Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

South Mountain Missing Person

BMX"er from Phoenix & Preoria area missing for the last week. Family, friends and coworkers have not seen him. Brian Histand is a known BMX rider and has spent time hiking South Mountain & other area trails. Some of you may be familiar with him and seen some of his videos or coverage in BMX magazines.

Please spread the word about him. He is profoundly missed.

Phoenix detectives are investigating. Contact Det. Jack Nielsen
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by trekmike; 05-20-2013 at 09:10 PM. Reason: update

mtbr member

Photo

Brian works for Pennyroyal Promotions and frequented Crossroads Books & Coffee near 91st & Olive. His car was towed last Friday from 9800 south 35th Av. near an alfalfa field. He also started going to Harvest Church. He also may have been interested in the Refuge that does bike trips every May.

If you have any information please call Sergeant Vasquez 602-495-5003; or Detective Jack Nielsen 602-262-7351.

see photo in first post
    Last edited by trekmike; 05-21-2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: note

mtbr member
    Brian was last seen walking south on S. 35th Av toward the desert last Wednesday May 15th. Police towed the car on the 17th.

Any hikers or bikers in the area?
    Last edited by trekmike; 05-22-2013 at 01:41 PM. Reason: correction

mtbr member

Will be riding from out west down Dobbins to the park Sunday. Also will probably do San Juan To the lookout by 35th. Will keep eyes peeled.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Has anyone searched the SoMo trails in the area? Alta is one of the more common trails out that way. Hope Brian H shows back up alive and well. That dude has some serious talent on a bicycle: BRIAN HISTAND on Vimeo

mtbr member
    No news on this still?
    It seems that South Mountain isn't that big of an area, and it is exposed to where the cops could get a pretty good idea of if he is there or not just from a helicopter search. I assume they've done that??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by markphx View Post
    Has anyone searched the SoMo trails in the area? Alta is one of the more common trails out that way. Hope Brian H shows back up alive and well. That dude has some serious talent on a bicycle: BRIAN HISTAND on Vimeo
    Wow! that was so much more awesome than I was anticipating!
    So a guy like that, with his bike at South Mountain, isn't like a regular dude riding the trails, he was probably looking for cliffs and huge rocks to throw himself off. Not good. Maybe.

And note that in the above video he isn't wearing a helmet for any of those stunts.

Edit: I assumed he was known to be riding at South Mountain, but now I see that no one knows if he was even at South Mountain. He was just seen in the area.

His car keys were found in an open field but the cops don't suspect foul play? Sounds odd.

Phoenix police investigating the disappearance of 25-year-old Brian Histand

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    So a guy like that, with his bike at South Mountain, isn't like a regular dude riding the trails, he was probably looking for cliffs and huge rocks to throw himself off. Not good. Maybe.
    I don't think he's an MTBer (not to say he isn't capable; it's clearly obvious from that video short that the dude has serious talent). I'm pretty sure he only hikes at SoMo. Guy is an awesome rider with an abundance of talent and I sure do hope the dude shows up alive and well soon.

Here's another older, but just as awesome video short of Brian H: Brian Histand Yo Guy! on Vimeo

aka Diesel
    So they towed his car, and found his keys in open field, he's unfamiliar with the area... but Phx police don't suspect foul play?
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

mtbr member
    Thank you guys for caring. I appreciate all of you checking the areas and the trails. Those videos are classic for sure. Brian started mt biking with me years ago and morphed into BMX and developed great skill. Amazing stuff especially the end where he goes over the stone wall at the college

I plan to be in the Phoenix (from Pennsylvania) Sunday afternoon to conduct some interviews and meet with detective Nielsen. Brian's BMX bike is in his car.

Thank you my friends...

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Prayers from here back in Pa.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post

And note that in the above video he isn't wearing a helmet for any of those stunts.

Edit: I assumed he was known to be riding at South Mountain, but now I see that no one knows if he was even at South Mountain. He was just seen in the area.

His car keys were found in an open field but the cops don't suspect foul play? Sounds odd.

Phoenix police investigating the disappearance of 25-year-old Brian Histand

if you look at google maps, just across from where his vehicle was found/towed is some open desert with what appears to be bmx-like trails... It is NOT part of the south mountain trail system...

I am not speculating anything, but I just thought it is good information..
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member

Brian Histand

I saw that. Wondered if it was ATV trails. Brian's bike was locked inside his car as he walked away.

Brian hiked South Mountain. He did not take his bmx bike up there.
    Last edited by trekmike; 05-25-2013 at 07:28 PM. Reason: clarify

mtbr member

My prayers are with you guys.

I was riding this morning up on the east Laveen Trail in that area and bumped into trekmike doing some recon up on the mountain at the end of 35th Avenue looking for his son Brian. Talk about being in the right place at the right time. I ride that area pretty much every other day and I ride Carver Mountain as well which is very near where he was last seen. I'll keep a look out for him and if you guys are riding in the area please keep a look out as well. Mike mentioned that he might have been wearing brown colors and was in shorts last time he was seen. I couldn't believe the story when I hear it this morning and I'll be searching throughout the area over the next couple of weeks to see if I can spot anything suspicious.

Mike it was great to meet you this morning. I sure hope you find Brian soon!

One more thing. I just thought about the first time I hiked the Alta Trail or tried to hike the Alta Trail. From the east Laveen trail there is a split off before you get to San Juan Road which is where the Alta Trail starts. The alternate trail somewhat dead ends but you can find your way up to the top of the Alta Trail along the north side of the Alta Canyon (Alta Trail runs on the south side so the north side is very rarely traveled). You can see the canyon on Google maps. That stretch of trail or mountain I should say is very hairy and there really isn't a trail there at all after a while. You have to do some rock climbing to get to the top and it took us an extra hour to get to the top because we didn't take the dedicated trail. I remember seeing a camp site up there like somebody may have been living up there for a while but that was quite a while back, maybe a year ago or more. If he went that way not knowing the area he could have easily got himself into trouble.

mtbr member
    Hi Mike. I did some posting on our church facebook page and our Laveen community page. Links are below. I hope you guys find him soon. My prayers are with you guys.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Lave...unity/?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/crosswalkphx?fref=ts

mtbr member

Might there be any organized search/west end hike out on the Alta trail/surrounding area this weekend?

mtbr member
    This is a good update:
    Missing: Brian Histand

At 35 seconds into it they show a picture someone took of him sitting in the dirt on the side of the road. Wierd. And, they said a cop saw him in a field naked right before he disappeared but let him go. Very wierd.

mtbr member

Brian Histand is still missing

Hi everyone!

I have been very busy since arriving in Phoenix. This city sucks folks, especially the police department. Continuous mistakes and dismissive attitude across the board except for a few patrol officers. I met 12 officers from the gang enforcement unit last week and noticed that they were interested and concerned. Thanks guys!! Differnet story for the detective in missing persons bureau. Yep... the missing persons bureau.

Most recent information is Brian may be in the area of Dobbins between 19th and 43Av. Corroborated information between personal interviews of citizens and professional dogs used by AZ Search, Track & Rescue. The search & rescue groups (there are two), worked many hours including Coonhounds, Blood Hounds and Labradors from 2000-0530 hrs Saturday and Sunday night. Another great group conducted a search & rescue operation last Saturday morning from 0630-1430 hrs. Many thanks to all! Thank you, thank you...

Last apparent sighting is in the area on Dobbins between 19th & 27th Av. last Thursday. I cannot stay here indefinitely and I am afraid of loosing the opportunity to have a conversation with Brian if found so I can take him home and help him. A quandry itself that adds to the stress overall.

For now, I appears I am going home soon without Brian.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Mike, my heart goes out to you.

I simply can't imagine what you are going through.

Good luck.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Mike.

He's liucky to have a friend like you, your doing all you can, he will show up!

Meatbomb
    Sounds like he may not want to be found.

mtbr member
    Yes he certainly is my friend; also my son.

Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Mike.

He's liucky to have a friend like you, your doing all you can, he will show up!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by trekmike View Post
    Yes he certainly is my friend; also my son.
    Oh my god Mike, I'm not religious but my thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope your son is safe and sound. He is one hell of a bike rider, you must be very proud. The kid goes BIG.

aka Diesel

I suppose given the alternatives, that in one sense, no news is good news... .

Maybe with enough continued media exposure, he will be found.

My husband was dealing with the police over a different situation, and where they dragged their feet, channel 12 news sure didn't. They came over to interview him, aired his complaints that night, and whatdayaknow, the department sprang into action the next day. Use the media as much as you can.
    As a mother, my heart goes out to you and I pray for a positive outcome in all of this. Please hang in there.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

I love bike!
    I really hope you find your son, Mike. Thoughts and prayers. As a dad myself I can't imagine the heartache this is causing you and your family.

I just don't understand the whole part about the police finding him out in the middle of a field in his birthday suit and just letting him go. That behavior isn't normal and maybe the cops should have locked him up for at least a little while until a professional was able to get him checked out...sounds like they just let him go. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the story here but the police involvement in this whole thing seems quite a bit off.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast