Go Speed Racer

Sonoran Preserve South - Night Riding - Parking at the trailhead

Heading out to Sonoran Preserve south tonight for a little night riding fun. I will probably get there before sunset, but will surely get done after dark. Should I go ahead and park at the trailhead? I seem to recall it just had the little flip up one way spikes on the way out and I would not be locked in. Or should I park at the park just down the street?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Interesting, I might be there too, havent made up my mind... I drive a white Subaru Forester... It's ok to park there and ride at night... I have even discussed it with some of the rangers... You will need to get there before sundown, obviously... you will be able to exit no problem at night...
    Below Par on the Gnar

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    Interesting, I might be there too, havent made up my mind... I drive a white Subaru Forester... It's ok to park there and ride at night... I have even discussed it with some of the rangers... You will need to get there before sundown, obviously... you will be able to exit no problem at night...
    Thanks for confirming, that is what I figured. Good to know the rangers are cool with it also. I will be at the trail head around 6:30 - 6:45. White pickup truck, white Giant 29er hardtail...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Thanks for confirming, that is what I figured. Good to know the rangers are cool with it also. I will be at the trail head around 6:30 - 6:45. White pickup truck, white Giant 29er hardtail...
    Have fun.. I'll be riding tomorrow morning instead.. I am too much of a puss when comes to the hot weather...
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I saw this too late but would be interested next time!

Go Speed Racer
    Cool! There were a few cars in the lot when I finished that were not there when I started. Freakin awesome ride! Got about half in during sunset, and the other half in the dark. It had been awhile since I had riddled out there, I forgot how much fun, and FAST it is, oh had the climbing! Trails were basically empty. Great ride, now time for post ride brewski.

mtbr member
    You can also park at the brand new CVS, 3 minute street ride from there.

Great staging place for future group rides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just got done doing a ride up there. Was a Blast. We do a Night ride every Monday night. We try to meet there at 7-7:15 so we can get in before they lock the gate and head up the trails at 7:30.
    I saw two bikes sitting on the 1st turn off up the 1st climb at around 7:55 8ish. My group had 3 riders.
    2013 Trek Rig SS
    2013 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    2014 Trek X-Cal 5
    2014 Trek Slash 7

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    You can also park at the brand new CVS, 3 minute street ride from there.

Great staging place for future group rides.
    Yeah, that CVS freaked me out on my drive to the trailhead, I thought I got lost, LOL. It popped up out of nowhere, I don't even remember there being construction right there the last time I was out there...

mtbr member
    where exactly is that CVS, because it's not even listed in on their website.
    Below Par on the Gnar

Go Speed Racer
    where exactly is that CVS, because it's not even listed in on their website.
    Dynamyte and North Valley Parkway: https://www.google.com/maps/preview#...!2m1!1e3&fid=7

mtbr member
    thx dennis...

I am very much regretting not riding with you last night... I was too lazy to get up this morning to ride...

Please let me/us know next time you are planning a night ride here.. I ride here a lot too... so, chances are I can join you...
    Below Par on the Gnar

Go Speed Racer
    thx dennis...

I am very much regretting not riding with you last night... I was too lazy to get up this morning to ride...

Please let me/us know next time you are planning a night ride here.. I ride here a lot too... so, chances are I can join you...
    Sounds good, I will do Heading out of town this week/weekend, but I will be back in action next week. I will be riding Sonoran/Deems/T-Bird regularly on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday nights. On the weekends I will be riding also, but may be morning/evening and MMP night rides.

On a related note, Cory (cstem) and I are working on a website to help organize impromtu rides like this (Forums aren't always the best). Keep an eye on the facebook page "AZ MTB" for more details about that. I know others have tried and failed, but we are going to give it a go (My bike habit is funded by being a web application developer).

I know the feeling of being too lazy to get up in the morning, that is one of the reasons I have really taken to night riding

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    Just got done doing a ride up there. Was a Blast. We do a Night ride every Monday night. We try to meet there at 7-7:15 so we can get in before they lock the gate and head up the trails at 7:30.
    I saw two bikes sitting on the 1st turn off up the 1st climb at around 7:55 8ish. My group had 3 riders.
    I think that was us! That was about the moment I realized how much that first climb kicked my butt, hadn't been out there since spring. The gate was locked so we just parked along the street below the gate, didn't see any signs so I'm hoping that's ok. Great place to ride at night! That was my first dark ride out there

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter97 View Post
    I think that was us! That was about the moment I realized how much that first climb kicked my butt, hadn't been out there since spring. The gate was locked so we just parked along the street below the gate, didn't see any signs so I'm hoping that's ok. Great place to ride at night! That was my first dark ride out there
    How did you like trail?
    We went again last night. I think 3 times a week is a little much for me right now lol
    We ride every Monday night. Try to gather at the trail head at 7 ( So I can beat the gate ) and head up at about 7:30. Should try to make it out and do a ride with us. Half of us are slow
    I drive a White Dodge Dakota and ride a Greem Trek Rumblefish. so if you see me out there some say Hello. Would love to have a larger group go out and ride.. We had 5 last night. was a blast.
    2013 Trek Rig SS
    2013 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    2014 Trek X-Cal 5
    2014 Trek Slash 7

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    How did you like trail?
    We went again last night. I think 3 times a week is a little much for me right now lol
    We ride every Monday night. Try to gather at the trail head at 7 ( So I can beat the gate ) and head up at about 7:30. Should try to make it out and do a ride with us. Half of us are slow
    I drive a White Dodge Dakota and ride a Greem Trek Rumblefish. so if you see me out there some say Hello. Would love to have a larger group go out and ride.. We had 5 last night. was a blast.
    I actually love that trail. Great workout and it has some really fun sections as well. Definitely will have to meet up with you guys, I'm off "most" Mondays so that won't be an issue. And ill be in the slow half for sure 😊