Thread: Sonoran Trails

mtbr member

Sonoran Trails

Su Ling and I decided to hit the Sonoran Trails on Saturday. What a fun little system, itís close to town, has a good amount of climbing and is not too busy. Worth checking out at least once to see if itís for you.

It's always fun to ride new trails

Official Site of the City of Phoenix - Sonoran Preserve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sonoran Trails-sam_1885.jpg  

Sonoran Trails-sam_1910.jpg  

Sonoran Trails-sam_1913.jpg  

Sonoran Trails-sam_1915.jpg  

Sonoran Trails-sam_1927.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hey Monkeybutt, (don't get to say that everyday)

What loop or series of trails would you recommend to get a ride in with the maximum amount of climbing?

mtbr member
    Yeah Sonoran is a great trail. It has been a minute since I have been there, been hitting other trails pretty hard.
    Below is my favorite route with what seems as the steepest route for climbing, but you will only get about 1500ft total in about 10 miles:
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

Ahhh the pain....
    yeah, pretty fun stuff out that at SMP. Doing both the north and south, you can easily get 30+ miles and rack up over 2500 ft of climbing. Nothing highly technical by any means, but some good 300-400 ft sustained climbs that make some nice intervals. You can even get over to Deems via the new freeway pedestrian bridge to get some more distance/vert.
    If you're really adventurous, you can even connect via Cave Buttes Rec area and Reach 11 to get over to the McDowells, or connect to the Maricopa trail and either Cave Creek or BCT...
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by il2mb View Post
    Hey Monkeybutt, (don't get to say that everyday)

What loop or series of trails would you recommend to get a ride in with the maximum amount of climbing?
    It was our first time out there so I'm no expert but we went clockwise on the loops and had to climb most of the way. Overall, just a really fun area.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Was this on the "south" loops? Where did you park at if you don't mind me asking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

mtbr member
    May 2012
    If you come from the south via 19th Ave it will turn into N Valley Parkway. At the first stop sign take a right and you will see the Fireside Community Center ahead on your left (look for the flagpole).

Take a left but pass the clubhouse. Take the next right and the street will go through a gate and you will be at the trailhead parking lot.

The climb out of the parking lot is steep so you may want a little spin around the lot first to warm up...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    yeah, pretty fun stuff out that at SMP. Doing both the north and south, you can easily get 30+ miles and rack up over 2500 ft of climbing. Nothing highly technical by any means, but some good 300-400 ft sustained climbs that make some nice intervals. You can even get over to Deems via the new freeway pedestrian bridge to get some more distance/vert.
    If you're really adventurous, you can even connect via Cave Buttes Rec area and Reach 11 to get over to the McDowells, or connect to the Maricopa trail and either Cave Creek or BCT...
    do you have a gps route to BCT from either Deems or Sonoran? Thanks.

DFMBA.org
    If anyone is looking to hit the north loops, you can park in the dirt (right off the road) at Carefree Hwy and 7th Ave. There's a stop light there. These are groomed just like the south loops and some great climb as well.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by ssamplin View Post
    do you have a gps route to BCT from either Deems or Sonoran? Thanks.
    Here is a route that goes from Reach 11, through Sonoran N & S, up to the Maricopa Trail, then west to hook up with BCT.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hit the north side on Wednesday. Circled the whole thing and climbed two of the three peaks out there. Good flow and a great workout. The views from the top aren't too bad either.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsefreeflow View Post
    Yeah Sonoran is a great trail. It has been a minute since I have been there, been hitting other trails pretty hard.
    Below is my favorite route with what seems as the steepest route for climbing, but you will only get about 1500ft total in about 10 miles:
    Thank you SO MUCH for posting that track, really gives me a good idea of which way to head on my first trip out there this weekend!

Go Speed Racer
    That is similar to my regular route out there, however I do the right loop first, and then the top one CCW. Either way make sure to bring your wings for your bike because you will be FLYING on some of the downs...

Also, if you want some more climbing there are three different summit trails (out and back) that branch off of that route (they are all less than 1 mi up and back down).

mtbr member
    Here is a route that goes from Reach 11, through Sonoran N & S, up to the Maricopa Trail, then west to hook up with BCT.
    Thank you sir. hope you had a slice or two of pie after that one

Give it a crank
    Holy Reach 11 to Rock Springs, batman!

Ahhh the pain....
    Hoping they build some new trails north on the Sonoran Preserve Land north of Carefree Highway to avoid the 3 or so mile road ride up to meet the Maricopa trail. The thought of riding from my house (64th Street and Bell Rd) and getting all the way to BCT w/ less than a couple miles of pavement is sweet!

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Any way to show this for those of us that can't look at GPX files? Interested in a route from the Reach 11 west end to these trails, I live on the east side of the mountains(cave creek rd and lone mountain) and would like a route that didn't make me have to drive all the way over to the TH on the west side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Give it a crank
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Any way to show this for those of us that can't look at GPX files?
    Just paste the gpx link into the search field in Google Maps, you should get this:

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/arizona/750425d1357306682-sonoran-trails-r11-sonoran-bct.gpx - Google Maps

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    Just paste the gpx link into the search field in Google Maps, you should get this:

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/arizona/750425d1357306682-sonoran-trails-r11-sonoran-bct.gpx - Google Maps
    Cool trick.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Hoping they build some new trails north on the Sonoran Preserve Land north of Carefree Highway to avoid the 3 or so mile road ride up to meet the Maricopa trail. The thought of riding from my house (64th Street and Bell Rd) and getting all the way to BCT w/ less than a couple miles of pavement is sweet!
    Hoping for a mega loop that connects Sonoran to reach 11 to McDowell to Pima/dynamite to spur cross to bct and back down to Sonoran

There must be a way

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    This is my "home" trail since I live in the Fireside community right below it. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. I see a lot of people doing a Sonora + Deems run using the pedestrian bridge across the 17.

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Hoping for a mega loop that connects Sonoran to reach 11 to McDowell to Pima/dynamite to spur cross to bct and back down to Sonoran

There must be a way
    Here's the mega-loop...haven't done it yet but plan to.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Here's the mega-loop...haven't done it yet but plan to.
    That's insane. What's the total mileage and how many days will that take? 2 at minimum?