Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Steel is Real... Oh Wait!

I broke my frame! Steel Marin Pine Trail. Bummer, I guess its time to go full suspension, move up to a more "All Mountain" bike. Anyone have a good bike for sale cheap, size XL?

Steel is Real... Oh Wait!-img_20131012_093407.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Re: Steel is Real... Oh Wait!

Weld it up!

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    My uneducated guess is that by the time I pay someone to weld and then paint, it will be more than it would cost to replace. Am I wrong?

I can get this: On-One Inbred 29er Vertical Dropout, all parts would swap and I would have the comfort of knowing there are no more cracks either.

Or I can upgrade... decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Federline View Post
    Weld it up!

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member

Steel is Real... Oh Wait!

Quote Originally Posted by azorr View Post
    I broke my frame! Steel Marin Pine Trail. Bummer, I guess its time to go full suspension, move up to a more "All Mountain" bike. Anyone have a good bike for sale cheap, size XL?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131012_093407.jpg 
Views:	504 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	838634
    Flesh wound.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azorr View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131012_093407.jpg 
Views:	504 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	838634
    ahhhh no.....

dude, I broke 2 full suspension frames in the period of one year... Never cracked or broke a hardtail.. and I have been riding since 1992.... that 2nd FS frame was my last...

FS are worse when it comes to frame reliability...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Flesh wound.
    I agree... you could probably drill holes in that frame and it wouldn't do any harm...

mtbr member
    Looks like a scratch from the picture, but I will say I can't see it very well. Odd place to crack.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Its definitely a crack, I have a pic of the other side but I didn't post it, but I can see daylight through it. Its cracked 70% through the tube, more that just a flesh wound. I notice it was there because my front end was flexing all over the place. This is my 2nd HT frame in the last year... first one was my fault though.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Looks like a scratch from the picture, but I will say I can't see it very well. Odd place to crack.

mtbr member
    Try Ti it's the Tits

mtbr member
    Here is the other side
    Steel is Real... Oh Wait!-1380794_593990287327283_963187305_n.jpg

Give it a crank
    You see a lot more broken FS frames than hardtails. I've broken 2 FS bikes, never a hardtail even with dents.

mtbr member
    Steel may be real but all Steel frames are not created equal. I noticed that it cracked right where the cable tab is welded on. I'm no welding expert but it looks a bit suspect as to craftsmanship. I don't think Marin is considered high end and what you'll pay for an FS you can get a higher end frame with steel or ti. ti gets my vote.

Happy shopping.

Big B's Trails
    Too much heat where they welded the cable stop on= bad craftsmanship
    Steel is real, just make sure it's 853 and decent welds
    I dig dirt!

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    im waiting for some manufacturer to produce a HT frame called the steel panther, till then ill stick with my carbon

mtbr member
    So... since I have a broke 26" HT and a broken 29" HT I was thinking of finally taking the FS plunge... however I am really a "set it and forget it" type of guy and I am scared that I will have even more maintenance to do on a FS with bearings and rear shock etc. I am thinking of buying an On One Inbred 29er frame and an On One 456 Evo2 frame (Can get both new for around $550) and swap all the parts from the broken frames to the new frames. Inbred 29er would handle XC duties, 456 would handle more aggressive rides. Any reason not to go with this?

My other plan is to sell the parts from both broken bikes and try and find a used do it all full suspension bike. Anyone care to share their opinions?

mtbr member
    I believe if that was re-welded, it would just crack again next to the weld. I think the problem here is a combination of heavy rider, and the fact that a 120mm travel fork is being used. I don't know if the frame was designed for that much travel. The extra leverage can do this damage quickly on our trails. AZORR you might check with marin to see what fork travel was recommended for that frame.
    that is not an unusual place for the bottom tube to crack. You get more flex away from the ends of the tubes where they join.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    Lew, nice to see they let you out of work now and then! Yea not much point checking with Marin now, the frame is toast, my fault or otherwise. Anyway, on to the next thing. Any advice on FS vs stick with HT?

Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW View Post
    I believe if that was re-welded, it would just crack again next to the weld. I think the problem here is a combination of heavy rider, and the fact that a 120mm travel fork is being used. I don't know if the frame was designed for that much travel. The extra leverage can do this damage quickly on our trails. AZORR you might check with marin to see what fork travel was recommended for that frame.
    that is not an unusual place for the bottom tube to crack. You get more flex away from the ends of the tubes where they join.

mtbr member
    yah checking with marin would just be for educational purposes and curiosity. I like full suspension, but that is my opinion from my own experience of having owned and ridden both types of frames. I haven't had ANY full susser breakage problems, but I tend to ride high end frames. I think you should rent, borrow, or demo a fs bike and see what you think?

mtbr member
    Good advice, thanks Lew. How did you like your Fuji bike/frame (quality wise at least, I know you weren't a fan of the HT). Looking at a Fuji FS frame. Also, what were your thoughts on the 29" HT vs a 26" FS?

yah checking with marin would just be for educational purposes and curiosity. I like full suspension, but that is my opinion from my own experience of having owned and ridden both types of frames. I haven't had ANY full susser breakage problems, but I tend to ride high end frames. I think you should rent, borrow, or demo a fs bike and see what you think?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    im waiting for some manufacturer to produce a HT frame called the steel panther, till then ill stick with my carbon
    All you need are some Steel Panther decals.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    and the fact that a 120mm travel fork is being used. I don't know if the frame was designed for that much travel. The extra leverage can do this damage quickly on our trails.
    This. From looking at the picture and amount of exposed stanchion I would have bet $10 the frame was over forked and the additional leverage caused that crack. I wouldn't try to repair it, just get a frame that suits the type of riding you want to do, whether it is a FS or HT! Plenty of HT's out there that were designed for a 120mm fork. Good luck!

mtbr member
    The fuji quality seemed very good and it was reinforced where frames should be. What fuji fs frame were you considering?
    Good suspension regardless of wheel size, is going to be smoother riding than any ht. 29er wheels themselves get better traction than a 26er wheel. However, Fs bikes get better traction than ht's in a given wheel size. With same build wheels the 26er wheel will always be the stronger wheel. My 29er wheels needed truing, and spokes tightened after most rides. Pro's and con's either way. Just depends on what you want from the bike.

Ahhh the pain....
    Not to start an argument here, but if your wheels need adjustments after every ride, then you either have a poorly built wheelset or a set that isn't designed to take the abuse you give them. (ie, a 300lb guy riding stans Crests...)

The fuji quality seemed very good and it was reinforced where frames should be. What fuji fs frame were you considering?
    Good suspension regardless of wheel size, is going to be smoother riding than any ht. 29er wheels themselves get better traction than a 26er wheel. However, Fs bikes get better traction than ht's in a given wheel size. With same build wheels the 26er wheel will always be the stronger wheel. My 29er wheels needed truing, and spokes tightened after most rides. Pro's and con's either way. Just depends on what you want from the bike.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Not to start an argument here, but if your wheels need adjustments after every ride, then you either have a poorly built wheelset or a set that isn't designed to take the abuse you give them. (ie, a 300lb guy riding stans Crests...)

At one point I was having to true up my rear wheel just about after each ride. I am 155lbs rider on 26" hardtail. It is a machine built Mavic with XT hub and v-brakes. Anyway for long time I had to tweak it every couple rides as it would drag on the brakes. Then one I day I really got after it and tuned it by sound. I make sure each spoke sounded the same pitch with a little tap. Not a perfect way to set tension, but reasonably close. Then a few minor adjustments to true it up and since then the wheel has stayed true. No change riding style at all.

My thinking is that wheel was not built well to start with and that is why it went out of true so much. Once I did a better job of setting the spoke tension it seems to be much better.

So maybe that is bighorn lew's problem. I am really starting to think my next set of wheels will be custom built, but a guy who knows what he is doing. That Dave guy will probably get money even if it costs a big more.

Then again I have no plans for new wheels either as I am in very happy place with my current bike and components.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Raybum I agree with you. My wheelset had WTB lazer disc rims that weren't the best, but they were factory built, so who knows? The tension felt good though. I am 195# plus with gear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast