Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Sunflower 2 Scottsdale BikePack Adventure October 27 & 28

Some of you guys might remember AZG23 and I did a bikepack adventure last year from Sunflower AZ down into Scottsdale. (Heres the link to the last ride) We are planning on doing it again this year but BETTER! Unlike last year, barring unforseen additions, dogs wont be a good idea on this trip . We're working on a support/resupply group campsite with some of our Jeep friends just below the Bartlett dam. We still intend on keeping the gear in the backpack for the authenticity of the bikepack adventure but having a few more friends is always good.

Since the majority of this ride on the first day is downhill it seemed to be a great "first timer" bikepack adventure. We did bail about midmorning on the second day at Needle Rock because of the dog, so it makes a great bailout for those that arent willing or able to make the climbs over Windgate east to west or unable to make the milage.

This will be a NO DROP ride. Attacking a hill is fine and decent spread on the DH but regrouping at the summit and the bottoms. The leader and the tailgunner will be communicating via FRS to keep the group together. Those that wish to rush ahead or Strava this bish need not apply on this group. This is leisure/fun ride.

Riders will need to provide their own food during the ride and for the camp. Im going to say that water refill will be provided by me at the camp side but in between there you are on your own. Bring plenty and bring a filter if you have one. There will be a couple filters in the group however.

When: 10/27/12 & 10/28/12 7am FIP and moving
    Where: Sunflower AZ turnoff from the 87
    How many: would like to keep it under 15 riders 10 def with 5 reserve; but I dont own any of the land or air bring it
    Milage: 50 total (less if bailing out at Needle Rock ~32mi)
    Route: Down FR393 into Rio Verde and then through MMP Pemberton CCW to Dixie or Coachwhip and then up Windgate and down Gateway ending at Walmart via Bell
    Transportation via GnarGnar will be $25 to the dropoff from parking lot at Walmart at 101 and FLW to allow for the overnight parking.

Definites:
    Shnipe - Dennis
    AZG23
    Jamesb
    PhxCobra
    DesertCrawler
    Easy_E
    Vff24
    28/29 WIT
    BigOmike
    Owtdorz
    Last edited by SHNIPE; 06-29-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Happy Trails
    I live in Fountain Hills just a mile from where Dixie Mine passes through Golden Eagle and would be glad to hook you guys up with H20 and Payday bars and even a splash in the pool .... Except I'll be in Maui for Xterra World Championship ... So count me good for SAG in 2013. Happy trails

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    I live in Fountain Hills just a mile from where Dixie Mine passes through Golden Eagle and would be glad to hook you guys up with H20 and Payday bars and even a splash in the pool .... Except I'll be in Maui for Xterra World Championship ... So count me good for SAG in 2013. Happy trails
    Address of said pool please! Key under the mat and fridge full of beer? WIN! Youre on the list for 2013!

mtbr member
    How did I get volunteered for this? You hate me or something?

Yeah, sure, sign me up.

No detours to Sodomy Gulch. Cereal. I'm not into that Bro stuff the first time out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This sounds like a great first timer trip. What kinda setup works. I have a 2006 Orange Five and a BOB trailer?

mtbr member
    I wouldn't bring a trailer. I don't think the terrain is good for that.

So, liquor and or women, are the dude with the Jeeps bringing either?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ok no BOB. That makes it easier. I totally want to do this.

mtbr member
    Hey, anybody want me to bring breakfast for them? Just let me know and I can add a few more eggs to the dehydrator.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Vff24: the trailer might be a bit too much. I have a 2 day pack that I use for hiking that I packed stuff in last year. I pretty much brought too much. But like they say "Success favors the Prepared". This year Im planning on a similar setup of bivy sack, bedroll and actually bringing a light weight sleeping bag vs sleeping in sweats in a light weight bivy sack. The morning was just cold enough for me that it was a chore to get out and make coffee! 50* mornings though are a dream to some. Im a cold weather weenie.]

I can compile a list of things that I pack both hiking and on the bikepack trip but Im sure you can find other lists everywhere including the bikepacking section here.

As for your bike. Im sure itll be fine. I rode a 4" Trance and plan to this year. Brad rode a 5.75 Teocali and will be on a diff bike this year probably some 29r.

Eazy: Was reading your dehydrator thread. You know us arfcommers are all the same. I definitely didnt bring enough food last time. I had plenty for the stops but I should have been eating throughout the day more. Gu's and robofuel works but I think some real foods like Pb&J or some candies like Mike N Ikes would have helped a lot. As for camp food, Brad had a couple MRE's that needed to go so that was dinner. Lots of calories helped the next day. Plan is probably the same but maybe some mountain house vs the MRE.

Ive spoken with Gnar Gnar and am working on setting up transportation from the Walmart at 101 and FLW to allow for the overnight parking to the Sunflower dropoff. So for those that are worried about the "How can I get there and still have a pickup when I get done" its figured out. Cost should be $25 if we can get 10 or more definite riders going up. Leave your car at the Walmart lot and shuttle up. Would cost almost that much to drive up and back plus the favor wed owe the significant other for getting up so early! Ill definitely be on the bus!
    Last edited by SHNIPE; 06-10-2012 at 08:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ok. I will search the bikepacking area for list related to gear list. I am an avid backpacker and tend to lean ultralight, so I should be able to fit most or all my gear in a small pack. How often is there water along the route? Is it wise to carry 200oz? At the proposed camp site will there be a good source of water? All my food is dehydrated so I need to know if I would have to carry enough for the food, in addition to the normal hydration?

