Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Need more cowbell

Sonoran Trail System in North Phoenix

The Sonoran trail still has some areas that are under construction. We went "exploring" yesterday to check out what is completed so far. The area on the west side of this garmin map is what I'm referring to....we rode in from the "cave buttes dam" area, so I'm not sure where the trailhead is to access these tails.

Similar to the deem hills trails on the other side of I-17.

Garmin Map

Just another half mile...
    Looks like you found the new trail in the Sonoran Preserve. The City of Phoenix has a map of what is open HERE. The trail is accessed off of North Valley Parkway. More inforamtion on the new Sonaran Preserve can be found HERE. More trails will be built as the park expands!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath
    The Sonoran trail still has some areas that are under construction. We went "exploring" yesterday to check out what is completed so far. The area on the west side of this garmin map is what I'm referring to....we rode in from the "cave buttes dam" area, so I'm not sure where the trailhead is to access these tails.

Shaman
    Apr 2004
    Cool, I will have to check the trails out on the way back from Sedona tomorrow.
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net

No Clue Crew
    Heard a little about the area from a Ranger and I've been meaning to check this out since I can get hours riding it with my Steward shirt on... I'm sure they'd appreciate the reports since it's a new area.

mtbr member
    I ride this section of trail a couple of times a week. Love it. They did a great job.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The Trailhead is at the end of W. Desert Vista Trail...

33.74181,-112.099804

mtbr member
    So how was the ride? From the photos, it looks like quite a bit of climbing, but no real chunk.
    Any fun? I'll probably go ride it sometime this week or weekend.

mtbr member
    I try to ride this a few times a week, it has its fun spots, nothing like the larger mtns, but it will do the trick if you do a few laps.

mtbr member
    I used to ride in this area frequently, accessing from 16th St and Carefree Hwy. About a year ago, it was mostly jeep track and cow trails on the west side of the area, and I needed a state trust land permit for access. I am very glad to see the development, and can't wait to try it out. Thanks a bunch for the info, everyone.

mtbr member
    Whiskers: From your garmin map, it shows you started out on the northeast side of the preserve, near Cave Creek and Carefree, but the Sonoran Preserve website shows the trailhead at the southwest end of the preserve, with the entrance near the I-17.
    Which is the best place to park and ride from?

Need more cowbell
    I really couldn't tell you.....like I said, we just found it by accident while riding in the Cave Buttes area (what cosmic ray called the "union hills loop" in his book). I think somebody else mentioned the trailhead elsewhere in this thread...but I will just continue to ride in from the east (from my house).

mtbr member
    If you are driving to check out the trail, then as PhxChem said, the best place to park is on West Desert Vista Trail. There is basically a little park back there behind the community center building. Lots of parking ( 33° 44.464'N 112° 5.837'W). Not sure if there is any ammenities....restrooms, water?

You can also access the trail from a hiking path a little to the North of the park along W Melvern Trail. Just past N 21th Ave, but before you get to West Hunter Court. The trail is on the East Side, but its right off the main road, so not a great place to park. (33° 44.843'N 112° 6.209'W)

Finally, not shown on the map, but there is also a connector going North from the trail. I think that community is called Sonoran Foothills. If you look at the pictures in this post, there is one that shows the white trail sign "Sonoran Loop Trail". That is the point where the connector goes North for 1 - 2 miles and connects to West Sonoran Parkway. That road is not a through street (yet). So you can park on the south side of the road there as well. I don't typically take this portion of the leg, so I don't know where it comes out exactly, but somewhere in the area of 33° 46.177'N 112° 6.138'W.

Along this same North connector is also where you can break off and head off into the Cave Buttes dam area. The turn off to go east and explore that area is located at 33° 45.775'N 112° 5.688'W. Lots of Jeep trails, etc.

mtbr member
    Thanks, man! I might check it out today if I can get everything done in time.

Blood, Sweat, and Gears
    Had to check this out this morning, it's not completed yet but it has some real heart pumping steep climbs. I'm at Deems frequently but I would say this is tougher, steeper and longer climbs. The first trail off the parking lot is fairly steep and I would guess about 1/4 mile long and a good workout. It's nice to have options close to home and I'm sure it will be nice when it's completed. Nice steep trails and great views but not very technical, if your a gnar junkie its probably not for you unless they build in something in the future because it is still under construction in parts. There are some great downhills, I saw a handful of bikes today and many hikers. The parking area has a large equestrian area but I saw no evidence of horses.

Here are some easy directions to the new parking lot at the start of the southend trail head..

I17 North to Jomax Rd Exit, right (east) on Jomax to Nortera and make a right (south) it curves eastward and turns into Copperhead. Make a left (north) on Melvan Trail, continue past the Community Center to the first right turn Desert Vista Trail and continue through the gate to the Sonoran Trail Preserve parking area.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the trail insight Fletch. I was wondering how this trail compares to the Deem Hills trail. I've never rode Deem Hills, but see the write ups on MTBR.

...That section of trail out of the parking lot in Fireside will get your lungs going!

Blood, Sweat, and Gears
    IMO I ride Deems a few times a week on average and I really enjoy it, partially because it's less than two miles from home. Although Deems isn't considered to be real technical either I think most people usually agree that the climbs and long fun downhills make it hard to beat on this side of town. I think Sonaran Trail has longer and steeper climbs like you mentioned the first one is a real lung burner. In fairness, it's a bit hard to compare the two being as Sonoran hasn't been seasoned as much yet and is still under construction. I have also been told that they are going to cut some new paths at Deems too. Bottom line, try both of them and you won't be disappointed with either, lots of climbing and long fast downhills at both. Just my opinion......

mtbr member
    Good Info. Thx.
    I am hoping someone finds an interconnect (Under I-17) that can get me from the Sonoran Trail system to the Deem Hills loop. That would be a nice ride.

mtbr member
    I really couldn't tell you.....like I said, we just found it by accident while riding in the Cave Buttes area (what cosmic ray called the "union hills loop" in his book). I think somebody else mentioned the trailhead elsewhere in this thread...but I will just continue to ride in from the east (from my house).
    I looked at your route and the main east-west portion was the same path that Funboarder1971 and I took on Wednesday, Jan 26. But there were a lot of new fences with the nurseries for the plants they pulled out while making the new road through. We have ridden CBRA a lot, and found the connector to the Sonoran Preserve that night. Makes for a great ride from where we started at Tatum and Cave Creek. We also had to duck under their yellow rope where our old trail (dirt road) crossed the new roads.

mtbr member
    Anyone know where that new "Sonoran Pkwy" road they are cutting through the Cave Buttes desert area comes out on the East Side? I see where it starts on the West and have been meaning to ride it and see where it comes out on the East, but haven't had a chance. I heard it was quite a way south. Maybe Dynamite?

mtbr member

Video

Here is a short video of the Sonoran Loop Trail.

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike_Muchacho
    Anyone know where that new "Sonoran Pkwy" road they are cutting through the Cave Buttes desert area comes out on the East Side? I see where it starts on the West and have been meaning to ride it and see where it comes out on the East, but haven't had a chance. I heard it was quite a way south. Maybe Dynamite?

Looks like Peak View Road from the map. That's the existing blacktop road that runs out to the wash area

Good Info Here

mtbr member
    Great vid! definitely makes me want to check it out! How many miles did it end up?

Need more cowbell
    Bondo and I are neighbors....his video is the same loop, same ride info as the garmin data in my first post at the top of the page...

mtbr member
    That is a great vid, I ride this trail also, but I start either at the Preserve parking lot off Desert Vista trail, or I will just ride to it from my place at Las Colinas apts. and start at the Sonoran Parkway trail head, great trail to ride when you don't have a lot of time either.

mtbr member
    Still some exploring to do out there. It would be great if the Sonoran Trail connects to some of the trails out by Cave Buttes Dam. We rode from Black Mountain Parkway near Cave Creek Road on the new Sonoran Parkway (just dirt right now). I think it was around 11 miles until we got to they Sonoran Loop Trail sign. Total distance for us was 31 miles.

mtbr member
    Looks like Peak View Road from the map. That's the existing blacktop road that runs out to the wash area

