mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Stupidity mixed with luck? Night riding Cave Creek/Spur Cross

So yesterday I went and did a 20 mile Cave Creek to Spur Cross trail at 8:00 pm and ended around 10:30. I didn't see any rattle snakes. Mostly desert rats, big a$$ spiders and bugs. I did get my a$$ handed to me my a freakin pigeon that was asleep on the trail and woke up right when I was passing next to it at 25 mph....the pigeon tried to outrun me and ended up flapping its wings in my face ending in me crashing into the mountain side.....better than me falling off the cliff....

Anyways was I lucky that I didn't see any rattle snakes? Do any of you guys do night rides there? How often do you ride there at night? Seeing so many rodents would make me think that there would be more rattle snakes. I want to know if I should worry about doing this more often. Please share your experiences.

mtbr member
    I ride Spur Cross loop at night quite a bit, I would think you would see snakes about 10-20% of the time.. they seem much more active at dusk/dawn than in the dark... Also ask the guys at flat tire, they ride that loop at night A LOT.. they know everything about it.. .
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member

Stupidity mixed with luck? Night riding Cave Creek/Spur Cross

It was more likely an owl, not a pigeon.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Been riding every tuesday at Hawes at night, have not seen a snake yet, weird, Lots of kangaroo rats. Saw 3-4 foxes the other night.