The Walmart shuttle would be great, you can count me in on that.

Happy Trails
    Schnipe I can probably work up something to support the cause ... At least food and Gatorade resupply, towels and a hose, etc. I'll ride Sunridge Blvd then Golden Eagle then Dixie Mine trail to get a handle on exactly how far the detour is and post back on this thread. - Scott in MD is now in FH

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vff24 View Post
    Ok. I will search the bikepacking area for list related to gear list. I am an avid backpacker and tend to lean ultralight, so I should be able to fit most or all my gear in a small pack. How often is there water along the route? Is it wise to carry 200oz? At the proposed camp site will there be a good source of water? All my food is dehydrated so I need to know if I would have to carry enough for the food, in addition to the normal hydration?

The Walmart shuttle would be great, you can count me in on that.
    I rode with a 100oz camelback and a bottle. That was enough and I didnt run out. At the campsite there is running water out of the Bartlett dam. A water filter will make quick work of refilling the packs but Im working on having a buddy bring gallons of water (amount will be sufficient for everyone to refill). For cooking there will be more than enough water around. Carry enough for drinking and youll be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    Schnipe I can probably work up something to support the cause ... At least food and Gatorade resupply, towels and a hose, etc. I'll ride Sunridge Blvd then Golden Eagle then Dixie Mine trail to get a handle on exactly how far the detour is and post back on this thread. - Scott in MD is now in FH
    Post was more in joking but if you can bring the pool down to the trail Im game Too cool of you to offer!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHNIPE View Post
    Eazy: Was reading your dehydrator thread. You know us arfcommers are all the same. I definitely didnt bring enough food last time. I had plenty for the stops but I should have been eating throughout the day more. Gu's and robofuel works but I think some real foods like Pb&J or some candies like Mike N Ikes would have helped a lot. As for camp food, Brad had a couple MRE's that needed to go so that was dinner. Lots of calories helped the next day. Plan is probably the same but maybe some mountain house vs the MRE.
    Whathoo mean all Arfcommers are the same? Socially inept, latent homosexual, and comically obese? Or you meant something else?

Mountain House and MRE? I take it you enjoy constipation? For what one or two of those cost, you can get a lot higher quality food yourself with a dehydrator. I just can't see spending 6 or 7 bucks for one MH or MRE. DIY jerky, soup, individual cheese, foil packs of tuna/salmon, mixed nuts/fruit, summer sausage/salami, almond butter, homemade LARA bars, all good stuff. You could bring a sweet potato wrapped in foil and throw it in the fire. For a one nighter, bring a frozen chunk of meat. It ought to be thawed by the time you're ready to drop camp. Just don't get baby wipe ash on it while cooking or drop it in the sand when you're flipping it. Ask Epic_Ed or Uofaspyder about that one.

For a breakfast, I like to take a couple of ounces of mixed nuts and powder them in a food processor. Add a few tablespoons of ground flax seeds, powdered milk, and dehydrated blueberries/strawberries. Heat it up. Or you could have quinoa, powdered milk, nuts, and berries.

That's all legit, real food that costs less, doesn't have a weight disadvantage, and it's not just empty calories or crap ingredients.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    On the second day of the ride with no bathrooms in sight after the Needle Rock rec area.. yeah Ill take constipation for $500 Alex. MRE was for simplicity, ease of packaging in an already full pack with no frame packs and the self contained heat source as redundancy. We had taken an alcohol stove along and had a campfire but its nice to have options.

Getting more into other reasons the way the packs were packed the way they were for last years ride but the ideas are similar. Self sustained self propelled either on foot or on bike. Frame packs cant be carried if the bikes need to be left behind. This year Ill be going for a far more streamlined legit bikepack list vs bob. Going to try and get more weight forward as compared to mostly back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    UPDATE:

For those that are wanting to ride but do not want to carry or test bikepack setups: Our jeep friends Kevin, John and Jimmy will be willing to carry any packs, crap, food, "extra beverages" that need to be kept cool . (limited to bikepack items and extra cooler items only; no large bbqs or anything that wont fit in a jeep) PM me if you have specific questions about items.

We can inventory everything prior to the ride and tape up packs etc to ensure they arent opened and security will be maintained by several possibly well armed individuals Rest assured your gear will be safe and untouched no matter what!!

For those that want to carry their setups you're encouraged to try out your gear but are more than welcome to have the guys carry it to the camp for you. Ill be carrying most of my gear. But several people have asked about gear and carrying it all might be an issue; This option is available to all and free of charge.

mtbr member
    I am still thinking about this! I have been following the Tour Divide so it has made me really want to do this. I have blocked off that weekend.

No Clue Crew
    Damn, this is so something I don't wanna pass up. Gotta give it some thought.

