Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Stepping up the gears... How badly should this hurt?

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  JMac47 
#1 ·
Gotta replace the cassette and chain (chain broke on me a couple days ago) and it's been three chains on the original rings so I ordered new rings.

Going from 22/32 to 24/36.

36 won't matter since it's mostly for DH but 22 to 24 may be more than I'm bargaining for.

Any of you gearheads have a rough estimate of what +2 up front is gonna feel like with a standard 9sp 11-34 in back? I'm just guessing but I don't think it would feel the same as +2 in back would but I don't know squat...

#8 ·
2x9

So, looks like 22 > 24 is about the same as 1 gear in back. I can live with that. I do use granny but not a lot. Typically, I'm in 2 or 3 while climbing so looks like my climbs will be a little tougher but I shouldn't have to do any more walking than I normally would.

#9 ·
I think the Sram XX1 on your 26" XC/DH bike would be pretty sweet. I don't ride 26" wheels, but a friend of mine does and he just upgraded to the XX1. He is extermely fast and this made him even faster. With the 10-42t cassette in back paired up with the 26" wheel and a 32t ring up front, the guy can climb a wall and still sprint pretty fast!

Just my opinion... :)

#12 ·
You haven't met my sorry ass...

I've been running 24x36 with an 11-34 for years. What doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger.
What length derailleur you runnin'? I've got a med cage and when in 22/34 the cage is as far back as it will go and the chain looks like it's rubbing against itself. Now, in it's defense, this derailleur is beat to sh|t. I'm surprised it's still working. So, when it fails and I put a new med cage on I'll know for sure. Added two links to the chain length. Well, I call it two but it's literally 4 since you can't actually remove just one.

I'll see soon enough...

I didn't have to tool to pull the crank off so I let DNA do that. When I picked it up Cory says, "that new bash looks good." I smiled and said, "not for long." :)

#14 ·
I've been pleasantly surprised at how little these bigger gears have affected me. Where I would normally climb in 2 or 3 in back I STILL climb in 2 or 3. I just force myself to crank the larger gear for longer. I mostly only go to granny when I know the tough stuff is behind me. I use it as a breather gear :)

There are spots that I know what I normally climb in and I'll focus on climbing in a harder gear simply because I know I have one less emergency gear to work with. I turn my "workout" rides into actual workouts. :)

It's been tougher on my legs but what is tough on the bike is simply making me stronger. Another reason why I'm not worried about how heavy my bike or tires are. More weight means I get stronger.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it... :thumbsup:

#18 ·
Use this gear ratio calculator to figure what you currently have vs. what the new one will be. E.g. find the "new" gear in your current setup and try riding it for a while. I did this when contemplating a new bike which had 1X11, and there was no way I could do it.
It's a done thing already. I DID notice but I forced myself to push harder and make it work.

#19 ·
I have been riding single 36 upfront and 11-36 for the past few months. Surprisingly out of seat climbing only accounts for less than 5% of my riding, except when I ride the McD mountains - then it's like 40%. (85% on the uphill).

Of course stand up pedaling only makes sense on hardtails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.