Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CrazyEye

SS, another satisfied customer

So I picked up a nicely upgraded, used Monocog on Friday. I hit T100 over at North Mountain parking lot after work. It was awesome, all the stuff they say is true. I'm not that good of shape. I though I was going to be dying. It's running 36:20 and that seemed fine. What do most people run? Well I think the FS is going to get a lot of rest...just like every one else says....

my knees hurt
    congrats, and welcome to the wonderful world of single speeding.....let your other bikes know you will now be using them less and less and not to get jealous

As far as gearing goes everyone is different and it also depends on the amount of climbing you usually do....2:1 is where I usually find myself though. On a 26er 32:16 on a 29er 32:18....
    BELIEVE
    Imagine what you could achieve if you knew you would not fail.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedsycip
    on a 29er 32:18....
    Yes, but you're an animal. Us regular folks would probably enjoy an extra tooth (or two) in back. I'll be joining the ranks of the SS crowd once again with a new El Mariachi soon. Hoping to get 'er built up next week. Gonna run 32:19
    Can you hear me now?

Large wheels & one gear
    I run (on 29'rs) 32:19 or 32:20. Depends on where I ride.
    I Never Apologize............I'm Sorry, That's Just The Way I Am.

[SIZE=1]ChemBright Carpet & Upholstery LLC[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    26" i ran 32x17
    now on 29's and i run 32x18

mtbr member
    I've found 34:20 to be a good one size fits all gear but you'll really be spinning if the trail gets flat...

I am Walt
    32:20 on my 29'er...a little spinny on flats and downs, but I like it for a go-everywhere gear.
    Ride more; post less...

CrazyEye

Ratio

I thought most of the locals were running 32 up front. So is my 36:20 is the just shade easier than 32:18? Any reason not to run a 36 up front? It has the Surly flip flop hub with a 18 on other side. Should the 36:18 feel the same as a 32:16? Or am I missing something?

I am Walt

It's about the gear inches...

Calculate the gear inches as follows:
    Front ring / rear cog x wheel diameter = gear inches

Example with 32:20:
    32 / 20 x 29 = 46.4 gear inches

Example with 36:20:
    36 / 20 x 29 = 52.2 gear inches

Your current gearing is about 12.5% "harder" than mine.

And so forth...just lets you figure how much "harder" or "easier" your gearing will get as you change out rings and/or cogs.
    Ride more; post less...

igoslo
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEye
    I thought most of the locals were running 32 up front. So is my 36:20 is the just shade easier than 32:18? Any reason not to run a 36 up front? It has the Surly flip flop hub with a 18 on other side. Should the 36:18 feel the same as a 32:16? Or am I missing something?
    I run a 32:18 on my bike and that's worked out pretty well for me so far. Your gear is slightly taller that 32:18, but close enough. As for the extensive use of 32 tooth rings, better clearance for obstacles, better facilitates lower gears, lighter weight, shorter chain, blah, blah, BS, blah. Doesn't really matter so long as the gear your running works for you. 36:18 = 32:16 = 2:1, same same.

igoslo
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Calculate the gear inches as follows:
    Front ring / rear cog x wheel diameter = gear inches

Example with 32:20:
    32 / 20 x 29 = 46.4 gear inches

Example with 36:20:
    36 / 20 x 29 = 52.2 gear inches

Your current gearing is about 12.5% "harder" than mine.

And so forth...just lets you figure how much "harder" or "easier" your gearing will get as you change out rings and/or cogs.
    [SIZE="1"]Pssst...

I think he's on a 26er.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by SoloRider
    I run a 32:18 on my bike and that's worked out pretty well for me so far. Your gear is slightly taller that 32:18, but close enough. As for the extensive use of 32 tooth rings, better clearance for obstacles, better facilitates lower gears, lighter weight, shorter chain, blah, blah, BS, blah. Doesn't really matter so long as the gear your running works for you. 36:18 = 32:16 = 2:1, same same.
    I'm no expert here... But, from what I have read different size rings/cogs although having the same ratio will produce different gear inches. At that level however one as reached the epitome of SS geekdom (not a bad thing mind you...).
    Can you hear me now?

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by SoloRider
    [SIZE="1"]Pssst...

I think he's on a 26er.[/SIZE]
    Oh...

Doesn't everyone ride 29'ers...?

Oh well, just need to change all the math stuff...
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie
    I'm no expert here... But, from what I have read different size rings/cogs although having the same ratio will produce different gear inches. At that level however one as reached the epitome of SS geekdom (not a bad thing mind you...).
    No they won't...math is math...

Now, the crank length will impact things...longer cranks create more leverage and make it "harder" thus effectively increasing the gear inches...I think...
    Ride more; post less...

CrazyEye
    Right on, thanks guys. Walt, I was asking about a 29er Cog a last week. But found this 26" with all the goodies for about $125 less than a stock 29er so I thought what the hell. Glad I did.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEye
    Right on, thanks guys. Walt, I was asking about a 29er Cog a last week. But found this 26" with all the goodies for about $125 less than a stock 29er so I thought what the hell. Glad I did.
    It's great that you're getting into the SS thing. It will really help make you a stronger rider.

Without going into the 29'er religious thing, they do shine as SS's and hardtails...that's where you get the greatest benefit of the 29" wheels.
    Ride more; post less...

Not a Barry supporter.
    [QUOTE=waltaz]Doesn't everyone ride 29'ers...?
    [QUOTE]

No
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

No they won't...math is math...

Now, the crank length will impact things...longer cranks create more leverage and make it "harder" thus effectively increasing the gear inches...I think...
    32:18 gearing will not produce the same gear inches as 34:20 or 36:22 or 39:25... In my previous post I shouldn't have used the word "ratio" I was talking about different sized ring/cog configs like the difference between 32:18 and 34:20, etc.
    Can you hear me now?

pedaller
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    29ers are just a fad. The bigger wheels are heavier thus slowing acceleration which requires more power. Limited tire choices, most are really thin (to keep weight down) and in turn tend to get damaged easily, and then good luck trying to find a replacement. Forks and wheels flex more than their 26" brothers. Its just marketing hype/propaganda started by the evil empire (Gary Fisher... aka Trek) to fix something that was never broken in the first place.

and now we have to change our math! Great!!!

I'll just stick to my trusty Diamondback Overdrive.

Oh...

Doesn't everyone ride 29'ers...?

Oh well, just need to change all the math stuff...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    29ers are just a fad. The bigger wheels are heavier thus slowing acceleration which requires more power. Limited tire choices, most are really thin (to keep weight down) and in turn tend to get damaged easily, and then good luck trying to find a replacement. Forks and wheels flex more than their 26" brothers. Its just marketing hype/propaganda started by the evil empire (Gary Fisher... aka Trek) to fix something that was never broken in the first place.

and now we have to change our math! Great!!!

I'll just stick to my trusty Diamondback Overdrive.

No fad...no way!

If you hate them or love them they are here. I have ridden both 26 and 29. The only 29 I ride is my SS hardtail but from the moment I felt the bigger wheels on the trail I knew the big wheels felt right, for me. The people that are saying 29'rs are a fad are probably the same that said rap music and the internet were fads

ross

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    So, you're saying its a good idea to mount up a set of heavy tires to a set of road bike rims?
    Ah-ha! If I take Surly 1x1, throw on a set of road wheels with some 2.0 or wider tires, is that a 29er? A 29er is just a 26er with 700c road bike wheels?

Or is it just a cross bike with flat bars? So, if I take a 29er and a set of drop bars and 32c tires on it, does that make it a cyclocross bike? Is the 5mm of rear dropout difference the defining factor between 29er and cross bike?

Sounds like 29er is a fancy way of saying 'expensive hybrid bike'...(marketing hype). Its like when you go to the car dealership. They don't call them 'Used car salemen" anymore... its "Pre-owned Sales Professional".

29er

Quote Originally Posted by ruzz
    No fad...no way!

If you hate them or love them they are here. I have ridden both 26 and 29. The only 29 I ride is my SS hardtail but from the moment I felt the bigger wheels on the trail I knew the big wheels felt right, for me. The people that are saying 29'rs are a fad are probably the same that said rap music and the internet were fads

ross

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Almost... longer cranks create more leverage and make it *easier* to turn the cranks. Is 5mm (actually 10mm) really noticeable? I think there was a difference, but I knew I was making the change.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    So, you're saying its a good idea to mount up a set of heavy tires to a set of road bike rims?
    Ah-ha! If I take Surly 1x1, throw on a set of road wheels with some 2.0 or wider tires, is that a 29er? A 29er is just a 26er with 700c road bike wheels?

Or is it just a cross bike with flat bars? So, if I take a 29er and a set of drop bars and 32c tires on it, does that make it a cyclocross bike? Is the 5mm of rear dropout difference the defining factor between 29er and cross bike?

Sounds like 29er is a fancy way of saying 'expensive hybrid bike'...(marketing hype). Its like when you go to the car dealership. They don't call them 'Used car salemen" anymore... its "Pre-owned Sales Professional".

29er
    Yes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Konapdlr
    I run (on 29'rs) 32:19 or 32:20. Depends on where I ride.

[SIZE="7"]HA! HAH! HAAAAA![/SIZE]

See?!?

You SS guys shift too!

It just takes a wrench and a little bit of down-time.

-- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0