mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Sunrise Conditions

Did anyone go to Sunrise last weekend? If so, how were the trails? I heard some reports that there were still trees across all the trails.....to quote 29rev..."Sunrise = Garbage. Tried it last weekend after taking a year off. Trails were crap I had to hike over trees every run and it is quite obvious none of the employees want us there. I will spend my money elsewhere. Maybe not Pajarito but Colorado, Utah and Angelfire are still good."

Anyone else have the same experience? Is it worth going on the 9th?

AKA shitbird
    I was there last weekend and although Sticks N Stones was closed due to treefall (sucks because it's the best trail there) all other trails were obstacle free. Not sure what he had to hike over???

Oh, lower Yard Sale was closed as well

Besides that the trails were incredibly dry and dusty. Still had fun though. It is what you make it, I've come to expect very little from Sunrise. Just glad to ride some DH in some cool weather
    JRA

Meatbomb
    It's closed

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    It's closed
    Yea, it's closed 4th of July weekend due to their annual archery thing, but will be open the following weekend! Like Eabos said, it is what you make of it. I had a great time up there last weekend and didn't have to step/walk over a single downed tree. The dust was deep, but it was still fun!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    To me a run is when you ride from the top to the bottom. I was there on Sat. with some friends and there were trees down on two of the two ways down( not including sticks and stones because it was closed due to down trees). We removed one tree from the trail and built a crappy up and over so we wouldnt have to stop. If you enjoy Sunrise I mean no offense, I just have much better trails out my backdoor and wont be going back any time soon.

dirt visionary
    Same story was there with my oldest Daughter this weekend and this were actually more tore up than last year. But a few good rains and some volunteer work and the few open runs would be good to go again. Still fun no matter what but there are better rides in the state if you have others to ride with.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29rev View Post
    To me a run is when you ride from the top to the bottom. I was there on Sat. with some friends and there were trees down on two of the two ways down( not including sticks and stones because it was closed due to down trees). We removed one tree from the trail and built a crappy up and over so we wouldnt have to stop. If you enjoy Sunrise I mean no offense, I just have much better trails out my backdoor and wont be going back any time soon.
    Did you let anyone know there were trees down ? or did you think they would move themself?
    JRA

AZ
    banned
    I'm sure that no trail work got done while it was closed due to the fire. Just sayin.

The .05 percent
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by A.P.B View Post
    Did you let anyone know there were trees down ? or did you think they would move themself?
    Prob better off hoping they will move them selves. Better chance of that
    29'ers are the scientologists of the MTB world

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    No trail work was done while it was closed for the fire. All the runs are open except for upper sticks and stones. The forest service went through and cut down all dead still standing tree so they wouldn't catch fire(since the fire was less than 3 miles away from the mountain). With a lot of help sticks and stones could be open, chain saws will be required, due to the fire restritions they are not allowed at this time. the trail would probably benefit from a total re route

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Like clock said there are better rides out there if you have the equipment.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kfitz View Post
    No trail work was done while it was closed for the fire. All the runs are open except for upper sticks and stones. The forest service went through and cut down all dead still standing tree so they wouldn't catch fire(since the fire was less than 3 miles away from the mountain). With a lot of help sticks and stones could be open, chain saws will be required, due to the fire restritions they are not allowed at this time. the trail would probably benefit from a total re route
    Unless it has changed over the years I remember it being fall line all the way through the forest with zero grade reversals and places to shed water. Almost all of the trails at Sunrise could use work from somebody that actually understand good trail building.

The last trip I made to Sunrise to ride was about 5 or 6 years ago and I thought it sucked so bad that I didn't need to ever go back. The lift is cool and the terrain is perfect though.

mtbr member
    I agree with sticks and stones... 2009 was great, 2010 was totally blown out but still fun, I havent been this year due to work and bike issues but I am guessing it'll be really bad without any work done to it, since 70-80% of it is fall line. Some simple water diversions would work... maybe some short ladders or brick features down the steep parts to keep the errosion down in some other places.... and other places, just a complete re-route.

It totally sucks that we're limited to just the mornings before the lifts open. If they kept the gates open so we can drive up the fire road to work on it during the week would be nice.

Fungus is done right, its good for beginners and advanced riders railing it fast, great potential for an A-Line Jump trail.
    Chutes and ladders is fun but done kinda half ass'd with left over un treated palet wood and chicken wire bolted to the already downed trees over the trails (not moved). But still a good week with a crew would make it beautiful and a blast to go down.
    Apache is fun but a good portion of it is a fall line down a loose boulder path... fun but dangerous.
    All the trails towards the botom are just plain fun IMO, but of course could use some maintence.

All ski resorts are VERY dry when the snow melts... thats just the way it is.

All in all Sunrise is fun and has so much to work with. The owners need to wake the F up, fire the current trail crew and invest some damn money. Obviously the same story each year, one day I hope.

sandbagger
    To answer your question I was there last weekend and the only run that had issues is sticks and stones its bad with trees. I did the first runs and there were a few trees down in cartoon forest and on yardsale. however we moved them so unless the person that told you that was the person I was helping dont know what they are talking about.

FYI it is a little dry and dusty but still a blast, slippery rock is fun looks li ke they are slowly working on sticks n stones.

Chutes and ladders was good also.

all in all it was worth 20 dollars to get out of the heat of the valley. camped and it was 59 degrees at night. awesome
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for all the replies. My buddies and I will still be heading up there on the 9th since it will be cooler and two of us have never been.

mtbr member
    sunrise is sunrise, like others have said, it is what you make of it. It was dusty,dry and loose on the 6/26, however, I think they were expecting some precip earlier this week. Even though it may not have been enough, its better than nothing.

If you are lucky, it will rain more before the 9th.

Just don't expect trail quality like the real bike parks out there (Trestle, Angelfire, Whistler, etc).