Good Info Here
    I found this map as well. Looks like three roads are going to cut through the Cave Buttes area. Hopefully they will work some good mountain bike trail connectors in the mix while they are at it.

http://www.sonoranpreservenews.com/w...011/01/Map.png

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Rode it today, and I must say there are definitely some brutal climbs. We rode to 3 of the peaks and it was a killer ride, but a lot of fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cklog
    Rode it today, and I must say there are definitely some brutal climbs. We rode to 3 of the peaks and it was a killer ride, but a lot of fun!
    Wonder if I ran into you today. It's Pete on the Turner.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yes you did I was on the Specialized and my buddy was on the GF. Thanks for the info about the area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cklog
    Where is the access to the three peaks you are referring to? Are they rideable, or hike-a-bike?

"No Clue Crew"
    I'll be out there tomorrow AM on the SS!!!!

mtbr member
    I rode it last week, and had a blast! I started at the parking lot behind the community center. That first climb is a lung opener, that's for sure! Talked to a couple Park Stewards who were just getting back from working on the lower trails. From up top, it looks like they're doing a great job. Those trails look awesome, can't wait until they open up!
    Sonoran Loop Trail at EveryTrail
    EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking in Arizona
    "There's nothing like touching earth you've never touched"

mtbr member

Updated map of Sonoran Trail Area

I saw they update the map of this trail system. It includes the new trails they are cutting to the southwest of the existnig trails. Nice!

mtbr member
    Where did you see an updated map? The one on the website shows the dotted lines for the upcoming trails, but thats the same map as it has been. Let me know if theres another one, I might head out there today.

mtbr member

with the link now...

I saw they update the map of this trail system. It includes the new trails they are cutting to the southwest of the existnig trails. Nice!
    I think the trails are still closed, but here's the plan.

http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int...sonoranmap.pdf

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Where is the access to the three peaks you are referring to? Are they rideable, or hike-a-bike?
    We started at the TH behind the fireside community center. Rideable, well that depends on how good you are. I hab a bit of it, I will do better next time.

mtbr member
    I just got back from there, and I checked out the new stuff they were working on (I know, I shouldn't have been on the new trails yet), Pretty great stuff! Well, except for whoever rode their horse out there immediately after the rain. I talked to a guy working on the trail out there and thanked him for the trail and apologized for riding it so early, he didn't seem to be upset.

3/1/11

EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking near Peoria, Arizona

mtbr member
    Bondo Nice video! How tall is you son? that's a 26" right?

mtbr member

How close to completion?

Quote Originally Posted by bazooka_beard
    I just got back from there, and I checked out the new stuff they were working on (I know, I shouldn't have been on the new trails yet), Pretty great stuff! Well, except for whoever rode their horse out there immediately after the rain. I talked to a guy working on the trail out there and thanked him for the trail and apologized for riding it so early, he didn't seem to be upset.
    Excellent. So what is your opinion on how close they are to finishing up some of those new trail sections you rode? Did they feel faily close to completion?

mtbr member
    Excellent. So what is your opinion on how close they are to finishing up some of those new trail sections you rode? Did they feel faily close to completion?
    They said probably mid-March, so pretty soon I would imagine. The trail I rode was pretty much done, I didnt see how far they were going past where I talked to him, though.

mtbr member
    Hey all, Saw a couple of folks this afternoon at Las Colinas apts. heading out to ride, probably the Sonoran loop, just wondering if the two are members here on the forum, I live there too, and have always rode by myself, love to ride with some others, anyway, if you frequent here let me know, love to find folks to ride with.

mtbr member

Access to Central Ave from new portion of trail?

...not advocating riding on the unopened trails...BUT

I'm looking for access to this new portion of the trail from Central Ave. If anybody knows of one, post a waypoint, or walk me through how to get there.

mtbr member

Access to Central Ave from new portion of trail?

