Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Closekids.com

SRAM 1x11 looks pretty Rock Star for around here!

Anyone running it #1

and #2 how many 1x11 options are there?
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

Alive and Lurkin'

SRAM 1x11 looks pretty Rock Star for around here!

I would say there are 11 options on a 1x11

Sent using Tap N Stalk
    Pumpin & Pimpin

mtbr member
    It is rock solid. I have it on both my FS Jet and my HT StumpJumper. Excellent drivetrain! Quiet, efficient, and, so far, very durable! I run 32t on the FS and 34t on the HT. Highly recommend it. Way better than the 2x10 I had!

Options in the front ring: 28t, 30t, 34t, and 36t

Cassette has only 1 option: 10-42

Shifters can be trigger or gripshift. I opted for trigger on both bikes.
    -boom

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Its the only way to go ,I have it on my new build and I will never go with anything else.
    It works so good , no chain noise at all , no ghost shifting , no dropped chains ever, no chain suck ,no need for a guide or roller .
    only one shifter , no stupid front derailleur.
    The XX1 set up is really that good , I could never go back and use any other drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr View Post
    Its the only way to go ,I have it on my new build and I will never go with anything else.
    It works so good , no chain noise at all , no ghost shifting , no dropped chains ever, no chain suck ,no need for a guide or roller .
    only one shifter , no stupid front derailleur.
    The XX1 set up is really that good , I could never go back and use any other drivetrain.
    We ear that a lot! Will Shimano develop there own version of 1x11? almost every high-end trail bike is showed with 1x11 in magazine, internet news etc... That tells a lot...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Shimano will have to come up with their own version , but boy are they late to the party.

I never liked or had any Shimano components anyway , ( Ok ...XTR trail pedals work real well for me ) but I just do not like anything else they make.

But I would bet they have been working over a year trying to get a 1X system that will work as well as XX1 and will come out with something for the Shimano guys out there .

Closekids.com
    How much $$ we talking???

In AZ, I need a climber. If I'm going over 25mph, I'm way more concerned with the brakes than my current gear!

Crap I was hoping this would be no good.

mtbr member
    My Pivot Les came with XX1 and it's awesome. I do 95% of my riding in/around the McDowells and have yet to find myself needing more gears than the 10x42 (with a 30t chainring). I could move up to a 32t even but really haven't spun out of the 10t yet so probably won't bother.

Go Speed Racer
    What brakes match up well? Building up a new ride and planning on XX1 and XT brakes... Would like a single mount on bars (on both sides) and don't want grip shift.

Closekids.com
    I'm not seeing much difference in weight on the X01.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner View Post
    I'm not seeing much difference in weight on the X01.
    The crank is not as good , and you can't change ft chain rings without taking the crank out .
    And the derailleur and shifter are missing all the cool features.

It is nice that the X01 its at a different price point , but for me , the ease of changing rings , the nice crank and the adjustable features , I want the XX1 .

As of yet it is not much savings , you may as well get the real deal

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I wish I could get the shifter mechanism for the left hand side. I guess I could run twister opposite...
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'm running a 1x10 with the XX1 cranks. I really like the cranks, I have a 30t and 32t to switch out when I want. Very silent, no slap, great at shifting gears with the clutch derailleur, etc. Only problem is that today my 3 mo old SRAM shifter died. It jammed on the first gear and can't move up or down, even with the cable removed. Warranty time, but this is just one of those things that never happens to a shimano rapid-fire shifter. Also noticed that my derailleur cable had frayed, which seems to be a common theme with many of the newer derailleurs from both shimano and SRAM. Anyway, I love the cranks so far. Drops something like 1.5lbs from a bike with a 2 or 3x drivetrain and metal cranks.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    SRAM quality/longevity seems to b crap compared to years past, IMO.
    They are being 'innovative' (if you can call ANY derailleur based system 'innovative), but they seem to be going for a "one season and Done' ethos lately.
    Which is insulting, given the prices.

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Are there situations or riders that 1x11 is not right for?

40+ yrs, 225 lbs riding fairly fast in the Don and SE Ontario.

Anthem 27.5 1 is ordered with late October ETA. Comes with Shimano 2x10 drivetrain in Canada.
    Cheers,

Van G

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Yes....super steep hike-a-bike type exploratory adventurers will still likely want increased low range, and broader spread towards the top end as well.
    Loaded touring as well.
    You will run out of low unless you run a limitingly small front cog.

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Yes....super steep hike-a-bike type exploratory adventurers will still likely want increased low range, and broader spread towards the top end as well.
    Loaded touring as well.
    You will run out of low unless you run a limitingly small front cog.
    So it sounds like average Joe in decent shape, riding established trails aggressively is good to go. I'll have to research ratios but the smallest I've gone in memory on current 3x9 is small ring, 7th cog in steep switch backs. I'll add to that statement by saying I sort of suck

Single ring is appealing if you don't run out juice.
    Cheers,

Van G

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    There is plenty of gear with XX1 , I run a 32 in the ft on a 29er and I can do all the steep stuff there is to do on the trails and I can run 40 mph in 11th in the rear with the roadies on asphalt ....( Strava )......I may go to a 30 in the ft to leave me one bail out gear in the bottom ( Im old) but i know several of the guys doing the Leadville that had 34 and 36 in ft .

