mtbr member

Stolen bikes alert-Tucson

Update:
    Unbelievaby, I recovered my fixie yesterday. It is pure dumb luck that some guy dragged it in to a shop my buddy works at and wanted to sell it. A guy he works recognized it and with picked it up for the princely sum of $15. Needless to say it was setup in full on tweeker transpo mode, but it is complete. I went through it and fixed some stuff, so it is ready to ride. The Rig is still missing though.

Some douchebag tweekers broke into my house yesterday and took my 2 bikes. This is was in mid-town Tucson. The bikes are:
    medium 2005 Fisher Rig, purple w/ black Surly KM fork. King SS bottle cages
    red CK headet with a wear on the lower right hand side (while looking at frame from front) head tube and lower headset cup...
    100mmx10 degree Thomson Elite stem-black
    Easton MonkeyLite DH carbon bar, Lizard Skin's lock-on grips
    '07 Avid Juicy 7 brakes with black hockey tape on levers
    Stock Bonty SS wheels with steel CK 18t cog, spacers and steel lock ring. Shimano XT skewer in back, stock Bonty skewer front. IRC Notos front tire, Bonty Jones ACX in back
    Bonty SS 175mm SS crank (stock) with Time ATAC XS pedals, 32t Blackspire chainring and Salsa rock ring
    Stock Bonty seatpost, WTB Rocket V Stealth saddle and red Hope seat collar, no QR

They also got my NiteRider Storm HID.

The pics are a little older, but they are better than nothing.
    I would appreciate it if you Tucson folks would keep an eye out. Oh, and if you live mid-town (Ft. Lowell/Campbell area) be careful.

John
    I can be contacted at 520-360-3232
    Last edited by jdub347; 04-06-2007 at 02:55 PM.

workin' it Administrator

Dude that sucks

John,

I am back commuting from the UofA to the far east side so I will keep an eye out. I know what your bikes look like. Hopefully I will see them and justice can be paid. My truck was stolen in November so I know the feeling and would love a little payback for that Karma.

David
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    John,

I am back commuting from the UofA to the far east side so I will keep an eye out. I know what your bikes look like. Hopefully I will see them and justice can be paid. My truck was stolen in November so I know the feeling and would love a little payback for that Karma.

David
    David,
    Thanks..Rick told me about your truck. Man, isn't Tucson great. I really, really, really would like to catch these scumbags and maim them.

John

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

Maybe look beyond tweekers?

Quote Originally Posted by jdub347
    Some douchebag tweekers broke into my house yesterday and took my 2 bikes.

John
    It sounds like very 'bike-specific' tweekers, if anything small and of value was left behind, maybe expand your depth of suspects. Tweekers are thieves of opportunity, not usually ones to surveill a house, then break in at just the right time. Too much planning for them… It pains me to suggest that someone who coveted your equipment (read - another rider) is the more likely offender. I would suggest 'watching for the parts to cruise by' on another bikers' ride.

I had a bike stolen a few years ago by a local, thieving mechanic named Sam. You haven't had anyone at your house named Sam, lately, have you?
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.
    It sounds like very 'bike-specific' tweekers, if anything small and of value was left behind, maybe expand your depth of suspects. Tweekers are thieves of opportunity, not usually ones to surveill a house, then break in at just the right time. Too much planning for them… It pains me to suggest that someone who coveted your equipment (read - another rider) is the more likely offender. I would suggest 'watching for the parts to cruise by' on another bikers' ride.

I had a bike stolen a few years ago by a local, thieving mechanic named Sam. You haven't had anyone at your house named Sam, lately, have you?

Well, they didn't just target my bikes...they were in the living room and pretty accessible. They also got my guitar, my digi-cam, CD's, Play Station and some of my roommates stuff. They did grab my HID though, but that was with the bikes in the NiteRider bag. I would really be disappointed if it was another rider that broke in. If the bikes are left intact and ridden, they will be found...even some of the parts. I don't know a guy named Sam, and I would think that the cyclists I ride/hang out with would NEVER pull a stunt like this, but you never know.

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004
    Well, they didn't just target my bikes...they were in the living room and pretty accessible. They also got my guitar, my digi-cam, CD's, Play Station and some of my roommates stuff. They did grab my HID though, but that was with the bikes in the NiteRider bag. I would really be disappointed if it was another rider that broke in. If the bikes are left intact and ridden, they wil lbe found...even some of the parts. I don't know a guy named Sam, and I would think I KNOW the cyclists I ride/hang out with would never pull a stunt like this. God forbid I catch them though....
    Well, kind of mixed bag response from me: glad you don't think it is a rider, terrible that so many more items than bikes taken.

The feeling when you first see/realize what has happened is impossible to describe to 'those who have YET to experience it'. The anger, violation, everything…

I'll watch on the trails out my way.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.
    Well, kind of mixed bag response from me: glad you don't think it is a rider, terrible that so many more items than bikes taken.

The feeling when you first see/realize what has happened is impossible to describe to 'those who have YET to experience it'. The anger, violation, everything…

I'll watch on the trails out my way.

Thanks....you are right, I am still in shock I was hit. What amazes me is how brave these thieves are. They pulled this off in the middle of the day when neither my roommate or I were home, so I am sure they have been watching the house and found the pattern.

Plus size jersey model
    One of my good friends and riding buddy is the head of the bike patrol for UofA so I emailed him the pics of your bikes. I thought who better to let know then someone who comes across hundreds of bike a day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sikwoodbiker
    One of my good friends and riding buddy is the head of the bike patrol for UofA so I emailed him the pics of your bikes. I thought who better to let know then someone who comes across hundreds of bike a day.
    That is awesome. I appreciate it.

John

mtbr member
    Bump

Endurance Junkie
    Had my kid's powerlite stolen 8:00am Speedway/Country club .thought we would never see it again .So about 1:00pm we go to bookman's on Grant,what do we see go'ing the other way on Grant, a bright orange powerlite .So to make along story short flipped a b**ch drove up next to tweeker who would not stop so had to use truck to stop'em, let's just say if your go'ing to run from a truck get the hell out of bike lane .Don't give up hope, I got our's back .It looks like your half way there.GOOD LUCK !!!

mtbr member
    Update:
    Unbelievaby, I recovered my fixie yesterday. It is pure dumb luck that some guy dragged it in to a shop my buddy works at and wanted to sell it. A guy he works recognized it and with picked it up for the princely sum of $15. Needless to say it was setup in full on tweeker transpo mode, but it is complete. I went through it and fixed some stuff, so it is ready to ride. The Rig is still missing though.
    Friggen awesome, now lets get a rope......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikes4max
    Had my kid's powerlite stolen 8:00am Speedway/Country club .thought we would never see it again .So about 1:00pm we go to bookman's on Grant,what do we see go'ing the other way on Grant, a bright orange powerlite .So to make along story short flipped a b**ch drove up next to tweeker who would not stop so had to use truck to stop'em, let's just say if your go'ing to run from a truck get the hell out of bike lane .Don't give up hope, I got our's back .It looks like your half way there.GOOD LUCK !!!
    Well, the good thing is that I at least got the guys first name and place of employment, so I am gonna call TPD today and hopefully they will follow up.

workin' it Administrator
    it is time to get medieval on his ass!

Although as a tweeker it will likely happen anyways.

Did you check the bike swap last weekend for the bike? I forgot about this thread or I would have reminded you.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    it is time to get medieval on his ass!

Although as a tweeker it will likely happen anyways.

Did you check the bike swap last weekend for the bike? I forgot about this thread or I would have reminded you.

I missed the swap meet....I meant to go, but completly fogot abou it. I called TPD about the case today, but who knows what they will do....it's time go go a visitin' with the 'ol .45.

mtbr member

Bike Swap

I was there all day selling and looking. Did see a guys selling a purple rig (frame) and red king head set, but none of the other parts were present. The guy also had several other frames (Voodoo, Yeti, ...). {Side not, David, Doug bought the Yeti ht) Not sure what size the Rig was. So hard to say whether legit or not at something like that. There are lots of people who own purple rigs and king headsets. Had a few other parts been there, I think it'd be fishy.

I'll definitely keep an eye out on the trail and around town.

Matt

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    This really sucks- sorry to hear about it.

Just out of curiosity jDub347- how did they get into your house? I'm relatively new to the area and still trying to figure out how to safeguard my stuff. We have 4 bikes in the house, along with other valuable stuff. We also have 2 dogs who bark and look aggressive when strangers approach, so hopefully that'll help.

One other suggestion to folks out there: renter's insurance. It's worth it for the peace of mind in knowing that if you house gets broken into, my stuff will be replaced.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sonoranbiker

Just out of curiosity jDub347- how did they get into your house? I'm relatively new to the area and still trying to figure out how to safeguard my stuff. We have 4 bikes in the house, along with other valuable stuff. We also have 2 dogs who bark and look aggressive when strangers approach, so hopefully that'll help.

One other suggestion to folks out there: renter's insurance. It's worth it for the peace of mind in knowing that if you house gets broken into, my stuff will be replaced.

Renters insurance is great...I have always had it. I just moved out to LA and been talking with the GF about getting it again. We had one of our cars broken into two days ago and renters insurance would of covered what was stolen,,,normal car insurance does not cover what was stolen...Renters insurance is cheap and worth it BIG TIME.....

eat your porridge jordie
    I saw a guy selling a Purple GF at the USA Pawn at 22nd/Kolb. They offered him $250 for it and he took it. I asked him why he was selling it and he just shrugged. This was a little while back, you might want to call them up and see what's up with it. I can't remember specifically if it was your bike but it looked similar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sonoranbiker

Well, they punched out a pane in my kitchen window and cranked the window open (old house). I did have security doors, but they weren't double keyed deadbolts. That's how they got out...just unlocked the door from the inside. If I would have had those, it would have been much harder for them to get out and they would have maybe attracted the neighboors attention. They did it before 3 in the afternoon, so it was a ballsy move on their part. Dogs may have helped out.
    Oh, and I kick myself daily for not having renters insurance..never again will I be without it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmydean012
    I saw a guy selling a Purple GF at the USA Pawn at 22nd/Kolb. They offered him $250 for it and he took it. I asked him why he was selling it and he just shrugged. This was a little while back, you might want to call them up and see what's up with it. I can't remember specifically if it was your bike but it looked similar.

I will check them out, thanks for the heads up. I scoured the pawn shops for a couple weeks and asked a lot of them if they had my bike, but to no avail. Friggin' guys are just legal fences for godsake....I am sure they try to help people out as little as possible.

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    If you find the guy let us know. We can hold him on the ground and play speedbump with our bikes. Or hang him up and play pinata.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattyd
    I was there all day selling and looking. Did see a guys selling a purple rig (frame) and red king head set, but none of the other parts were present. The guy also had several other frames (Voodoo, Yeti, ...). {Side not, David, Doug bought the Yeti ht) Not sure what size the Rig was. So hard to say whether legit or not at something like that. There are lots of people who own purple rigs and king headsets. Had a few other parts been there, I think it'd be fishy.

I'll definitely keep an eye out on the trail and around town.

Matt
    If it was mine, it would have had a bunch of wear on the lower right hand side (while looking at frame from front) head tube and lower headset cup...