...not sure if the southern part of this new trail is even cut...but if it is...
    Last edited by Bike_Muchacho; 03-04-2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Duplicate

mtbr member

...not advocating riding on the unopened trails...BUT

I'm looking for access to the southermost section of this new portion of the trail from Central Ave. If anybody knows of one, post a waypoint, or walk me through how to get there.
    It looks like 7th ave north of Happy Valley would get you access. There is a dirt road that goes north from there into the area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amateurcyclist
    It looks like 7th ave north of Happy Valley would get you access. There is a dirt road that goes north from there into the area.
    So Happy Valley to Central, cut over to 7th Ave, then North to the trail? The end of 7th isn't anybody's property...just a dirt road? Thx. I'll check out that entry point.

Blood, Sweat, and Gears
    I hit Sonoran yesterday morning and man was the weather perfect, I was surprised how many hikers and riders were out there. It's been about a month since my last visit and it appears that its getting pretty popular, I spoke to a handful of really nice folks at various places I stoped to catch my breath. That first uphill off the parking lot is over a quarter a mile long based on my gps and is a b***h of a climb, it makes the Deems climb seem easy IMO.

I was over half way through the loop and just entering the flat area where all the cholla cactus are, I came up on two fit looking late 30ish ladies. I slowed down because I saw them before they saw me, as we got within about 15 feet of one another they stepped to the side of the trail to allow me to pass easily. As I approached I greeted them and thanked them, just as I passed one of them said to the other "we have to do something about this". They said hello back and It wasn't as if I had startled them or crowed them so I'm not sure what they could been referring to?

I even encountered some equestrians on the trail that thanked me for giving way and commented on how courteous I was and that I must of had experience with horses. I try very hard to be courteous to other bikers, hikers and equestrians so I guess I was taken back by the comment that they have to do something about this??
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. -- Abraham Lincoln

mtbr member
    rode it this morning and you are right. That initial climb right out of the gate is steep, straight and loong. Nothing like going max HR right away, eh. I wish they had made it more interesting and curvy going up but....anyway, the whole new trail system looks awesome and will be another BIG gem in the north valley!
    I noticed Swiss American bikes will be doing weekly night training rides up there soon.

Did anyone find a way to cross I-17 from the west side and a route over to the Sonoran TH? Anyway to cross through skunk creek underpass or just take one of the new overpasses would work I guess.

bicycleonthebrain
    i was out there last friday! drove out from Cali to camp out at mcdowell for the weekend and hit this place up first, super fun. can't wait to head out there again and explore.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Great Ride!

I rode the system this past Wednesday, March 9th; 4 months to the day after my emergency back surgery. And to say the least, I felt blessed. The trail, weather and wildlife (Quail - I am a bird dog guy) were wonderful. And my back held up well!

mtbr member
    back on 2 again, congrats! Sent you a pm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Just a quick note...If your going to ride this area I would suggest doing it early in the AM, as there were a lot of hikers on the trail that seem to think they own this area. I was coming down an on of the grades today and basically this big guy that was hiking saw me coming and just planted himself right in the middle of the trail and stopped, I thanked him. Came up on another couple walking dogs, both had ear buds in and I literally had to yell at the guy before he heard me. All I can say is can't we all just share.

mtbr member
    another arrogant hiker...shocking! wTF with some of these people?
    Time for mtbr critical mass?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Man down

One of our riders was going i bit to fast today, hit a rock and went down. No worries I think he will be ok.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sonoran Trail System in North Phoenix-pict2820.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

"No Clue Crew"
    Nice work with the first-aid kit!!!.......Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    Nice work with the first-aid kit!!!.......Drew
    After last nights ride out there thinking a Rattlesnake anti venom kit might not be a bad idea!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobZona
    another arrogant hiker...shocking! wTF with some of these people?
    Time for mtbr critical mass?
    They take the "yeild" thing a bit far most times. They have a miss conception that Yeild = Stop.

mtbr member

New sections?

