Thread: Succubus

My other ride is your mom

Succubus

I could not take any more....so I popped smoke and called for an evac out of the festering neon distraction. I had become combat ineffective, a shell of the person I'd spent so many miles building up. It's amazing to me that after a year of laying off the distance, the fire to go long never went out. It ate at me, clawing my insides until I wanted to scream from the angst of holding it in. So I ran, packed the only things that matter to me, and went south to better trails; leaving behind everything else not required to bike, ski or take care of my dog. Nothing else would be required, because nothing else, IS required. I had compromised myself based on a faulty premise....so I fixed it. Every time I make a move, my footprint gets smaller, more refined, more efficient and reflective of the core that is me. I am left now with everything I truly need....and it all fits in a truck and a trailer.

She draws from me a level of energy every time, the serpentine track of tan underlying a sea of grass. The sound of my freshly lubed Chris King Hub rings into my ear along with the staccato crunch-snap of quartz and feldspar sand beneath my tires.....

The intent in my latest move was to be closer to the siren that calls me toward the rocks. I can't escape her, so I might as well join her....a fatal dance that I accept. I'm a big believer of training like you fight, and fighting like you train. If I intend to ride 300, I will dance with her, every day, until I can read her every curve in my mind, anticipate her temperamental moods and lead with authority.

The climb up here was proper, out of the lower Sonoran Desert and into the Sonoran Highlands....her smooth curves cutting in and out of the ridgeline, traversing cliffbands and cutting across vertical curved reefs of Shindaggers....

As my mind wandered along with my bike, I find myself in that long state that I often seek. A place where the time disappears and the shadows move around me as the sun arcs low against the winter sky. It's a state of consciousness which is defined by nothingness....no worries, no thoughts and no pain. Just breath.....heartbeat.....and pedal stroke. How I long to live like this!

My lunch break is taken in a copse of Juniper which act as a windbreak to the cutting western blow, chilling me to the bone once I stop. I position myself between two granite boulders in the sun, absorbing the thermal radiation flowing from the mass, and chew on my lunch....working fast and hard to gulp it down so that I may get moving once again.....time spent stopped is time spent cold.

Turning for home, I cycle across the savanna, framed by massifs which hold the early winters snow just below an infinite sky blue. A blue which drives the wind against me, slowing my return.....the succubus extracts her final cut for the day. How I long to be back, paying from my body, her personal toll.

mtbr member
    the Ernest Hemingway of Sonoran Desert Mountain Biking....
    Below Par on the Gnar

Always in the wrong gear
    Awesome pics, even more colorful story.
    Gary Fisher Rig SS

All my gym friends b*tch about leg day. For me, every day I ride is leg day!

Go Speed Racer
    Inspiring!

mtbr member
    Sweet!

Give it a crank
    Perfect Monday morning read, nice!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    There's a story behind every blue dot, I'll be rooting the JF dot all the way to Picketpost.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Si vales, valeo.
    A+ thread right here! B-)
    "An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered." G.K. Chesterton

mtbr member
    Beautiful. I particularly enjoyed this line "I am left now with everything I truly need....and it all fits in a truck and a trailer." Such a valid point. I was talking with a neighbor friend back in October. We both do ok financially, but are by no means wealthy. He was mentioning how much he wished he were wealthy so that he could have a more comfortable life. I said, you know what the problem with living for money is......once you die, its all gone. Sadly, he unexpectedly passed away about three weeks later. Life isn't really about money....its about enjoying the ride....but, I think most mountain bikers know that.

Ahhh the pain....
    Great post JF... The last time I could fit all my sh*t in my car was when I graduated college. I does seem that many pressures in life push us to "complexity". Keeping things VERY simple is stunningly beautiful. After years of working for a consulting company that incented me financially for the # of days I spent on the road, I came to the conclusion that more $ was NOT what I needed. So I became my own boss, my income went down, and I've been happier then ever before.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    the Ernest Hemingway of Sonoran Desert Mountain Biking....
    Hopefully, this will end on a happier note....

My other ride is your mom
    ^^^^^reports of the maadJurguers death have been greatly exaggerated.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    ^^^^^reports of the maadJurguers death have been greatly exaggerated.
    come out of the closet, admit to your new purchase

I am Bob
    Great inspiration.
    hoping I keep my joints and body healthy and can join you in April.