Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Black and Sticky

Spectacular Day in MMP/MSP

Made the ride up to Windgate pass via Pemberton, Dixie Mine, etc. Very beautiful day for that ride. Here's some pics looking east and west from Windgate Pass plus a shot of the area around the old windmill showing some fall color. One discouraging thing was there had been some kind of horse event in MMP and those folks left a lot of trash pinned to the vegetation. Check out the photo taken at the intersection of Dixie Mine and Coachwhip, lots of paper plates and vinyl tape. Saw a lot of that on Pemberton also. Not trying to bash on the horse folks, hopefully they swept the area and cleaned up all that stuff. But overall a very spectacular day.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

I am Walt
    Nice ride and pics, Bob...I was up there today also - did Windgate from the west, then over Prospector to Bell and down Bell. Super day and trail conditions!

Walt
    Ride more; post less...

im4Gsus
    nice pics, bituman.
    perhaps one of these days you could be the guide for a c-ride out there? i've gone down to the dixie mine (down and back the same way) but never done coach whip, windgate or any other in there. do you think those trails are "c-friendly"?
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

Black and Sticky
    Thanks Kaboose and Walt. Kaboose, unlike our Turkey Day ride, this time I remembered to charge my camera battery!

Yes, I believe Windgate Pass can be a C-ride, especially when approached from the east. After all I made it up there! I have also done Windgate from the west and that's a tougher climb in my opinion. Maybe Walt or U2METOO can comment on that because they post a lot about those trails. From the Pemberton staging area up to Windgate Pass is just over 9 miles and I would estimate that 95%+ of the trail is C-ride stuff. There was maybe 1/8 mile of hike-a-bike for an average C-rider. The most challenging sections are in the last mile or so of Windgate trail just east of the pass. Probably my imagination, but I think that area also has the steepest grade. But Coachwhip and Windmill are a lot like Dixie Mine, just long, mostly modest uphill grades, very rideable but requiring some aerobic fitness.

Anyway I think most of us junior varsity types can grind our way up to Windgate Pass. If anybody is interested, then maybe we can schedule something over the holidays.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Hi Bituman,

I'm down for a holiday ride if you wouldn't
    mind showing us c-riders windgate and dixie mine
    trails. Post up if you have time. I look foward to
    riding with you and the group again. I promise to
    bring my camera memory card this time.

Thanks

Rod
    What if you get scared half to death?.......Twice

Black and Sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by DOUMTB
    Hi Bituman,

I'm down for a holiday ride if you wouldn't
    mind showing us c-riders windgate and dixie mine
    trails. Post up if you have time. I look foward to
    riding with you and the group again. I promise to
    bring my camera memory card this time.

Thanks

Rod
    Sounds good Rod, let's post up later in December to get something going. Start thinking about a date preference.

Bob

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Bituman
    Yes, I believe Windgate Pass can be a C-ride, especially when approached from the east. After all I made it up there! I have also done Windgate from the west and that's a tougher climb in my opinion. Maybe Walt or U2METOO can comment on that because they post a lot about those trails. From the Pemberton staging area up to Windgate Pass is just over 9 miles and I would estimate that 95%+ of the trail is C-ride stuff. There was maybe 1/8 mile of hike-a-bike for an average C-rider. The most challenging sections are in the last mile or so of Windgate trail just east of the pass. Probably my imagination, but I think that area also has the steepest grade. But Coachwhip and Windmill are a lot like Dixie Mine, just long, mostly modest uphill grades, very rideable but requiring some aerobic fitness.

Anyway I think most of us junior varsity types can grind our way up to Windgate Pass. If anybody is interested, then maybe we can schedule something over the holidays.
    Yeah, it can be a C-ride from the east as it's not as long and the grades aren't as steep. But I believe it will be a very challenging C-ride, as the climb past the juncture with Prospector has some sustained steep loose sections, with some real grunts out of a couple washes. But if you take your time, walk what you can't clean and simply persevere, you can do it. When you flip it for the downhill, just take your time and be careful as there are a couple gotchas if you're not paying attention, or mess up a line.

Bring an oil can for the top of Windgate Pass as a reward for getting there, and you will def flow the downhill...
    Ride more; post less...

