SamuraiBunnyGuy

stay extra vigilant if riding hawes,, not a bobcat

yesterday Shana saw a big cat with a long black-tipped tail behind our fence. she yelled to me to come running but it was moving fast and was out of sight by the time i got to the patio.
    not seeing it for myself is the only reason i didn't call the cops. we have had bobcats hop the fence into our yard before but she swears this wasn't one.

we are on the northern border of Red Mountain Ranch, and the animals often use the area between the quarry and the houses to pass from power road to far enough west where they can cross viewmont to access the RMR golf course (where there is deep thick foliage and a pack of 15-20 tasty javelina live) without having to go thru the streets.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I love the big cats we have around here. Don't be fooled, they are everywhere and on many rides here in Flagstaff you may not see one but they see you! Luckily we are not part of their preferred diet but I always keep a close eye on my 6 year old daughter and the dogs, especially around sunset or sunrise.

aka Diesel

stay extra vigilant if riding hawes,, not a bobcat

You post this one day after we put a house in Las Sendas under contract???
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    There are large owls possessing the grip strength to break your neck, but at least you won't hear or see them coming if they mistake you for a rabbit! .
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

white mountains
    We see Mountain Lions up here every year.

Advice... Do NOT run away... They will not attack when you come face to face, unless you act like a "rabbit", so don't. I know "easier said then done", just say'n..

It is legal to carry a firearm still in AZ. It supplies another layer of protection, again, just say'n.

Now if it is a bear and her cubs... Well your done...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WM-Rider View Post
    We see Mountain Lions up here every year.

Advice... Do NOT run away... They will not attack when you come face to face, unless you act like a "rabbit", so don't. I know "easier said then done", just say'n..

It is legal to carry a firearm still in AZ. It supplies another layer of protection, again, just say'n.

Now if it is a bear and her cubs... Well your done...
    I have ridden close to a black bear and cubs, about 75 feet and they just kept on moving along doing their thing. That was on Lil Gnarly on my first bike ride ever in Arizona during the first week I moved here in 2002. They will usually do that and black bear attacks are rare but we have been seeing more with the huge wildfires these days. With that being said I wouldn't take any chances though!

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I live in Las Sendas. A mountain lion was spotted 100 feet from my door last month. Attacks are so rare. It is always good to keep an eye out though.

CoyoteKis, That would be cool if you and Walt moved in.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    yesterday Shana saw a big cat with a long black-tipped tail behind our fence. she yelled to me to come running but it was moving fast and was out of sight by the time i got to the patio.
    not seeing it for myself is the only reason i didn't call the cops. we have had bobcats hop the fence into our yard before but she swears this wasn't one.

we are on the northern border of Red Mountain Ranch, and the animals often use the area between the quarry and the houses to pass from power road to far enough west where they can cross viewmont to access the RMR golf course (where there is deep thick foliage and a pack of 15-20 tasty javelina live) without having to go thru the streets.
    Mike, Im not sure what staying extra vigilant is supposed to do for me. You basically live up against the 5th largest national forest in the US. I would expect there to be a lot of wildlife. A quick look on google yields nothing on mountain lion attacks in Phoenix (not saying there arent any) on humans at least. One source I did manage to find said 6 attacks per year with 1 or less deaths per year in North America.

I really dont know what I could even do to prevent an attack on me short of not ever riding again. I really wouldnt be concerned about it. (unless you are a small dog I imagine)
    Last edited by Douger-1; 06-18-2013 at 09:27 AM.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    I really wouldnt be concerned about it. (unless you are a small dog I imagine)
    And small dogs are always nervous so you can't use them as a gauge...

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

The thing that may be a little concerning is that it's been spotted several times supposedly in residential areas. A normal cougar is rarely seen so maybe it's sick or hungry because it's been pushed out of it's area by a bigger kitty or a fire.

I wouldn't stop riding but I might keep a closer eye on the kids in the back yard in that area.

Animals that prey on humans are usually found to have been forced out of their normal territory or food source.

( I love my Nat Geo Wild and Discovery channels)

26 ain't dead
    I saw a mountain lion there a couple years ago on the other side of the canal pretty close to the neighborhood. First time I've seen one in person too. It clearly wanted nothing to do with me either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis View Post
    You post this one day after we put a house in Las Sendas under contract???
    You guys moving back down to Las Sendas?! Woo hoo!

mtbr member
    I saw a mtn lion in the wash behind our house in anthem. He was just strolling up the wash. On the far side is a neighborhood dirt path suitable for kids with training wheels. Anyway about 3 min later a family with small kids was walking on the dirt path with no idea. I am sure this not the first time one has been I that wash, but just the first time I saw one.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    You guys moving back down to Las Sendas?! Woo hoo!
    Barring any kind of snag beyond our control (appraisal, inspection, blah blah, you know how it goes) then YES, we are! Can't believe I'm coming "home"! Woot! We'll have to have a Trail Warming Night Ride.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post

CoyoteKis, That would be cool if you and Walt moved in.
    YES! Thanks! Lots of sentimental attachment to my ol' home trails, and it would be great to get to know the "East Side" gang.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

My other ride is your mom
    damn...I miss me some Hawes and the close trail access I had there.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    And small dogs are always nervous so you can't use them as a gauge...
    Yeah, a frickin hawk will take those
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Rattlesnakes are way more of a threat to mt. bikers than the big cats. I've ridden hawes for 15 years. Big cat sightings? Zero. Rattlesnake encounters? At least ten. Just be tuned in and aware of your surroundings, (vigilant) like Mike the op suggested. Just enjoy riding!
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!