Are they still making progress on the new sections of trail? I have yet to get out there and check it out.Also - Rattle Snakes - There's not a lot of snakes on this trail system, but there are certainly a few who claim parts of it as their territory. I occassionally see the same one along "his" section. Still scares the piss out of me each time.Hikers - The good news. As it starts to heat up, the hiker traffic drops quickly. You'll only tend to see experienced hikers who are used to sharing the trail with bikes and horses. ....the ear bud thing is still an issue. Not sure how to make enough noise to overcome someone with the volume cranked?

mtbr member
    I ride out there a lot, I have only seen one dead one, but I am thinking you may be right....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Are they still making progress on the new sections of trail? I have yet to get out there and check it out.Also - Rattle Snakes - There's not a lot of snakes on this trail system, but there are certainly a few who claim parts of it as their territory. I occassionally see the same one along "his" section. Still scares the piss out of me each time.Hikers - The good news. As it starts to heat up, the hiker traffic drops quickly. You'll only tend to see experienced hikers who are used to sharing the trail with bikes and horses. ....the ear bud thing is still an issue. Not sure how to make enough noise to overcome someone with the volume cranked?
    Out on the new "closed" trails today......they still need to make a couple of connections and I'm not sure they've even started the trail that, on the map, departs somewhere in the middle of the initial climb from the parking lot.

Lots of fun singletrack. There are a couple of small portions where they have used old jeep trails, but have narrowed it back down with plantings and obliterating part of the old road. They have also obliterated the old jeep trails that they do not intend to use....seem to know what they are doing out there. Nice outslope, grade reversals....it's like they want the trail to last!! No real gnar, but nature has yet to have its way with the trail.....time will tell.

Give it a crank
    Have there been any updates to these trails since March? Please post your latest ride, map, gps log, etc. from this new trail system.

mtbr member
    If I get my bike back from the shop, I may head out there tomorrow. It's been a while, curious to explore the new section if it's open.

mtbr member
    We did a ladies ride out there last night, got 3 laps in CCW, saw they opened the new trail, but we haven't rode it yet. It looks like they are starting a new trail. Saw no snakes, just a few hikers. It is a great training ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    Have there been any updates to these trails since March? Please post your latest ride, map, gps log, etc. from this new trail system.
    I was out there a couple of weeks ago and everything was connected (based on this map) except the connection that will go about mid-way to the steep hill that comes out of the parking lot. They were working on that connection and it was being roughed in by the SWECO. It was like a first pass....rough and loose. But everything else is good.

My favorite is that southern-most loop around the peak. Some parts nice and flowy, some parts steep and rocky.....all of it interesting (especially at south part of that loop where it skirts near those homes). I think it flows best CW.....

The map is pretty close, except they took some slightly different lines during construction in some spots where the map shows the "dashed" planned routes.

mtbr member
    I ride this area a lot, mainly because I can ride from my house. I'd have to agree w/PhxChem the CW direction on the southern peak is much better than CCW.

You have options in the new section though. There's a loop, a trail that splits the loop, and on this split trail, you can split again and switchback it up to the top for a grinding out-n-bak. Killer views
    When all else fails - Haul Ass

mtbr member
    I'm sure CW may be funner but we go for the hill climbs......there is much more climbing CCW and the backside is much funner CCW also IMO it flows better!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looks like these will be great trails - can't wait to try them in the fall once I'm done getting nuked!
    Yes, I'm the crazy christmas guy!

mtbr member
    rode there this am and went CW direction on the new trails on the SE side. Excellent layout with good climbing, fast swoopy sections, g-outs, and bermed corners!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sonoran Trail System in North Phoenix-p6190201.jpg  

Sonoran Trail System in North Phoenix-p6190206.jpg  

Sonoran Trail System in North Phoenix-p6190216.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I had a great time climbing that little spur trail they call Western Summit Trail. It's the tiniest, peakiest peak I've ever ridden my bike to. Coming back down was kinda scary. Highly recommend that little side trip. Good luck to all you single speeders! I used my small chain ring.

mtbr member

Tues night, full moon, let's go!

How about another Tues nt ride on Sonoran Mtn preserve this week. 9 showed up a couple of weeks ago. Full moon, cool air, and no dust storms! this week.
    I'll post up on the regular Deem Hills TNR thread and probably catch a few of those folks.

Tues night ride Oct 11, 6:45, from Sonoran Mtn preserve trailhead parking lot behind Fireside community. Post-ride gathering at Buffalo Wild Wings(Shops at Norterra) for longnecks and eats.

mtbr member
    bump

Who took my gears?
    I have been riding out here more frequently recently, the more I ride out here the more I like it. I just wish there were a few more technical rocky sections.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sonoran Trail System in North Phoenix-sonora1.jpg  

Sonoran Trail System in North Phoenix-sonora2.jpg  

Last edited by dirtbyte; 03-11-2012 at 11:43 AM.

mtbr member
    I like riding this trail, too. I am looking forward to the bridge over I-17 that will make riding SMP and Deem Hills a bit closer together via bike.
    -boom

Who took my gears?
    Quote Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
    I like riding this trail, too. I am looking forward to the bridge over I-17 that will make riding SMP and Deem Hills a bit closer together via bike.
    WOW, A Deem Hills / Sonoran Trail ride would be awesome! I did not know a bridge was in the works. Is this a pedestrian only bridge? Do you know where it is planned for?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    WOW, A Deem Hills / Sonoran Trail ride would be awesome! I did not know a bridge was in the works. Is this a pedestrian only bridge? Do you know where it is planned for?
    Here is an article about it:

Pedestrian bridge will cross Interstate 17 north of Jomax Road

-boom

Who took my gears?
    WOW! This area just keeps getting better and better! Thanks so much for posting that link, I can not wait for that to be done and do a Deem/Sonoran ride!

Give it a crank
    The pedestrian bridge is sure going to be a big improvement. If you can't wait, there's the road bridge across Jomax Rd. for hooking up the two trail systems with a stint down Pinnacle Vista Rd.

mtbr member

More Trails!

They are starting to cut the trails North of the Sonoran Loop. It will connect to this trail system and bring you all the way up to Carefree Highway. If you look north from the north side of the Sonoran Trail loop, you can see the trail cutting across the mountain to the north. I haven't been able to find where the trails are proposed to go, but they look like they will add a "northern" loop to this whole trail system. Nice! I hope to explore a little more this weekend. Right now they cross the Sonoran Desert Parkway, so they are a little problematic to get to.

In the rear with the beer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike_Muchacho View Post
    So Happy Valley to Central, cut over to 7th Ave, then North to the trail? The end of 7th isn't anybody's property...just a dirt road? Thx. I'll check out that entry point.
    HI,
    Any extra details to help me find the access to the trail near 7th? Is it there a dirt road I'll see easily from 7th ave and Central?
    Thanks in advance!

Give it a crank
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling View Post
    HI,
    Any extra details to help me find the access to the trail near 7th? Is it there a dirt road I'll see easily from 7th ave and Central?
    Thanks in advance!
    Follow 5th St. north until in merges with 7th St. It then drops you into Great Horned Owl Trail past this non-motorized access sign.

mtbr member
    I used to live in one if those houses that butt up against the trail on 5th st. Beleive me, they are used to a lot of traffic.

Rides the Desert
    Ive only got one ride out on these trails, but Im definately looking forward to the foot bridge crossing I 17. I remember from the parking lot we went up the climb on hawks nest, which is actually named for a hawks nest in a saquaro there that was currently occupied by a GH owl that was cool to see. Then we took a right onto dixie mtn loop and after about a mile turned right again onto a short little downhill with some minor switchbacks that lead to valle verde trail which goes through that valley. It connects at the end to great horned owl which is a loop of probably the coolest trails in the area surrounding union peak. Theres a trail on union peak which is antagonizingly marked UP on the map and I rode to the top of it for about a 400ft elevation gain in about 3/4 of a mile. Then after backtracking a little on valle verde we turned left on desert tortoise which is about a 1.5 mile trail that leads back to the parking lot. DT also offers some fun flowy trail. Typed this on my mobile so sorry for any typos and run ons

mtbr member
    Looks like the bridge construction is progressing! We should plan a Deems/SMP MTBR ride when it is completed!!

Northbound Interstate 17 closed Friday night for bridge installation
    -boom

Who took my gears?
    Quote Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
    Looks like the bridge construction is progressing! We should plan a Deems/SMP MTBR ride when it is completed!!