Black and Sticky

Thanks Walt Good Advice

Although I haven't taken the time to check it out, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the Pemberton staging area is higher elevation than, say Basha's parking lot. And I think that route starting at Basha's is shorter to Windgate. Thus more elevation change plus shorter distance equals larger grade which probably explains why I darn near cooked myself going up Windgate a few weeks ago from Basha's.

You mentioned Prospector but I didn't ride that from the east. My route was Pemberton, Dixie Mine, Coachwhip, Windmill, and Windgate. But I did cross the Bell Pass Trail, which would have lead to Prospector. From a C perspective, what is Bell Pass trail like from intersection of Windmill/Bell Pass/Windgate trails? I think Bell Pass is next up for me. Thanks much Walt.

Bob

(Hey speaking of your avatar, for a while it was looking like your Utes were coming to Fiesta Bowl to play my Longhorns, but it looks like Utah is going to Sugar Bowl? Can't believe it, but that leaves Ohio St. to play Texas in Fiesta Bowl. Crapped up system! I live right on Fiesta Bowl parade route so at least I get to see the Longhorn band march up Central.)

mtbr member
    (Hey speaking of your avatar, for a while it was looking like your Utes were coming to Fiesta Bowl to play my Longhorns, but it looks like Utah is going to Sugar Bowl? Can't believe it, but that leaves Ohio St. to play Texas in Fiesta Bowl. Crapped up system! I live right on Fiesta Bowl parade route so at least I get to see the Longhorn band march up Central.)[/QUOTE]

Ohio State shouldn't even get an at large bid this year. The highest BCS ranked team that they defeated was either Northwestern (#22) or Michigan State (#21). Boise State, remained undefeated, and managed to throttle an Oregon team that is ranked #19. Boise will get the shaft when they rightfully deserve the spot at either the Fiesta or the Sugar Bowls. Ohio State will get the spot, not because they deserve it, but because of the power of the almighty dollar, and the fact that there are more Suckeye fans out there than roaches in the New York sewers. I do not like the BCS, it is too much about where you play, than how well you play, and it is waaay to biased. Ohio State starts every season overated and overhyped, and the bowl decision makers know they will fill the seats will Suckeye fans. Go Boise.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

Black and Sticky
    Ohio State shouldn't even get an at large bid this year. The highest BCS ranked team that they defeated was either Northwestern (#22) or Michigan State (#21). Boise State, remained undefeated, and managed to throttle an Oregon team that is ranked #19. Boise will get the shaft when they rightfully deserve the spot at either the Fiesta or the Sugar Bowls. Ohio State will get the spot, not because they deserve it, but because of the power of the almighty dollar, and the fact that there are more Suckeye fans out there than roaches in the New York sewers. I do not like the BCS, it is too much about where you play, than how well you play, and it is waaay to biased. Ohio State starts every season overated and overhyped, and the bowl decision makers know they will fill the seats will Suckeye fans. Go Boise.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you on both counts. Boise should be going to BCS Bowl and OSU shouldn't be going. But a couple of years ago when OSU played Texas in Austin, OSU fans rented UT's arena to watch the game on big screen. That's why OSU gets invited so much. Actually this site (cfn.scout.com/2/557866.htm) seems to think that Utah is going to Fiesta and OSU to Sugar. That site projects that Boise is going to Poinsetta Bowl? Interesting year that Utah, Boise, and Ball all go undefeated and Pac-10, Big 12, and Big 10 can't fill out their bowl teams. And of course, Notre Dame is projected to go to the Texas Bowl. And so it goes...

Bob

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by Bituman
    Thanks Kaboose and Walt. Kaboose, unlike our Turkey Day ride, this time I remembered to charge my camera battery!

maybe we can schedule something over the holidays.

Bob
    hi bob
    i'm definitely game for starting from pemberton cw to dixie mine. from there, let's choose the "easiest" route. i know many of the peeps who came to my c-ride are more than c-riders - i'm not. i can't do steep downhills with sketchy, loose stuff and wicked switchbacks. but i can ride for 18+ miles.

you mentioned sometime in december. maybe one of us can later post it for...the 20th or 27th?

