mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Sunrise Bike Park

Hi Everyone!

Anybody been to Sunrise lately? Its been a few years since I went for DH. I have ridden there maybe 6-7 times but I stopped going because the trails were in such bad shape. Broken bridges, blown out sections, dangerous conditions, horrible accommodations, and rude staff kept me away.

Who has been there either this year or last year? What are the trails like now? How many are open? Anything new? Is it worth the trip from Phoenix? Is the park any better than it was 5 years ago? Worse? Or the same?

I really need to get out of the heat and ride... Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!

Meatbomb
    I have a feeling no one goes there because it sucks.... Last I heard even the employees sucked.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    That has been my experience as well. Rumor was they were under different management although I'm not exactly sure what that means. Used to be $20 American for a ticket and now $37 or whatever. Thought maybe they put some resources into the bike park. Anyone else have a recent experience?

Thanks

dirt visionary
    I went a couple times last year after a 5 or six year hiatus. Anyways its not a bike park and prob will never be one. But what it is, is a ski mountain with some raw old school trails which are fun depending on your def of fun. Anyways its a place to get out of the heat, not have to deal with shuttle logistics of Flag,Prescott,globe or lemon. Don't go expecting a bike park or even groomed trails. Look for videos to get an idea. I know I posted a couple last year and have seen many others. I am not going to go into a whole lot as this subject tends to get beaten into the ground. If you haven't been then you owe it to yourself to indulge or punish yourself at least once.

Here is one of the video's. I'm not to happy about it as I had to use a massive amount of image stabilization which makes it look alot slower IMO. But it will give you an idea what it was like last year.
    Last edited by clockwork; 06-07-2018 at 06:23 AM.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

dirt visionary
    Another from almost 7 years ago. This trail still looked and rode basically the same last year.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Haha, "bike park" haha.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Snowbowl is currently making plans for one. Standby.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    It's not bad if you are not expecting much. I just wish they didn't increase the price otherwise I do enjoy riding there.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Snowbowl is currently making plans for one. Standby.
    I can't wait!*

*for another 5 - 10 years.

mtbr member
    The trails are in the same shape they've been for the last 5 years. Currently they are super dry and loose since the last time they saw moisture was from the latest snowfall.. and it hadn't exactly been a wet winter. In my experience the staff are always great. Don't go there expecting man made features and groomed trails and you'll have a great time!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrt taco View Post
    I can't wait!*

*for another 5 - 10 years.
    It sounds like it's a lot more likely to happen in <5 but with the speed this district moves at who knows....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The place has a ton of potential, it's a bummer that no one has taken advantage of that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    The place has a ton of potential, it's a bummer that no one has taken advantage of that.
    Too bad Traildoc doesn’t live close to the Bike Park. I am sure he would be willing to invest some FREE time whipping the Park into shape.

dirt visionary
    if your talking about sunrise I doubt it and its no park..Its a ski resort that offers summer time mtb lift rides, I have no clue as why everyone trys to church it up. They have been approached in number multiple times in the past and had they ever truly taken advantage of the offer of help it would be a much different place. But that is also in a different reality lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    First... Thank you all for replying. I appreciate the info.

Second... Correct!!! Sunrise has never been a "bike park" and never will be. Its just a mountain with a lift and some fall line trails. Some of which are fun and challenging although potentially dangerous due to poor maintenance/design. But I ain't scared.

Third... Seems like reports indicate that things are more the same that different over there. Except now its almost twice as expensive as before. I'm on the fence about going but need to ride and may hit em up after some rain.

Finally... Is a "bike park" (whatever that means) at Snowbowl fake news??? Will it "make MTB great again?" That talk has been flying out of peoples seat tubes for years...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rock View Post

Finally... Is a "bike park" (whatever that means) at Snowbowl fake news??? Will it "make MTB great again?" That talk has been flying out of peoples seat tubes for years...
    It's legit news. Last I heard Snowbowl is doing the necessary studies for all of their planned summer operations and this includes mountain biking. I know for a fact that their trails guy who has had involvement with Angel Fire and Purgatory trails did a site visit last summer and for the initial phase of development they were thinking something like 5 or 6 trails off of the six pack chair lift.

It sounds as if they are hoping to get some of this on the ground by 2020 but it will likely take a bit longer than that but who knows?

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    Too bad Traildoc doesn’t live close to the Bike Park. I am sure he would be willing to invest some FREE time whipping the Park into shape.
    ...only if there was a pit toilet to loiter by.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I went with a few buddies and we rode Sunrise opening weekend. It's had no maintenance to speak, is very dry, very loose, very rough.

Old lines that were good years ago, well a lot of them are gone. Broken ladders, and other rock and log piles have deteriorated. Some overgrowth and rubble blocking others.

That said, it's a fun once a year adventure. It's rugged, it's technical, it's raw and it will wear you out. If that's your think then go for it.

We found a few features to session, did a few of the better runs (fungus) multiple times, and had a laugh. But it is what it is.

The employees? Not bad, but like the DMV, they don't really want to be there, and the res doesn't incentivise high quality customer service anymore than they do trail maintenance.

Unless you really like to spend some time riding raw, tech features, it's pretty hard to justify the trip when Big Bear is one hour further and about the same price.

I'll keep my fingers crossed on SnowBowl.
    Last edited by kmj831; 06-09-2018 at 07:42 PM.
    "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

Real Estate Professionals llc.
    realestate-professionals.com

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    Do it bitch...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kmj831 View Post
    Unless you really like to spend some time riding raw, tech features, it's pretty hard to justify the trip when Big Bear is one hour closer and about the same price.
    Thanks for posting a recent experience. I appreciate the feedback. Its exactly what I thought.

I usually go to either Mammoth Lakes or Angel fire for DH. But I've never been to Big Bear. Is Big Bear a worthwhile option? Google says its about 360 miles from Phoenix. How long does it take to get there? Good trails/accommodations? Any info from those who have been either this or last year is helpful and appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Big Bear is great. 5 hours or so to the lift. Plenty of things to do besides DH'ing. Great food choices. Can be crowded, but mid week trips are going to have the shortest lift lines.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckiebruster View Post
    Big Bear is great. 5 hours or so to the lift. Plenty of things to do besides DH'ing. Great food choices. Can be crowded, but mid week trips are going to have the shortest lift lines.
    I was just looking at their trail map and then I watched vids on youtube of all of their trails. It actually looks really sweet. Heck, even their long green trail looks like a ton of fun.

The .05 percent
    I was just looking at their trail map and then I watched vids on youtube of all of their trails. It actually looks really sweet. Heck, even their long green trail looks like a ton of fun.
    Dirt sidewalks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Dirt sidewalks
    Downhill dirt sidewalks that are crowded as **** (it's an hour from downtown LA).

There are however some sweet singletrack options that you can hit from the top of the lifts that are outside of the resort boundary..

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Dirt sidewalks
    Maybe but they look like a ton of fun to me and with such sustainable built trails the jumps and features look real nice. It may not be Whistler but it looks better than the blown out trails at Sunrise!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Decided on Angel Fire. Hoping for Rain.

Make MTB Great Again...

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Meh never goin happen

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Spent a day riding Sunrise this past weekend. Pretty much agree with what folks are saying. The trails are pretty rough and definitely nowhere near as well groomed as Angel Fire. However, it was still good for working on technical skills and dealing with roots (Fungus Trail in particular). If you know what you are getting into, you can have a good time.

I have to say that I liked not having to load your bike onto the lift as the employees did that for you.
    2018 Santa Cruz Bronson S Build
    2015 Kona Process 111

mtbr member
    How busy is Sunrise on the weekend? Was looking at giving it a go early in the week but now I see they don't open until Thursday.

Every video/photo I've seen of the place looks like there's about 10 people there, tops.
    Hey guys, lets go play bieks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
    How busy is Sunrise on the weekend? Was looking at giving it a go early in the week but now I see they don't open until Thursday.

Every video/photo I've seen of the place looks like there's about 10 people there, tops.
    Its never packed. No wait at all. Your right in your guess of 10 people tops. I've been twice this year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vsong View Post
    Its never packed. No wait at all. Your right in your guess of 10 people tops. I've been twice this year.
    Sweet, I'm hoping to make it up there soon.

mtbr member
    Keep in mind that they are closed the next 2 weekends for some archery tournament.

Sunrise Bike Park-36319822_10156515213117803_5424335324509634560_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Ugh, every time I start planning a trip up there something comes up. Guess I'll shoot for later in July now.