Northbound Interstate 17 closed Friday night for bridge installation
    Count me in for that ride!

slow uphill
    Not to give up some of my new favorite riding trails, but I haven't seen any mention in this thread (may have just missed it) of the "closed" trails north of Dove Valley Rd.

If you go into the road construction area, there is a paved pedestrian path that leads to some really good, under construction, single track. It is still being cut by the City, but there is probably enough to ride a good 4-8 miles. It is prepped like the Sonoran Loop, really smooth, not rocky/technical AT ALL. But fun, fast, flowy singletrack that is perfect for an hour or so ride to get the heart and legs pumping. Plus I roll out of my driveway and I'm there, which is nice.

I'll post up a GPS map of at least a good chunk of the system tomorrow.

mtbr member
    I was thinking of an Ultra Loop leaving from 67th ave and the 101, trekking over T-Bird mountain, couple miles of pavement to Deems, up and over that, across the 17 to Sonoran around and back through Deems and T-Bird using different trails both ways. Already scouted T-Bird on foot and found doable trails and have ridden all of Deems and most of Sonoran.

It would be a long way with lots of climbing, but plenty of recoup time in the flats with enough places in between to stop for water etc. Stay tuned! (er... might be awhile until I am in shape to do the the whole thing!)
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Cstem: did that earlier this year, but from 51 ave and the 101. Very easy to get 40 miles with decent amount of climbing in addition to not overlapping hardly any trail segments.

mtbr member
    I just drove by the overpass - it looks like its about 1/3rd complete.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phatmike2112 View Post
    Cstem: did that earlier this year, but from 51 ave and the 101. Very easy to get 40 miles with decent amount of climbing in addition to not overlapping hardly any trail segments.
    Sweet- when i'm ready to tackle the miles are you game to go?

I was thinking if we get a few people to go maybe I can talk my wife in to prestaging some coolers of water/etc @ Deems and Sonoran.

Who took my gears?
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post

I was thinking if we get a few people to go maybe I can talk my wife in to prestaging some coolers of water/etc @ Deems and Sonoran.
    I would be interested in joining you for this ride....

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Yeah, please post up on this ride, I'm game.
    I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Should we start at Deem Hills Parking lot, ride the backend to SMP, do the Sonoran loop, ride back to Deems, and then a TB loop? Help me flesh this out! This sounds like it will be a good ride!
    -boom

Ahhh the pain....
    All this new trail talk is giving me a chubbie...I asked before about a route from the intersection of Cave Creek Rd and the 101fwy over to Sonoran...anyone have a gpx?
    Looking to ride Reach 11 from my house at 64th street and Bell and hook up all the "urban" mtns. Maybe even Cave Creek and Spur Cross? Could be quite the adventure.
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post

I'm in.

mtbr member
    I was thinking leaving from 67th and 101 in the Safeway parking lot. There is a Mc-D's there for post ride ice cream! Actually though, the beauty of a loop is we could start anywhere. Along or near the route or even switch it up once in a while if it ends up happenig more than once. Give me a month- I am not is shape to finish it yet, but then again, I am dumb enough to attempt it now and just bail out when I need as well.

Give it a crank
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    All this new trail talk is giving me a chubbie...I asked before about a route from the intersection of Cave Creek Rd and the 101fwy over to Sonoran...anyone have a gpx?
    Looking to ride Reach 11 from my house at 64th street and Bell and hook up all the "urban" mtns. Maybe even Cave Creek and Spur Cross? Could be quite the adventure.
    Try this route, it connects Reach 11 with the Sonoran Trails.

Reach11-Sonoran.gpx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanyonTrailJunkie View Post
    I just drove by the overpass - it looks like its about 1/3rd complete.
    roadbiking past the new bridge this morning and it looks like they are connecting the cinder trail along canal from Sonoran Mtn Ranch on west end, through Stetson Valley, north of Deem Hills, to I-17 bridge.
    This adds many more potential miles to the big mtn tour of the north valley.
    Check this out...TB park loop, then head NW connecting 67th ave, Happy Valley Rd, cross desert section to West Wing Mtn trails, north to "Pyramid Peak" desrt trails, cross canal bridge to Stetson Valley, left (east) on canal trail to I-17, to Sonoran Mtn Preserve, west back to Adobe Dam area, and finally back to TB park.

The only obstacle for now is, the canal bridge fence/blockade that had been opened for many months has been repaired closed recently ---- but not for long. Another alien spacecraft will surely reopen the fence as before. Why don't they just make a bike/horse/hiker gate and proper access to the state trust land we have legal rights to?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobZona View Post
    roadbiking past the new bridge this morning and it looks like they are connecting the cinder trail along canal from Sonoran Mtn Ranch on west end, through Stetson Valley, north of Deem Hills, to I-17 bridge.
    This adds many more potential miles to the big mtn tour of the north valley.
    Check this out...TB park loop, then head NW connecting 67th ave, Happy Valley Rd, cross desert section to West Wing Mtn trails, north to "Pyramid Peak" desrt trails, cross canal bridge to Stetson Valley, left (east) on canal trail to I-17, to Sonoran Mtn Preserve, west back to Adobe Dam area, and finally back to TB park.

The only obstacle for now is, the canal bridge fence/blockade that had been opened for many months has been repaired closed recently ---- but not for long. Another alien spacecraft will surely reopen the fence as before. Why don't they just make a bike/horse/hiker gate and proper access to the state trust land we have legal rights to?
    Rob that is a little out of reach for me for the near future! I was thinking my new "goal" ride of TB/Deems/Sonoran needed a name and the one I had thought up really belongs to your route there! I was calling it "La Ruta de Sonoran" but have now decided that I am going to call mine "Triple Crown". Your route is now goal two for me.

mtbr member
    not sure what the mileage/time is on that ride, but it would be a challenge. I'm moving to Cibola Vista on the western side of that route, so I will be planning a trial run later this summer. Maybe a crazy long night ride. This would be a good north valley training route for FOTP, except no comparable terrain to S. Mtn.

The triple crown ride---TB, DH, and SMP, would be good. Ride TB, N on 67th ave, N through neighborhood trail following wash to Pyramid Peak road, N to canal trail, E to Deem Hills, and SMP. Then return through Adobe Dam rec area to TB.
    That would eliminate the West Wing section and 2+ hrs.

Someone post up the ride, hopefully not on Sat and I'm in.
    If the bridge route is not finished by then, I have an alternate route that gets us from Deem Hills, across skunk creek, Jomax to SMP.

mtbr member
    Rob- where is Cibola Vista- I'm in Arrowhead by the elementary school on Union.

I thought ride H-1 from 67th TH around south side of TB to the ampitheater, up and across the bridge over 59th, down H-1 on east side to Pinnacle Peak and 55th. Ride the road to Deems and run Circumference north side up to Basalt, come down Circum. to 39th TH. From there I would need a better route to Sonoran Desert Vista Trailhead or similar that is more dirt than pave. I have only rode that area twice now and haven't decided what would be the most fun group of trails at Sonoran yet.

From Sonoran- a decent route yet again with little pave back to Deems 39th TH, up water tower to Palisade to Circumference south side back to the park, pave to 55th and Pinnacle going along 59th on the West side of H-1 to the ampitheater again to H-4 and H-4b down to H-1 and out and aroudn to 67th TH back to start point at 67th and either Deer Valley or 101. I like using those as a start/end point for a group so if we went on a night mission, there is plenty going on that we don't have to worry about theft. At the 101 there is more stores for supplies/water/food.

I am thinking by end of August I should be ready to tackle the whole thing physically-I am ready mentally right now!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Here's how I did it earlier.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Bird Deem Sonoran near Glendale | Times and Records | Strava

If someone has a better way to transition between Deem to Sonoran...even better. Obviously the pedestrian bridge will help.

There is plenty of chance to up the miles and climbing on this as well. I didn't do the big climb at Deem and there is still the whole southern loop of Sonoran which I didn't touch on this particular ride. I'm guessing that adding those in could add 7-8 miles and another 1k of climbing pretty easily. You can add even more by playing around North of the canal at Deem.

I'm not quite sure if I would be able to pull this off in the summer. Wouldn't mind trying a night ride, but I highly doubt my lights would last that long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0