What happened to this thought, though:
    Quote Originally Posted by SHNIPE View Post
    Ben and Barry: Next trip I think it might just turn into a day ride and just do the upper section down to Needle Rock and call it good. Lots of downhill and enough climbing to make it hurt but not kill you. We'll have to set a date and we all can bomb down from 4k down to 1800 then get picked up at Needle rock and go home and cry in the shower (all separately of course)
    Just so I'm clear we'd get dropped off Sat morning. Ride to Bartlett and camp there with provisions hauled by your Jeepers, then ride the rest of the way back into town. Looks like only 15 miles on day one with the remainder and a big climb on day two?

mtbr member
    sorry if this has been mentioned already... but where is the rio verde river crossing ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 28/29 WIT View Post
    I am still thinking about this! I have been following the Tour Divide so it has made me really want to do this. I have blocked off that weekend.
    Ill put you on the list in case more come along youll have a reserved spot since you already blocked off the weekend. Come on out. Its a fun challenging ride but nothing youll regret!
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Damn, this is so something I don't wanna pass up. Gotta give it some thought.

What happened to this thought, though:

Just so I'm clear we'd get dropped off Sat morning. Ride to Bartlett and camp there with provisions hauled by your Jeepers, then ride the rest of the way back into town. Looks like only 15 miles on day one with the remainder and a big climb on day two?
    Hahaha that was to have been part of mid year riding but never came up. SOOO you get the whole deal! Yes the first day is shorter than the second. Its 20ish and easier than day 2. The majority of day two is flat with only slight elevation rises compared to the previous days downhill UNTIL we climb the Mcdowells.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmayeux View Post
    sorry if this has been mentioned already... but where is the rio verde river crossing ?
    The crossing will be just south of the dam. About half a mile. Its accessible by vehicle through the Bartlett Dam road and Brad and I will be scouting the new route prior to the actual ride and can provide more information there. When we crossed last year the water barely came up to the bottom of the kneepads. Of course we'll monitor dam release and flow numbers as we near the trip. We camped on the east side of the river from the road last year but this year we intend to camp on the west bank where the jeeps will be setup. There will be far less HAB this way as last year there was quite a bit through the river rock after the river crossing.

mtbr member
    If you can't hump it on your back or bike, odds are, you don't need it. Unless it's a crap load of liquor. Liquor is always welcome. If you have all your gear hauled in by somebody else, I'm gonna talk massive trash, even by my standards.

This is all the congested area in the Tonto right, so there's no recreational shooting? Ammo is the only thing I'd let them haul in for me, but that's not possible for the AO we'll be in. We need to work out a trip after this one with guns worked into the mix.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    If you can't hump it on your back or bike, odds are, you don't need it. Unless it's a crap load of liquor. Liquor is always welcome. If you have all your gear hauled in by somebody else, I'm gonna talk massive trash, even by my standards.

This is all the congested area in the Tonto right, so there's no recreational shooting? Ammo is the only thing I'd let them haul in for me, but that's not possible for the AO we'll be in. We need to work out a trip after this one with guns worked into the mix.
    Partly true on the first portion of your comment but some people dont have full on bikepack setups or even have backpack setups that they can use in a situation like this. One guy will be using a Kifaru pack and some will be throwing stuff all over the frames. The last part about trash talk will be in effect since Brads one of the ones that doesnt wanna carry everything.

There will be armed individuals on the trip. As for target shooting it might be best left for a separate trip due to the wide range of people that may be on the trip. I dont tend to shoot with people that Im not familiar with and some others are the same way. Gonna have to ask that all target shooting be withheld from this trip if youre part of the main group. I think thats acceptable and fair. Easy I do have other ideas for hike n shoots and ride n shoots that we can discuss Already have routes planned too!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I wasn't going to want to shoot on this trip. All the land around the lakes and dams is closed to shooting anyway due to congestion and heavy use.

A designated ride/shoot or a camp/shoot sounds good.

Vincit qui patitur
    Sign me up.
    I should have all my gear as well as tested by then.
    Mike
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    I have started to compile a list of what I might need for this but was wondering if anyone who has bikepacked before has one. I have done some backpacking so I have some gear but not sure if I want a tent or a bivy. We should all get together for drinks and plan this out or just get together to drink! Anyone a writer? I am a photographer so it would be kind of cool to do a story try and get it put into a local rag like SWEAT or something. I know Big0mike will have his go pro so we should hear plenty of cussing. Thanks for putting this together, I am looking forward to going.

Doug

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 28/29 WIT View Post
    I have started to compile a list of what I might need for this but was wondering if anyone who has bikepacked before has one. I have done some backpacking so I have some gear but not sure if I want a tent or a bivy. Doug
    If you need a bivy I am selling one. I have switched to a Ray Jardine tarp setup or hammock when backpacking and no longer need it. I never used the thing in the field (only once in the backyard to test it). Its a mid or late nineties model I believe. Top of the line at the time. I don't know the exact model or weight but it appears to be nearly identical to the Outdoor Research Advanced Bivy they now produce (Outdoor Research --). If your interested let me know.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast