. Just be cool and don't buzz them on the descent.

#9 ·
Been riding that area a bit since it's so close to me. I generally park at 124th St. Usually I take the Lost Dog route at the junction. Last week I decided to take the Sunrise fork. Wow. It was a pretty vicious climb up those loose rocks. Really wiped me. Coming back down was fun, though.

As a matter of fact, I was blasting Slayer "Reign in Blood," but it was on my iPod. :D

On a side note, I tried some new tires: IRC Mythos XC with Slime'd tubes. I hated -- I mean HATED -- the Maxxis Holy Rollers I had before; no traction and flatted every ride. The IRC tires, which I got on sale for $10 each, are holding right in there, haven't flatted yet in 7 or 8 rides and decent traction for a smaller tire.
dion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.