So with 28 to 38 rings in two teeth increments for the front to choose from everybody will be able to find a gear that works for them . ( most mountain bikers will run 28 , 30 , or 32 )

The drive train is more durable than older systems also , its not a one season and done system , hell I still have the same XO shifters that my 08 Enduro came with ( I did go through two rear derailleurs , but I tore those off )

All you have to do is ride one once and your hooked , I will never have anything but XX1 on my bike .

mtbr member
    Wish I could make it affordable to swap out to XX1 on my new bike but wheelset on Anthem 27.5 1 isn't even compatible. Will have a chat with my shop and see what they can do but not optimistic.
    Cheers,

Van G

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    There is plenty of gear with XX1 , I run a 32 in the ft on a 29er and I can do all the steep stuff there is to do on the trails .
    Well, I was referring to off trail, both here in the Tetons and in Peru. STEEEP.

And as to longevity, I am referrining specifically to XX1 shifters and derailleurs, especially twist shift. Dismal warranty return rates so far.

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Well, I was referring to off trail, both here in the Tetons and in Peru. STEEEP.

And as to longevity, I am referrining specifically to XX1 shifters and derailleurs, especially twist shift. Dismal warranty return rates so far.
    I have not had or seen any problems with the derailleur or shifters ( I know Jayem has a jam on his , but I have fixed several jams on XTR and or XO triggers , Generally its not to big of a deal to correct ) .....but on the twist shift ....I really do not see how they live as long as they do , those poor thing are destine to come apart .
    The dérailleurs that most people turn in to warranty are just misunderstood, .......the clutch will make a pop noise every time the suspension is moved .

This is another easy fix that most guys and shops did not take the time to take it apart and see how it works , you can just clean the clutch out and add "Slick Honey" on it and then reset the pressure to how ever heavy you want the clutch and you are cured .

very simple deal , It is a racing part and it needs to be dialed in to work correctly on different suspension chassis .

The Devil is in the details

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Van G View Post
    Wish I could make it affordable to swap out to XX1 on my new bike but wheelset on Anthem 27.5 1 isn't even compatible. Will have a chat with my shop and see what they can do but not optimistic.
    I'll preface this by saying that I am running 1x10, but 2x10 is pretty sweet. A lot better than 3x10 IMO. If you've got some decent climbing around, you might find the 2x10 works really well for you. with something like a 36-24, it let's you be in the 36 for the majority of your riding, and you end up only dropping to the 24 for the really steep stuff or extended climbs. I found I didn't have to do nearly as much front shifting with a 2x10 as I used to do with 3x10. It's easy to run out of top end with a typical 32T middle ring. I say consider trying it out. Shifting on both Shimano's and SRAM 2x10 systems was superb compared to earlier years as well.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    I'll preface this by saying that I am running 1x10, but 2x10 is pretty sweet. A lot better than 3x10 IMO. If you've got some decent climbing around, you might find the 2x10 works really well for you. with something like a 36-24, it let's you be in the 36 for the majority of your riding, and you end up only dropping to the 24 for the really steep stuff or extended climbs. I found I didn't have to do nearly as much front shifting with a 2x10 as I used to do with 3x10. It's easy to run out of top end with a typical 32T middle ring. I say consider trying it out. Shifting on both Shimano's and SRAM 2x10 systems was superb compared to earlier years as well.
    Thanks for talking me off the envy ledge. Anthem 27.5 1 comes with 26 - 38 rings. Will talk with guys at the shop what setup works best for SE ON.
    Cheers,

Van G

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Not sure where you live, but dropping to 24/34 made my bike a LOT happier with 2/10.

And then we eat them."

Elitest thrill junkie
    I have not had or seen any problems with the derailleur or shifters ( I know Jayem has a jam on his , but I have fixed several jams on XTR and or XO triggers , Generally its not to big of a deal to correct ) .....but on the twist shift ....I really do not see how they live as long as they do , those poor thing are destine to come apart .
    The dérailleurs that most people turn in to warranty are just misunderstood, .......the clutch will make a pop noise every time the suspension is moved .
    Yeah. mine's a lower end X7 shifter. I'm just running 1x10, which is hundreds of dollars cheaper than 1x11. The cable didn't jam/loop like it's known to, something else weird happened (because we got the cable otu) where it's jammed in 1st gear and won't shift. Odd, but the bike shop exchanged me for a new set (front and rear) set of x7 shifters.

The x9 derailleur has been great so far, at first I thought it was a little off, but it turned out to be my cassette. That derailleur and those xx1 cranks though are outstanding in nasty conditions, "so far". Definitely like the precision and ability to cut through nasty stuff (mud, dirty, etc) without the drivetrain being affected.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast