Ride it like you stole it

New question here. A spring visit to Gold Canyon

I will be in the Gold Canyon area the week of the 12th and was hoping to have someone show me a trail or two. I am an advanced cross country rider.....able to do just about anything...

Thanks all!
    Matthew Fix
    Fort Collins, CO
    matt@flow-fire.com

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by FireSaddle
    I will be in the Gold Canyon area the week of the 12th and was hoping to have someone show me a trail or two. I am an advanced cross country rider.....able to do just about anything...

Thanks all!
    Matthew Fix
    Fort Collins, CO
    matt@flow-fire.com
    Aren't you in luck... we have an MTBR gathering starting March 14th with rides Wed thru Sun all over the state. Take a look at the AZSF07 sticky at the top of the page. For Phoenix rides, join us Wed, Fri, and/or Sunday. Good times ahead!

Thanks DurtGurl, I may just do that.....I'm not sure as to the timming as this is a "family" trip if ou know what I mean. I may just be able to get out in the mornings. So any sugestions?

Thanks

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by FireSaddle
    Thanks DurtGurl, I may just do that.....I'm not sure as to the timming as this is a "family" trip if ou know what I mean. I may just be able to get out in the mornings. So any sugestions?

Thanks
    The other sticky "Visitors read here first" should point you in the right direction.

Is there any riding around the Superstition Mountains? I cannot seem to get to the stickies.......All the shops I have talked to have no riding ideas for the "gold canyon area". would you send me a link? Thanks

Matt

Saucy Size Moderator
    1) No riding in the Superstition Mountains. It's mostly designated Wilderness. The parts that are rideable are kind of far away from you.

2) The "VISITORS READ HERE FIRST" thread is one of the first three at the top of the AZ Forum.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

parenting for gnarness
    yeah I was wondering if by Gold Canyon you meant Apache Junction\south east mesa?

There is a bunch of new stuff out that way, but I dont know what it is. A buddy of mine is leading a big ride there this weekend, but alas I have baby-duty.

I know there is a trail that runs along the front side of the Sups, from like Peralta trailhead area to the start of the Dacite superloop. I've hiked it a few years ago, dont know what its current condition is.

The closest ride I know to AJ is called Bulldog Canyon, its a jeep road that climbs up through the Goldfield mtns. You would be close to the top of it, which is kinda bad its better doing the climb first. I only know how to get there from jeep roads starting at the bottom. Take Usery Pass Rd (Ellsworth) all the way north til Bush Highway. Just before the Blue Point Bridge on the south side is a little pullout with a gate. Usually some horse traffic. Hop on and climb for 9 miles, the top is at a radio tower overlooking the whole Valley.

There is also Pass Mtn, at Usery Park.

Road riding out towards Canyon Lake and up to Tortilla Flats is great.

If you cant find good riding, hiking the Sups is awesome. Flatiron is my fav, its 2.5 miles\2500 feet up. there is also Peralta Trail, Cave Trail, and many others you can find online.

Thanks for all the info everybody! If anybody is into a ride let me know!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just a note of caution:
    A Forest Service OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) pass is required to ride Bulldog Canyon Rd. If you don't have one, you definitely don't want to get caught.

The passes are free and good for 6 months, but the closest place to get one is in E Mesa on Ingram St. Ingram is 1/8 mi south of McKellips on Higley Rd, the FS office is just only a block or so west of Higley on Ingram.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by KidAtHeartBiker
    Just a note of caution:
    A Forest Service OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) pass is required to ride Bulldog Canyon Rd. If you don't have one, you definitely don't want to get caught.

The passes are free and good for 6 months, but the closest place to get one is in E Mesa on Ingram St. Ingram is 1/8 mi south of McKellips on Higley Rd, the FS office is just only a block or so west of Higley on Ingram.
    you need a pass even for a bike? interesting...I'll have to check it out. I've ridden that trail 20 times over the last 5 years and never seen a ranger or had anyone ask -- never occurred to me that it would be an issue. Thanks for the tip.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I agree you seldom see a ranger out there, but in the short time I've had a pass I HAVE seen a ranger once on the trail and a few times right outside the gates. Oh yeah, they WILL be out there at least on the first of every month because they change the combinations on the gate locks.

The passes are not "vehicle" passes as much as "individual" passes. If you get one pass it is for yourself only. If you take four buddies along in your vehicle (obviously if you aren't bking), even if you stay in the vehicle, technically each and every one of them must have a pass.

When you get your pass, you can name 5-6 others and the FS will give you the main pass for you plus one for each of the others, so they don't have to show up at the FS station to get a pass. But... if you get them a "sub-pass" like that, they must be with you in the OHV area and if they get caught doing something wrong YOU lose YOUR pass and the rest for a year to five years.

If you want more info, check out the Forest Service web site for Tonto and check out the OHV permit section.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    1) No riding in the Superstition Mountains. It's mostly designated Wilderness. The parts that are rideable are kind of far away from you.

2) The "VISITORS READ HERE FIRST" thread is one of the first three at the top of the AZ Forum.

p.
    Really? I did a hike on the PetroglyphTrail during Thanksgiving, and during the hike, was passed by a couple riders.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

parenting for gnarness
    just checked with the Rangers, and you don't need permits for an mtb. Good to clarify, thanks KidAtHeart.

If anyone wants to try a new ride, BD Canyon is fun change-of-pace esp. on weekdays or early weekends before the jeeprs. Its a killer training ride, as the terrain has lots of loose stuff that the jeeps kick up -- good aerobic and bike handling challenges. The long route through the canyons, the view at the end, and the downhill make it worthwhile. Its about ~1.15 up, then ~1 hr down. I plan to do it soon as I ramp up training for the Whiskey Offroad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It's a bit disconcerting to hear such a difference from a ranger no less. When I was in the Forest Service office I was told ANYONE in that area required a permit. Plus I have the papers here with all the "rules" and it sure looks like a permit is needed.

Whatever... Anyway, since it's free I'll still renew my permit when it's up because I do drive on the road... and of course to get past the gates with a 4Runner it sure helps to have the combination to unlock the gate. My 4Runner may have good ground clearance... just not enough to jump a gate.