mtbr member
    Jan 2005

state route 264?

driving to utah from san antonio tx next week and one of my directions says to take this route. according to google it is about 150 miles and about 1.5 to 2 hours shorter. thats a lot in 20 hours or more of driving. just wondering if this route is a gd way to drive? safe& quicker than say ...going all the way to flagstaff to hit us 89 ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

nobody?

anybody?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    It's a decent road, but it depends on what your driving style is. The route cuts through the reservation, which is unique. It's very remote up there, but extremely scenic. You can run into high winds, loose animals (horses, cows, dogs, sheep, etc) right along the road. You can also run into slow drivers who drive under the speed limits. It's a two lane road with few passing areas.

So if you're looking for a road to haul ass across, this probably isn't it. If you can obey the speed limits and be very much on guard for animals and slow drivers, this might be for you. This corner of AZ is like this regardless of the road you take. You could go over to Flag and up SR 89, it's on the reservation as well, but far enough from the the true population centers that you don't have the same concerns, same with 491 in NM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

thanks

thats the info i was lookin for. going up 89 regardless so i think i will stay on 40 to flagstaff then on up. hitting a cow or other such animal will ruin my trip . could happen anywhere but no need to increase the likelyhood. also i have a heavy foot lol