Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Just A Mountain Biker.
    Reputation: blaklabl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    482

    Soul Cycles - Still Reputable?

    I hate to ask/start a thread like this, but sometimes it's needed to flesh out problems before they get going -

    In my never ending quest to find that second bike to build up, I remembered that Soul Cycles makes the Hooligan and the price is pretty right since I have everything I need (pretty much) to build a bike right now sans frame/fork.

    Contacted them today, and was surprised that even though they are local I cannot come see/purchase one, and I thought you used to be able to. Reasoning is that they "used to get broken into a lot when they were in Tempe", and have since decided people can't come by like its a secret location. Even offered to sell me a blem paint model at a discount, but again I can't see it to know how blemished it might be. Their new location is clearly visible on the website, so it's not really a secret...

    I saw their only shop in AZ is listed as Cactus Bikes Awatukhee, and I remember reading a bunch about how those guys packed up and left in the middle of the night, so I don't know if it's the same group of people (like Fetish Cycles & Airpark Bikes).

    Any input or experiences would be appreciated, thanks. Not looking for something high-zoot, but not wanting to make a mistake either.




  2. #2
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,564
    Not familiar but with what you described, I'd shy way away from them!!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Eazy_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,406
    Yeah....

    That sounds dodgy. What do they offer that nobody else does?

  4. #4
    Just A Mountain Biker.
    Reputation: blaklabl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    482
    A 29"er ss/geared frame for an attractive price..they used to get really great reviews, I am not bashing them at all just a little strange. I am awaiting pictures of the blemished frame so we will see. I just want a $300-ish frame so I have some extra $'s left for a decent fork and some wheels. I literally have everything else I need.




  5. #5
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,999
    Soul is legit.

  6. #6
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,564
    Then why not show their product?

  7. #7
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,598
    Grave9 bought his Dillinger SS29er direct from them a couple years back. Nice frame. I guess they're policies have changed since that time. Seems a little weird.

  8. #8
    Just A Mountain Biker.
    Reputation: blaklabl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    482
    Thanks for the replies all, sounds like it may all work out after some additional communication. Looking forward to checking out that frame, they get great reviews.




  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    171
    Can you go to Cannondale headquarters and buy a frame? No ?!? By your logic they must be a shoddy company.

    Soul is a small company and use their space to distribute directly to customers and dealers, without a storefront. Eliminating a storefront probably allows them to minimize overhead, keep costs down, and increase efficiency. Their frames are very popular and often nearly sell out before new batches arrive, they've got lots of work to do. I've never had anything but great experiences with Soul - always quick to send replacement hangers (free!) and even had no problem following up with a warranty issue. Good communication, good service, and a good product. Oh but you can't go their warehouse, what a tragedy

    Edit: I have a blem frame and a blem fork. To this day I haven't found the blem on either.

  10. #10
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Grave9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,458
    I love my SoulCycle Dillinger Single Speed!!!! A+ ................Drew

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tmarkos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,349
    Love my Hero.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soul Cycles - Still Reputable?-dsc_1080_opt.jpg  


  12. #12
    Vincit qui patitur
    Reputation: owtdorz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    476
    Cactus Bikes in Ahwatukee is now open and has new owner. They are next to the Subway in the same strip mall. Give them a shout and ask them.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

  13. #13
    Just A Mountain Biker.
    Reputation: blaklabl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    482
    Quote Originally Posted by cm374 View Post
    Can you go to Cannondale headquarters and buy a frame? No ?!? By your logic they must be a shoddy company.

    Soul is a small company and use their space to distribute directly to customers and dealers, without a storefront. Eliminating a storefront probably allows them to minimize overhead, keep costs down, and increase efficiency. Their frames are very popular and often nearly sell out before new batches arrive, they've got lots of work to do. I've never had anything but great experiences with Soul - always quick to send replacement hangers (free!) and even had no problem following up with a warranty issue. Good communication, good service, and a good product. Oh but you can't go their warehouse, what a tragedy

    Edit: I have a blem frame and a blem fork. To this day I haven't found the blem on either.
    Wow, thanks for setting me straight, Sport. Have yourself a fine day.




  14. #14
    ******ed or Branded??
    Reputation: doodooboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,993
    Just to add have a Blem hero and it was just inside of the hanger on the non-drive side that didn't get the secondary color on. Super sick company and yes they sell out fast too fast at times.
    .

  15. #15
    Shred...it's the new drug
    Reputation: latedropbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,843
    Chad at Soul is a stand up gent...I have the 9er dillinger. Love it! Get in contact with him and he'll work with you... Great quality and service

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    420
    I don't think you'll have a bad experience with Chad/Soul Cycles.

    I bought a hero frame from him about a year ago. He was super helpful.

    It's just a super small company.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,642
    Quote Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
    Cactus Bikes in Ahwatukee is now open and has new owner. They are next to the Subway in the same strip mall. Give them a shout and ask them.
    I heard they are primarily renting bikes, not selling bikes. True?
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

  18. #18
    Shred...it's the new drug
    Reputation: latedropbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    I heard they are primarily renting bikes, not selling bikes. True?
    They are a full fledged shop now...Kona, Intense and others. So far good experiences with the shop...New owner is in full support of the Gnar!

    I'm stoked on the new Soul 9er fully coming out soon...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,642
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob View Post
    They are a full fledged shop now...Kona, Intense and others. So far good experiences with the shop...New owner is in full support of the Gnar!

    I'm stoked on the new Soul 9er fully coming out soon...
    Nice. Good luck to them.
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

  20. #20
    Let'er Buck
    Reputation: kdimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    213
    My dillinger has blown away the high expectations for it. Sould is quality and Chad does everything the right way.
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 5bravobravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    385
    Soul Cycles is totally legit. It is a small operation with a lot of engineering ability. They offer a personal touch, and . if you buy one local, you will get great support.

    Can't blame them for not showcasing their shop, as theft is a really big issue in the bike world.

    Did you know that Pivot has a shop in town with a secret location, no signs or logos or anything..there is probably millions of $$ worth of those sweet bikes in there..does that make pivot dodgy too?

    Support the locals, buy that SC frame, you will love it I'm sure...
    Check my pulse...

  22. #22
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,559
    Quote Originally Posted by 5bravobravo View Post
    Did you know that Pivot has a shop in town with a secret location, no signs or logos or anything..there is probably millions of $$ worth of those sweet bikes in there..does that make pivot dodgy too?
    .
    lol.

    Amazon, PayPal, GoDaddy and Ticketmaster all have large offices here, but they are all extremely low-key on the outside. Stop using them ASAP!

  23. #23
    Just A Mountain Biker.
    Reputation: blaklabl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    482
    Thanks guys, you all made my decision much easier! I can always count on the MTBR AZ forum...




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •