Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Starr Pass Endo captured on film

If youve ridden starr pass you know where this is!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I hope there were no serious injuries, but damn that is a great picture!

slow uphill
    looks like the kind of picture that should be printed out daily and taped to a desk or water cooler

great shot - hopefully no damage

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ggnarl
    If youve ridden starr pass you know where this is!
    I know exactly where that is. It is much trickier than the photo makes it look!!

I watched my girlfriend eye that spot up many times, and one day she went for it. She bounced all over the place, and made it, but made me pretty nervous to watch.

pedaller

It's a bird! It's a plane!!!

It's Superman!!!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    My favorite thing about this shot is the smirk on his friends face! The guy was fine btw.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    great pic. That smirk at the bottom of what is nothing less then an impending face plant is great. riding the platform pedals looks like it made for a smooth dismount but it is all in the landing and at that point he looks to be beyond the tuck-and-roll phase and into the this-is-gonna-hurt phase.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    at least it looked like a fairly soft landing.

shred my gnar
    My favorite thing about this shot is the smirk on his friends face! The guy was fine btw.
    awesome. he (the guy at the bottom) must be a good buddy. starting to laugh before he even hits the ground. much like the dynamics b/t me & my riding buds... once upon a time it was check (for injuries) first, laugh after... these days its seems to be laugh first, check after.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That's a true friend. Friends aren't out there to show concern - our purpose is to mock and relish in the pain and embarrassment of our riding companions.
    I haven't reported my missing credit card to the police because whoever stole it is spending less than my wife.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ahahahah that is hilarious. Anyone good at photo shopping and turning this into something like those motivation photos?

I can see it now OH !#@%!!!!!

My cousin did this and I could not stop laughing on the path

Gold it's the new Pink!
    Lets start with a caption contest first.

Great photo!!

Crimson

mtbr member
    I know that spot well. The landing IS rather soft.... comparatively.
    Sonoran Desert Mountain Bicyclists - www.sdmb.org
    Board member Web Guru

------
    www.tucsonmtb.com

mtbr member
    You're doing it wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have riden this trail 100 times and that is a tricky spot. The one thing he has in his favor is deep sand in the wash and not in his favor - gravity LOL

Dust biter
    Jun 2008
    My caption for the contest:
    COURAGE
    Ignorance of your ineptitude

shred my gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedante
    My caption for the contest:
    COURAGE
    Ignorance of your ineptitude

nice! lol...

slow uphill
    send it to despair.com

you could rock the licensing fee and get one blown up to hang in the house - as a fun reminder

mtbr member
    I had no idea I was making such a smirk. It had been a while since I had seen such a catapulting. I got mine though; I flipped and kicked a barrel cactus on Bowtie two days later.
    This picture will be on my fridge for years.
    Funny thing about it is he rode that bike one last time before getting a new DB mission 3. I flipped my Bontrager before getting the enduro you see in the pic. Weird how that can work out.

EXORCIZE

That's the spot

Looks like the exact spot I endoed on a month ago, when I was riding that part for the first time. I hadn't endoed in, like, 50 rides. Near the bottom, I successfully lifted my front-wheel over a rock, but didn't think about the sand, and when my front wheel landed in it, I crossed up and went over. A relatively soft landing, but I must have felt dazed, b/c on the climb out of the wash, I clumsily ran my bike through some prickly brush. Once out of the wash, I was running water over the cut in my arm and inspecting my now needle-ridden tires, when I noticed a tarantula about 14 inches from my foot. Yikes!

I should have known it was my day, but I pushed on. Soon I came across two bikers, and the one who knew the area said I didn't have time to finish the Star Pass loop. At that point, I knew I had to finish the loop. Having never done the loop, I lost some time getting a bit lost here and there, but pushed hard and finished just before dark. I was feeling pretty proud of myself until I couldn't find my friggin' car no matter which direction I went. It got dark and I was riding around by the full moon. I eventually stopped a night jogger wearing a headlamp and he kindly led me to my car. I went home and drank beer.
    ride natty ride

mtbr member
    I recognize the smirk. Adam sees funny coming on a bike long before it arrives. That way his laughter rings in your ears as you hit the ground.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Since it is my ass in the picture, I guess I should say something. Nice picture for a fridge. Definitely a day of fun, and thankfully soft landings. Too bad the one time someone has a camera out...oh hell I would have gone over the bars anyway, might as well be caught on film.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Ninja dismount skills! Note the feet in front of the bars.
    I spent it all on bikes, beer and wasted the rest of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarltastic
    Since it is my ass in the picture, I guess I should say something. Nice picture for a fridge. Definitely a day of fun, and thankfully soft landings. Too bad the one time someone has a camera out...oh hell I would have gone over the bars anyway, might as well be caught on film.
    Yessir, it really is your ass in the picture. I'm sure you intended double entendre.

mtbr member
    Actually I have ridden Star Pass a number of times and can't quite figure out where this is. There is a little drop off into the wash that has a number of options about 1/3 of the way around the loop from the parking lot. The picture doesn't quite look like that location but it may just be the camera angle.

If this is the spot that I am thinking of it is almost easier to go left and roll the 18" drop vs. going right and potentially catching the wheel traps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast