Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Spruce Mtn, Prescott?

775 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Jayem 
#1 ·
It have been a few years since I have been up there. Can anyone tell me the name of the street that buts you on the FR to the lookout tower? How are trail conditions?

#2 ·
Senator Highway. Ride into town and take a left when you see it.

Rode Spruce Mtn. a few weeks back, clockwise. It's a pretty brutal climb in terms of steepness at times. Trail was bone dry at that time. Hard to corner anything at speed but it was fun. I'm sure some rains have come since I rode it. Should be primo.

EDIT: Never mind about Senator Hwy, thought you were looking for the TH off the road. You're gonna ride the FR up?

#5 ·
I did it two days ago as part of a bigger ride. The bottom of the 3.5 mile uphill trail is easier, not neary as crazy as it used to be. Basically the first nasty climb is all re-routed.

Due to the monsoon rain, the traction in the dirt is AMAZING. I cleaned Smith Ravine trail 297 the same day, but going up Spruce was a little trickier at the very top. Where there's dirt, it's like velcro.

Starting the 6 mile (lengthened due to re-routes) downhill, I noticed some sections were far worse. They have gotten much looser and nastier than previous, and that's saying something considering they were pretty loose before. This is not to say it's not worth it, but be prepared for some extremely loose sections. Baby heads? No, think at least teenager-heads. On the lower section it was kind of dissapointing at the end because they took at some of the flatter high speed sections and replaced them with lots of twisty stuff that makes it hard to get any speed. It was still good and a fun ride and I'd do it again, but you want wide tires for blasting down Spruce.

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.