In the rear with the beer

Sunrise trail access

This may be a dumb question, but is a state trust land pass needed to ride on sunrise and/or any of the other trails around there that are part of the Quad-bypass route? Gonna ride in that area for the first time this weekend and want to avoid a fine....

Also, while i'm at it, any suggestions on a 2-3 hour loop? We may just start off at one of the trailheads with the map in hand and see where we end up....
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

Another Broken Spoke
    No, all of the trails you'll ride on are either City of Scottsdale's McDowell Sonoran Preserve, Fountain Hills Preserve, or McDowell Mountain Regional Park. When riding in the Park, you are supposed to pay $2 per bicycle at the entry point.

There is state trust land at the very top of upper quartz trail, but very few people ride there, as it's a dead end to no where.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

New Map Available

There is a great new interactive map of the McDowell Sonoran Preserve available here: http://mcdowellsonoran.org/map.html

For a 2-3 hour loop, depending on how fast you go:

Start at Lost Dog Trailhead (124th St north of Via Linda).
    Take Lost Dog to Quartz.
    Quart DOWN to Westworld Trail (dirt road).
    SE on Westworld to Taliesin.
    Taliesin back up to Quartz to Lost Dog.
    Lost Dog back to start if you've had enough

Want more?
    Take Old Jeep Trail to Ringtail, or Ringtail from Lost Dog
    to Sunrise
    Climb Sunrise
    Descend Sunrise East
    Ride road back to 124th St Trailhead.

All of this can be seen on the linked map. Let me know if you do any of this, and how you like it.....

I am Walt

3-hour ride

Start at the bottom of the Quartz trail, at the McDowell Mtn. Ranch Community Center with the pool (just south of McDowell Mtn. Ranch Rd. on 105th St.).

Up Quartz (access is hard to find past the farthest grill/patio area)
    Left on Paradise
    Continue all the way until it T's at lower Bell/Gateway
    Left on that trail
    Keep angling and bearing right
    Up Windgate to the top (1 hour climb)
    Down the other side
    Look for the right-hand turn, take a right over the Bell Connector towards Bell
    Bear right at the one junction
    Up to Bell Pass, then down (steep)
    All the way down to where Paradise T's in from the left
    Left on Paradise
    Right on Quartz
    And back to the Community Center

3 hard hours
    Ride more; post less...

In the rear with the beer
    Thanks guys! That trail map is great!! I think we're gonna take a run at Walt's suggested loop, we want to get in some good climbing so it looks like it'll give us what we want, the bell and windgate passes have been highly recommended. This is my first time on this trail system even though I live in N. Scottsdale.....about time i got out there!
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

livin' the dream......
    I did some research on the State Land Department a while ago and found they only had 2 Rangers to patrol the 9 million acres of state trust land we have in AZ. Not telling you to travel on state land with out the permit, but the odds of you getting cited by a state Ranger is pretty close to zero.

mtbr member
    Hey guys,
    I will be traveling to Scottsdale from Chicago next week for training, and wanted to check out some of the trails. Do you know of any bike rental places in the area. My time will be limited to the evenings as the training goes until 4:30, but will try to leave early.. like 3:30. Do you think it will give me enough time to get out and back before sunset? Are the trails marked, is it easy to get lost out there.. i will be by myself.
    Thanks!

Another Broken Spoke
    Arizona Outback Adventures has bike rentals, and they are pretty close to the McDowell Sonoran Preserve. I'd give them a shout:

http://www.aoa-adventures.com/

They may also be able to shuttle you to/from the trail head.

mtbr member
    Thanks Steve. I'll give them a try.

Just another half mile...
    The local sherrif has been known to give out tickets, especially down at the 24 HOP trail. Better safe that sorry and get the permit.

Quote Originally Posted by tjkm
    I did some research on the State Land Department a while ago and found they only had 2 Rangers to patrol the 9 million acres of state trust land we have in AZ. Not telling you to travel on state land with out the permit, but the odds of you getting cited by a state Ranger is pretty close to zero.

Members who have read this thread: 0