Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Kathleen in AZ

Sun 8/5 SoMo roadie roundabout

This Sunday is Chongoman Bob's 30th birthday!!! What better way to begin the day than with a road ride around and up SoMo mountain.

Meet at the Safeway/Walgreen's parking lot on the SW corner of Elliot and 48th for FIP @ 5:30AM. Let's park in front of the Walgreen's near Elliot. Nice thing about starting here is that we can enjoy birthday breakfast burritos at Los Taquitos Mexican Grill after the ride!!!

Need an address to mapquest your morning drive? 4747 E Elliot Phoenix, AZ 85044

Ride will head west thru Ahwatukee for a clockwise loop around SoMo. We'll be doing a short 2 1/4 mile stretch on dirt (Pecos thru the Rez) so sturdy tires are recommended - I highly recommend Specialized Armadillo tires. But if you don't have Armadillos then just take it slow and your bike will be fine. Plan is to climb to the towers once on the north side of the loop for a total mileage of ~50.5 miles. If anyone skips the climb, their loop will be ~34 miles. There will be 2 water/snack stops along the way (see smilies on map). Can do a third stop at Baseline/48th before heading south if needed.

Who's in?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am Bob
    I will sure be there

Low speed, High Drag
    Man, I hope you guys don't stop doing these rides, now that I got myself a shiny new road bike. Unfortunately, I'm not in good enough shape to make it 50 miles, yet, but I will be. Please keep posting these rides, I really gotta do one.
    I need a cool saying to put here.

Not a Barry supporter.
    I can't wait to get me a new shiny carbon roadie! That's later this year though...

As for the ride, it's early in the week to commit but I'm seriously interested. I've been wanting to climb SoMo since moving here. Mark me down as another strong maybe...emphasis on strong...

Although I did just get a Reba so I may be breaking that in....Oh the choices one faces....

....I think the roadie will win out.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Kevin what did you buy??? We need to head out for a spin..

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    I can't wait to get me a new shiny carbon roadie! That's later this year though...

As for the ride, it's early in the week to commit but I'm seriously interested. I've been wanting to climb SoMo since moving here. Mark me down as another strong maybe...emphasis on strong...

Although I did just get a Reba so I may be breaking that in....Oh the choices one faces....

....I think the roadie will win out.
    Reba on Saturday, Roadie on Sunday?

Low speed, High Drag
    Quote Originally Posted by theFuzz
    Kevin what did you buy??? We need to head out for a spin..
    Well, I bought me shiny carbon fiber road bike. A Specialized Tarmac Comp, to be exact. Let me get back in decent enough shape to make it worth while, and we'll ride any time you want. I have to bust my a$$, to get in shape for race up in Flag., so I'll be at the gym, and out on the weekends, riding.
    I need a cool saying to put here.

mtbr member
    Shape, HA! I rode 3 times in July....

Not a Barry supporter.
    Probably end up that way....
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

im4Gsus
    i was game for it (minus the climb to the towers) but i only have road tires; they won't roll well on 2 miles of rocky, pebbly dirt .
    oh well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    i was game for it (minus the climb to the towers) but i only have road tires; they won't roll well on 2 miles of rocky, pebbly dirt .
    oh well.
    they should! unless they are full on ultralight-weight racerchick tires.

parenting for gnarness
    oh well.
    just how bad is this off-road section? is there a way to bypass it by adding miles? im a wuss on my skinny bike. Thanks.

Meatbomb
    I had to do a double take on the URL to make sure I had not stumbled into the wrong forum.... what is happening to you people

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    I had to do a double take on the URL to make sure I had not stumbled into the wrong forum.... what is happening to you people
    I'm disgusted with myself, its like a Kafka story, its reaching pandemic levels.

WARNING: reading this thread may turn you into a roadie wussy

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    just how bad is this off-road section? is there a way to bypass it by adding miles? im a wuss on my skinny bike. Thanks.
    The dirt route is a significant shortcut... to get on 100% pavement, you have to go way down south and going-round-SoMo becomes too long for this time of year for a bunch of casual riders. The last time I was on this dirt road was 2 summers ago when I first bought my fancy road bike. It had high performance road tires on it then and did just fine. The road was hard-packed dirt with tiny gravel - no sand, no big rocks. On this ride 2 years ago, Mr. PoopyPants (my boyfriend who persuaded me to get the bike) was all pouty about riding on dirt. But I believe that you all are a tougher bunch and have that sense of adventure needed for this expedition. We can do it - we are mountain bikers!

mtbr member
    Consider me a maybably.
    Zort

"Maybe I'm laughing my way to disaster..." - P. Simon

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    We can do it - we are mountain bikers!

Have you looked at yourself lately

mtbr member

What is the pace?

It's been a while since I have been on my road bike and was wondering the pace? It is funny to see the mtn bikers asking about the dirt road but can understand if you have a nice carbon frame that the pebbles would just eat alive.

I might be up for it. You probably do not know me but I think I met you up at the Spring Fling in Sedona.

Rick

banned
    oh well.

I run 23's with slime tubes and have problem riding on the canals, reach11 and T100.

Uncle Jay
    Apr 2005
    I don't really know any of you. And though 530 on a Sunday sounds very early, I'd like to join in if it's cool. I'm a casual rider, mostly mountain but lately have been doing more road riding, and have done this loop (with the climb) before. Not very fast mind you, but I have done it and would love to actually ride with some other people for a change!!

Thanks,
    Jason

PS. I'm another one that will be on a carbon Tarmac, the dirts really not a problem (Oh, the karma gods are going to have fun with that one.)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'll be there with my red Cannondale. I haven't ridden that route in over a year but it is a great ride especially when you get a pace line rolling. I am looking forward to coughing up a lung or two on the climb to the towers. I'm not a hill climber, so I'll be changing out the rear 11-23 cluster to a 12-27.

Sup?

May be there

Depends upon the weekend schedule.. might be doing the skull valley loop up north (Prescott) on Sat which is 55miles. If I do this ride sunday that will be over 100 for
    the weekend.. and I thought last weekend was hard!

The dirt wont hurt folks.. 23's should be fine for a couple of miles.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    Have you looked at yourself lately

so true, but maybe you missed my whole Alta story a few weeks back - I have been giving my fractured sacrum time to heal. I've found that the bum doesn't hurt when road riding, so my accident has given me a chance to renew my acquaintence with the ignored road bike. I hope to get back to real dirt next weekend for Walt's Hawes Sweatfest.

Kathleen in AZ
    Cool... lots of new folks!

Pace will be varied in the group. As a gauge, I was in the slow pack the last two weekends and had averages of 15 and 15.5 mph for the 40ish miles with significant hills. Ride is to be social, meaning that the fast folks will wait or double back for the slow folks at key intervals.

Meatpuppet
    Quote Originally Posted by honemastert
    the skull valley loop up north (Prescott) on Sat which is 55miles.
    whats the route for this ride..

DG-

Im in... but you already knew that
    My Third Eye Has A Cataract

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast