Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,270

    Spruce Mtn (X post 29er)

    For the birthday ride, took the big bike up, up, up, down,down, up, up, down, down, down. I got worked.












    The bike remains very satisfying, to the point of unbelievable. It descends like an anchor. Climbs deliberately, but I can get up anything I have the legs for.

    Have did not burp the front Nevegal tubeless at 28psi on the roughest trail I will take it on. Same with the Rampage rear at 32 psi.

    Unrelated mini review: First ride on Lake MX 165 shoes and they are really really nice. Fit great, no hot spots, and superb for hike-a-bike not that I would admit to doing such a thing
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: helimech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,763
    Nice Enel, 3 of us were up there on saturday on the 307 way. Man thats a grind. I heard you cleaned it, good job.
    JRA

  3. #3
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,270
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Nice Enel, 3 of us were up there on saturday on the 307 way. Man thats a grind. I heard you cleaned it, good job.
    Just to be clear, I can't come close to cleaning all of 307 in one shot, but I did clean the particular obstacle photographed in another post....then collapsed in exhaustion.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  4. #4
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Unrelated mini review: First ride on Lake MX 165 shoes and they are really really nice. Fit great, no hot spots, and superb for hike-a-bike not that I would admit to doing such a thing
    thread hijack alert: good news on the Lakes! got a pair of the mx190s set aside for Xmas - i went back and forth on those vs. the 165s since it was all mail-order, then wore them around the office for 2 days before deciding to keep em . did you find the stiffness compensated for the heavier shoes?

  5. #5
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,270
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    thread hijack alert: good news on the Lakes! got a pair of the mx190s set aside for Xmas - i went back and forth on those vs. the 165s since it was all mail-order, then wore them around the office for 2 days before deciding to keep em . did you find the stiffness compensated for the heavier shoes?
    They weren't a lot heavier than the Shimanos they replaced. Way more comfy. Mine were also mail order, and initially, they felt too big by about a 1/2 size, but on the ride it was really comfy. Of course, I was wearing my winter thick woolie socks which helped.

    I ditched the laces after trying one laced, and the other not. No difference. I also tried one with the supplied toe cleats, and one without and ended up not liking the cleats. Probably better in mud, but not great on rocks.

    Man were they comfortable to walk in.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  6. #6
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,034
    Cool pics, I remember that outhouse from my one and only trip up there a few years back.

    I've got the MX165's as well. Great shoes for riding and hike-a-biking. I ditched the laces quickly as well.

  7. #7
    .......................
    Reputation: ionsmuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Just to be clear, I can't come close to cleaning all of 307 in one shot, but I did clean the particular obstacle photographed in another post....then collapsed in exhaustion.
    Last time I rode 307 as a loop (and in that direction), I cleaned everything up and down but that section!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: helimech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    Last time I rode 307 as a loop (and in that direction), I cleaned everything up and down but that section!
    H_MO .
    I remember 1 time you didn't clean it coming down. A long time ago on a day called the prescitt monster cross. My group was heading down from the 2nd book spot and chollaball got a flat and the rest of us was waiting for him half way down. Well this guy with these drop bars is coming down the hill to a little saddle and he forgets to pull up and wham he's cleaning the ground. So Ya i guess you kinda did clean it coming down. Just messing dude . Will be in Bozeman on saturday.
    JRA

  9. #9
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,270
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    Last time I rode 307 as a loop (and in that direction), I cleaned everything up and down but that section!
    I just don't have anywhere near the fitness to climb at max HR for near an hour with bursts to get through the tech stuff like that. Strong work.

    This last time, I stopped within 100 yds of the top (I could SEE it), just to walk since I was so blown up. Simply mentally beat. Managed to have enough pride to walk the last 25 yds.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  10. #10
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    20,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    I just don't have anywhere near the fitness to climb at max HR for near an hour with bursts to get through the tech stuff like that. Strong work.

    This last time, I stopped within 100 yds of the top (I could SEE it), just to walk since I was so blown up. Simply mentally beat. Managed to have enough pride to walk the last 25 yds.
    You just need a Highline.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  11. #11
    .......................
    Reputation: ionsmuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,045
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    H_MO .
    I remember 1 time you didn't clean it coming down. A long time ago on a day called the prescitt monster cross. My group was heading down from the 2nd book spot and chollaball got a flat and the rest of us was waiting for him half way down. Well this guy with these drop bars is coming down the hill to a little saddle and he forgets to pull up and wham he's cleaning the ground. So Ya i guess you kinda did clean it coming down. Just messing dude . Will be in Bozeman on saturday.

    That was the worst trip down that trail ever for me. I was too distracted by watching you all dig around in pine needles.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •