mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Spruce Mtn, Prescott?

It have been a few years since I have been up there. Can anyone tell me the name of the street that buts you on the FR to the lookout tower? How are trail conditions?

EDR
    Senator Highway. Ride into town and take a left when you see it.

Rode Spruce Mtn. a few weeks back, clockwise. It's a pretty brutal climb in terms of steepness at times. Trail was bone dry at that time. Hard to corner anything at speed but it was fun. I'm sure some rains have come since I rode it. Should be primo.

EDIT: Never mind about Senator Hwy, thought you were looking for the TH off the road. You're gonna ride the FR up?

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo
    It have been a few years since I have been up there. Can anyone tell me the name of the street that buts you on the FR to the lookout tower? How are trail conditions?
    Spruce Mountain Road. There is a small sign.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks Enel. Yea taking the FR rode up. The trail up is a $#(%^!

Elitest thrill junkie
    I did it two days ago as part of a bigger ride. The bottom of the 3.5 mile uphill trail is easier, not neary as crazy as it used to be. Basically the first nasty climb is all re-routed.

Due to the monsoon rain, the traction in the dirt is AMAZING. I cleaned Smith Ravine trail 297 the same day, but going up Spruce was a little trickier at the very top. Where there's dirt, it's like velcro.

Starting the 6 mile (lengthened due to re-routes) downhill, I noticed some sections were far worse. They have gotten much looser and nastier than previous, and that's saying something considering they were pretty loose before. This is not to say it's not worth it, but be prepared for some extremely loose sections. Baby heads? No, think at least teenager-heads. On the lower section it was kind of dissapointing at the end because they took at some of the flatter high speed sections and replaced them with lots of twisty stuff that makes it hard to get any speed. It was still good and a fun ride and I'd do it again, but you want wide tires for blasting down Spruce.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks Jayem. An unexpected family emergency set ride back a week. Maybe will ride Cabin loop instead.

Explore More
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo
    Thanks Jayem. An unexpected family emergency set ride back a week. Maybe will ride Cabin loop instead.
    Don't have a lot of routes posted yet, but this may help.

Explore and Enjoy!

Dirty Pursuits

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertDog
    Don't have a lot of routes posted yet, but this may help.

Explore and Enjoy!

Dirty Pursuits
    This is the all-inclusive resource for Prescott. http://www.sharlot.org/archives/maps...aps/index.html
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.