Black and Sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    hi bob
    i'm definitely game for starting from pemberton cw to dixie mine. from there, let's choose the "easiest" route. i know many of the peeps who came to my c-ride are more than c-riders - i'm not. i can't do steep downhills with sketchy, loose stuff and wicked switchbacks. but i can ride for 18+ miles.

you mentioned sometime in december. maybe one of us can later post it for...the 20th or 27th?
    Hi Kaboose, What we will do is make a rule for this ride, everyone rides in their best C-mode! We take some rest breaks, a few hike a bikes where necessary, and have lots of fun. 20th or 27th both are okay, so let's just post up and see what kind of interest we get.

Bob

livin' the dream......
    I might be able to do the 20th. I'll keep my eyes posted for plans..............thx

mtbr member
    HI Bituman and Kaboose,

I would like to ride with you guys on the 20th or 27th
    preferably the 20th. Let us know which you decide.

Looking forward to it already.

Thanks for posting up.

Rod
    What if you get scared half to death?.......Twice

im4Gsus
    does anyone have a map that shows pemberton, dixie mine, coachwhip and where windmill and windgate are? i think i've seen some but they start from the 124th st entrance and do not include pemberton.

Black and Sticky

MSP Interactive Map

Try this for the McDowell Sonoran Preserve: http://mcdowellsonoran.org/map.html

mtbr member
    Hey guys,

I haven't ridden with any of you before, but am very interested in tagging along for this ride if it's ok. I've wanted ride Windgate quite a while, but don't know anyone who's done it that could show me the way. So if you don't mind me joining.......I'd love to tag along!

Steven

mtbr member
    Attached map of Pemberton, Dixie Mine, Coachwhip, Windgate, Bell and Prospector. The easiest route from Pemberton is DM to Coachwhip, right on Coachwhip to the junction of Windgate and Bell, left on Bell up to Prospector, down to the tower service road, continue past the first Dixie mine trail sign on the right, through the wash and past the mine. From the mine take the Dixie mine trail to the left off of the service road and follow it back to Pemberton.

From the Pemberton TH clockwise to Dixie Mine and follow the route that I described it is about 16 miles. Adding the full Pemberton loop when you return will add another 12-13 miles. There are some good sustained climbs but nothing scetchy or too loose. There are some fun fast section on the return.

mtbr member
    oops - wrong map. Here is the one that I meant to attach.

Black and Sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by dirthead
    Hey guys,

I haven't ridden with any of you before, but am very interested in tagging along for this ride if it's ok. I've wanted ride Windgate quite a while, but don't know anyone who's done it that could show me the way. So if you don't mind me joining.......I'd love to tag along!

Steven
    Steven,
    That would be great to have you join the group. Kaboose is our leader and will post up the final date and time.

Bob

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_AlanS
    oops - wrong map. Here is the one that I meant to attach.
    thanks, alan, for posting the maps.

both bituman and kevinb made a good suggestion for c-riders: to go to bell/windmill junction and turn around, or maybe to the windgate saddle and back. i like that idea for the first ride out there.

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by dirthead
    Hey guys,

Steven
    dirthead
    (this might be a double post )
    the rides posted here are an open invite for everyone.

i'm going to post a thread for the 20th around the 16th or 17th. look fwd to meeting you.

Everyone Bleeds!

Good job! Ms. "K"

Where are you going to be riding on the 20th. I might be able to make it, but I have to know in advance.

BTW......... Arkansas was cold and very wet. Woke up Wednesday to have ice all over the rental car. I was miserable. I have cold AND wet!
    Everyday of my life, I'm forced to add another name to the list of people that piss me off!

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmedMonk
    Where are you going to be riding on the 20th. I might be able to make it, but I have to know in advance.

BTW......... Arkansas was cold and very wet. Woke up Wednesday to have ice all over the rental car. I was miserable. I have cold AND wet!
    AM, the ride will be at MMP. the route is not established in stone yet, but parts of pemberton and dixie mine will be ridden. i'll post the ride on the 16th or 17th. maybe juan can find a sitter and come too. it will be a looooooooong day though.

wet in arkansas? what's "wet"?

Combining Old and Bold
    I'm new to the forum but ride these trails every week. I think I've figured what it means, but I'm curious what "C-ride" stands for.....

For those of you familiar with the Ftn Hills side, does anyone have a detailed map showing how to get from Sunrise trailhead to the start of the Dixie Mine trail? I've done it once before, but picked a route that had too much pavement and missed all of DMT to the south of the Thompson Peak road.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast