mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Stolen Red Saris Bones 3 - How to Secure in Future

Kind of a heads up, if any of you see it pop on on craigslist or something let me know. It was stolen off my car last night. When I got to work I noticed just the straps hanging off my trunk.

The main point of the thread though, is, how can I secure a bike rack to my car to prevent anyone from just taking the straps off and walking away with it?

dirt visionary
    with trunk mount racks I doubt you can. Install a receiver and get a different rack that can be locked
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerosinek
    Kind of a heads up, if any of you see it pop on on craigslist or something let me know. It was stolen off my car last night. When I got to work I noticed just the straps hanging off my trunk.

The main point of the thread though, is, how can I secure a bike rack to my car to prevent anyone from just taking the straps off and walking away with it?
    Take it off at night? That's the only think I can think of.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Thule Raceway, cables instead of straps and lockable...if you don't want to go hitch-mount.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Tape a picture of Jan Brewer to it. That should scare anyone off.

Or maybe a cable through your bumper. I've got a trunk rack too, but I never leave my bike on it, even if I go into a restaurant. I'll take it off and lock it to a bike rack. Really, all they need is a pick-up (quick getaway) and a pair of scissors.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    I used to have one on my GTi back in 97 and then the "hot ticket" was to run the cable lock through the bike, the rack and padlock to the rear tow hook or put the lock inside the trunk and close the hatch over the cable. It took about 45 minutes for someone to cut the cable at my girlfriends house. They must have cased it previously, because I would always run over there to take care of her dog when she traveled for work. They cut the cable (3/8ths).
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by berzerker
    Thule Raceway, cables instead of straps and lockable...if you don't want to go hitch-mount.
    Yakima Quickback 2/3 also have a webbing covered steel cable that you lock inside your trunck/rear hatch.

Either way, I wouldn't leave it on overnight unattended.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit
    Tape a picture of Jan Brewer to it. That should scare anyone off.
    Her picture safety-pinned to the naughty bits is an extremely effective abstinence/birth control strategy as well.
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle