Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

South Mountain questions

I am coming down from Flag this weekend to ride South Mountain for the first time, did a bit of research on the trails there, dug up a map on city of Phoenix website and have a loop picked out. I want to start at the Beverly Canyon trailhead, do Beverly to Pima to National to Geronimo, hook over to Mormon then back down Javelina to the Beverly Trailhead. My questions are... is there a different/better way to do this loop and how much hiker congestion is typical on these trails (probably gonna be riding mid morning on Friday)? I know there will probably be a lot more folks closer to the trailhead but I hope its not like Thunderbird Park which I made the mistake of trying to ride at 10 AM on a friday, way too many hikers there. Definitely looking forward to seeing what South Mountain is all about.

P.S. Don't be afraid to chime in if my loop choice totally sucks and there is a better one out there. I am open to any suggestions
    Last edited by 87runner; 03-28-2012 at 10:32 AM.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Was out there today from 9-11ish on Geronimo and National. There were a few hikers here and there, but they were nice about moving over.

What kind of bike are you riding on?
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Pivotal figure
    Be forewarned that the climb up Mormon from the 24th Street TH is pretty intense. Think gnarly trials riding and you'll be close...Not that it's impossible but if you're hoping for a quick spin back up it'll crush those dreams (I happen to like the loop you're doing, great mix of everything...)
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

vmb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

For a first timer

Based on your start time, I don't think traffic is going to be an issue regardless of the trail or route.

It's already starting to get warm here in the valley, so I would suggest starting at Pima Wash and just doing an out and back on National (more techie) or Mormon to National (less techie) as an out an back. There's no need to do a loop. Even though these are an out and back, the experience is totally different.

Based on your proposed route, even for hard core locals, it's getting too warm to really enjoy the climb up Mormon from 24th street. That is my all time favorite climb, but with heat, it isn't going to be as much fun....

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I don't understand fully your proposed route. Starting at Pima is normal, then riding up the fire road. Your plan is to ride up National to Buena Vista and then take Geronimo down? Is your plan then to ride UP 24th St to get back to Mormon?

That's a tough ride.

A more "normal" first-time route would be to climb Mormon from the fire road, hit the National connection and keep climbing as long as you desire. Then turn around and come back down National all the way to the fire road.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I don't understand fully your proposed route. Starting at Pima is normal, then riding up the fire road. Your plan is to ride up National to Buena Vista and then take Geronimo down? Is your plan then to ride UP 24th St to get back to Mormon?

That's a tough ride.
    Yes and yes. I am riding a Specialized FSR Comp, little weak in the suspension dept but I don't plan on doing any gnarly drops with it so hopefully it should be alright. I know you guys have plenty of rock which I am prepared for. That climb up Mormon did look pretty steep on the topo (720 feet in 1.1 miles). Sounds like based on what you guys are saying could be brutal with the 90 degree temps they are calling for on Friday. I guess the main idea behind my loop was that Geronimo looks like a pretty rad downhill trail so I was hoping to squeeze that into my ride as opposed to doing an out and back trip up to Buena Vista. Guess I could go down Geronimo and back up to Buena Vista, then down national to Mormon Loop to Javelina. Or... anyone else agree that I should just keep climbing national and then head back when so desired?

Thanks for all the input guys. Even though its gonna be a bit toasty I'm pretty excited about this ride

Pivotal figure
    The ride from Geronimo back to BV is also pretty tough. You could just ride Nat'l out as far as you like (past BV) then come back and head down Geronimo and take the road/canal path back to the car...

Give it a crank
    It's a nice way to make a loop ride that includes Geronimo. The climb up 24 St. is the problem but the only other choice would be to ride the streets back to the trailhead. Also, It's better to go up Javelina which puts you right on Mormon Trail. I don't ride SoMo on weekends because there's way too many hikers everywhere, weekdays are awesome though.

I did a loop last month pretty close to the one you mentioned and really liked it. It took us quite a bit of hike-a-bike back up Mormon from 24th St. but it was just part of the fun. Here's the track log.

EDR
    If you drop down Geronimo and ride up 24th you'll miss a lot of fun coming down National. I think you would have an overall much better time heading up Mormon (or up National if you want a more techie climb), catch National and ride to BV lot. Turn around and enjoy the 4.5 miles back to Pima. It's not all d/h, lots of pedaling still, but tons of fun. That way you'll get a good 40 minute ride back down rather than a a brutal push up 24th in 90 degree heat.

I love bike!
    For your first time sampling SoMo I would have to vote for the out and back on Natty. Prob my favorite all around ride in the valley as you get a bit of everything. The G-mo DH and climb up 24th are also tough to beat tho IMO. Although I'd save the G-mo DH for a shuttle day since it's so fast and save the climb up 24th/Mormon for a ride that you will descend back down as it's an awesome DH as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Im not a fan of climbing back up 24th street after coming down Geronimo. I'd say up Javalina to Natty and back down Natty would be your best bet. Have fun. South Mountain is loved by a lot of us.

Shred...it's the new drug
    Dude...I ride somo all the time. That's a killer loop to get your feet wet on. You pretty much get to see all the goods. Don't let these guys scare you off of 24th st. It really only take's 30-45 minutes to hike up that thing...less if you can ride some of it. I say go for it! Smile at the hikers and bomb the DH!

pedaller
    I'd second the idea to climb up Javelina vs Beverly Canyon/Pima. I love Javelina in both directions and it has A LOT less pedestrian traffic and fire road.

You can still hook up the loop from there.

Enjoy our backyard!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Huffy Rider
    Another suggestion to add a little more DH fun....start up Javelina from 46th....up Mormon...up Natty to BV parking lot....stay on Natty to the Telegraph trail intersection, turn right up the paved road and ride back up to BV parking lot. Ride Natty all the way to the bottom...hop over to Javelina for a DH back to your car. I did this last Tues and it was a hoot. Start early and have fun!

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    Another suggestion to add a little more DH fun....start up Javelina from 46th....up Mormon...up Natty to BV parking lot....stay on Natty to the Telegraph trail intersection, turn right up the paved road and ride back up to BV parking lot. Ride Natty all the way to the bottom...hop over to Javelina for a DH back to your car. I did this last Tues and it was a hoot. Start early and have fun!
    That's a good ride, especially for out of towners not acclimated to the heat, with the option to just bail at the bottom of Natty if need be.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    You desert rats sure are helpful, so based on what everyone has said I'm gonna switch a few things up. Up Javelina,Mormon, National, to BV, down Geronimo, back up Geronimo, Down National, Mormon, (Possibly Ridgeline to Bev) or down Javelina.

I really want to fit Geronimo in, just looks too good to pass up, even on a 90 degree day and sounds like National down is also too good to pass on. Thanks for all the help guys ( and gals) if you are ever in the Flagstaff area and need some directional advice feel free to hit me up. Cheers!

Not a Barry supporter.
    My Sedona trip for tomorrow got cancelled due to a death in the family. That means I'll be at SoMo tomorrow morning about 8:30. So if you see a dude on a green Spearfish,say hey.

Although I'm just gonna ride Natty until I feel like coming back. Motochick's (who was going to show me around Sedona) route is probably what I'll go with. Although I really like Telegraph, I don't want to take the FS geary on DC...that's for the SS.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

I love bike!
    Wow! Back up G-mo would be an impressive ride if you put all that together. I'd like to hear how that turned out.

+2 on motochick's suggestion if you decide on a backup plan.

Kathleen in AZ
    Here's a suggestion... Do Motochick's loop in the morning (it's a good one!). Go have a nice lunch at Las Taquitos by the Safeway on teh SW corner of Elliot and 48th St, and rest for a while. Then head to Scorpion Gulch via the Central Ave entrance at 2PM and hook up with the Gnar Gnar van for their Fri afternoon shuttles and experience Geronimo, Holbert, Mormon/24th, etc in the FUN direction - DOWN! Count on about an hour between runs, wear your armor, and bring cash to give the shuttle driver. $5 per run is suggested and full-on DH gear is absolutely not required.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    Here's a suggestion... Do Motochick's loop in the morning (it's a good one!). Go have a nice lunch at Las Taquitos by the Safeway on teh SW corner of Elliot and 48th St, and rest for a while. Then head to Scorpion Gulch via the Central Ave entrance at 2PM and hook up with the Gnar Gnar van for their Fri afternoon shuttles and experience Geronimo, Holbert, Mormon/24th, etc in the FUN direction - DOWN! Count on about an hour between runs, wear your armor, and bring cash to give the shuttle driver. $5 per run is suggested and full-on DH gear is absolutely not required.
    That's a good point, assuming there's time the best way to ride SoMo is with Gnar Gnar!
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    That's a good point, assuming there's time the best way to ride SoMo is with Gnar Gnar!
    JerryMo IS fun, and its not big-bike required. but, its mostly all uphill to get there, and its over in like 10 min. To ride even to 24th street from there is 5 min of street, to get back to Pima Canyon is ~30 min of moderatre trail or crowded street. Up Geronimo sucks - 45 min with a lot of pushing. Up 24th is only about 25 min, half ridable (more by some...). 24th Street is way more fun than Geronimo imo, but its is also a bit gnarlier.

up 24th, up National to BV, down National to Pima Canyon, up Mormon to 24th, back down 24th FTW. or, park at 24th, go up it, down National, back up National to Geronimo and down Geronimo. not as good but still fun.

Huffy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    DO THIS! And the food is awesome, I can attest to that. You really want to see the lines on Geronimo for your first ride down. Also, ride Natty all the way down, not Mormon, Mormon is boring. If you can handle all of the "morning ride" sight unseen, then you are ready for Geronimo and 24th, this is best done by using the Gnar shuttle. If I didn't have to work tomorrow nite, I would be all over this!

Brenda

dirt visionary
    prehydrate...temps are on and boy I felt it today out there.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wait till Sunday, 15 degrees cooler.
    agmtb

Pivotal figure
    Mormon's only boring if you're going slow

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast