mtbr member
    Oct 2008

SS gearing for east valley trails

Can any of you SS riders clue me in on your gear ratios. I just bought a new SS with 33x20. I'm new to SS and want to know what works for National, Gold Canyon, Hawes, etc.

Thanks for your help

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    Can any of you SS riders clue me in on your gear ratios. I just bought a new SS with 33x20. I'm new to SS and want to know what works for National, Gold Canyon, Hawes, etc.

Thanks for your help
    What size wheels are you on? I'm using 32/18 on a 26'er. I can ride most of Hawes ok with that gearing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm on a 29r.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Not sure about gearing for a 29'r I'm sure others with real world experience will chime in shortly. Good luck

mtbr member
    32/20 on my 29er is working well for all but the really long steep stuff.

mtbr member
    U will walk plenty with twenty

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've always run 32/20 on 29er SS.

I am Walt

Your 33x20 will be a fine all-around SS gearing for the Valley. Change the back out to a 21 for any big climbing rides (like the McDowell's), or to a 19 for miles at McDowell Mtn Park or Desert Classic.

I run 32x19 for everything, and like that ratio.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

I love bike!
    I run 33x20 on a 29er HT and can clean just about everything out at Hawes except for mudflaps. I would be walking quite a bit climbing the steeper stuff on Mormon or Natty but I've never tried and don't personally think it would be that fun anyways coming down YMMV. That's what I have the 6 inch bike for. Started with 33x18 and that was too steep. I don't get to ride much more than once a week so again YMMV.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks guys. I'm so new to SS it's not even funny. I've got a whopping 10 miles under my belt. Some of the climbs are so tough, I was wondering if my gearing was too stout. Now I know it's just me. Luckily fitness is something I can work on, and unlike bike parts, it doesn't cost me anything to upgrade.

So far I'm pretty stoked on the SS concept. It's very simple and pure. I look forward to getting better at it.

Thanks again

I am Walt

You'll be amazed at how quickly you'll ramp up as you get your "SS legs", and how much you'll be able to ride. Good luck, and have fun!!

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Welcome to the sickness! Like Walt says-you will get your legs and also learn the "technique" to SS riding. Momentum, corner speed, effective spin and body positioning while climbing will all conspire to make you faster/have more fun.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    It's getting back to the basics. Most of us learned to ride on a SS after all. I ride 32-20 and find that ratio works well until 11mph, then it's spin and bounce.
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

Ahhh the pain....
    Well, I've gotta say, gears are so individual. I've been riding SS exclusively for over 3 years and started on 32x21. Now on those same trails, I ride 33x20 or 33x19. Just so depends on your fitness. Just start with something like 32x20 or 21, and see how you feel. No shame in walking the steep stuff. Also, as you ride longer rides, you'll need a lower gear. A 19t might be good for a 1 hour ride, but try and ride it for 4 hours and you may suffer horribly. Bottom line, keep it simple...slap a gear on that works for you and ride everything...too hard to always switch out cogs!
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member

Well now I know why you HAB south Ray! Lol

Sent from your Moms phone using Tapinthat.

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member

*so much not south

Sent from your Moms phone using Tapinthat.

"Uppercase with a space"

Don't believe the Hype...
    I had my rigid 29er 34 x 18 for romping around around my house. Rode it in Sedona for about 11 miles from Bike and Bean to Chicken Point and back, it was pretty rough. I haven't been riding much lately and my quads where locking up the whole way back...I knew it was going to suck, but still wanted to try it...lol
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

I am Walt

Quote Originally Posted by luckybastard View Post
    I had my rigid 29er 34 x 18 for romping around around my house. Rode it in Sedona for about 11 miles from Bike and Bean to Chicken Point and back, it was pretty rough. I haven't been riding much lately and my quads where locking up the whole way back...I knew it was going to suck, but still wanted to try it...lol
    That's an effing TALL gear...

Ride more; post less...

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    That's an effing TALL gear...

^^exactly^^ For Sedona, that's a REALLY tall gear. Way too many punchy climbs requiring all out effort and very few places to take advantage of a big gear. I rode the SBFL loop about a month ago w/ 33x20...it was hard and I got worked over good. I rode it last year on 32x20. A guy who finished just before me rode it with 32x21. Again, it was 50+ miles of Sedona which is tough for most mortals.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So I've ridden my bike about six times now. I'm currently running a 33 x 20 setup. I'm not sure if it's me or the gearing, but 33 x 20 is tougher then I expected. I'm going to stick with it for a while, but may drop to a 32x 20 or 32X21.
    Last edited by aevanlloyd; 05-30-2013 at 09:36 PM.

Got a suspension fork
    I run 33x20 also, it's a good all around gear, but as other say and I'll echo - it's a totally personal thing. For example, last year at PicketPost Walt and I happened to be out there the same day and if I recall he was pushing 32x18 - I was on 32x20 and wishing I had 32x21, I was dying. We all ride SS differently so play with the 33x20 as it's a good starting point, you can swap out to different cogs as needed.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    I switched from 32x18 to 32x20 and it made a big difference for me. If you want to play around with gears, the Dimension brand cogs are super cheap and good enough for most riding. Once you find the sweet spot you could always upgrade to something a bit fancier if you felt the need.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post

Thanks for your help
    I just moved here from the Midwest and still have my flatland 33:18 gear which has been great for DC but a pretty good grind up and over the peak where the helipad tt starts. Saturday I decided to ride up Mormon/National until I couldn't take it any longer. Surprisingly I made it up to the road and didn't seem real limited with the gear. Most of the stuff I didn't ride I likely wouldn't have been able ride on my geared bike. But SS gearing is very personal and one size definitely doesn't fit all...I'm going to keep it on until my knees say uncle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I run 33x21 for Hawes and the McDowells and 33x17 for flat stuff like Usery Park. I'm not in the best of shape but SS is helping.
    Gravity G29 with mods
    Motobecane Fantomcross Pro
    Trek 5900
    Random Giant MTB converted to SS grocery getter.