Go Speed Racer

Sonoran Preserve North - Trails now have names!

Looks like they finally officially opened the PSP North Trails (not sure if this is a good thing, LOL)

Here is the Map: http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int...ent/095100.pdf

Closekids.com
    Never ridden from the Carefree hwy TH. is that any good? Looks like Sidewinder out and SP or Ocotillo back??
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

mtbr member
    I don't even go there during the weekend anymore.

I encountered five horses there yesterday. I stopped 20 feet in front of one and spooked the horse - the rider was pissed. Seriously, if your horse is that sensitive - don't bring on a singletrack trail around the mountain.

mtbr member
    Tour de Sonoran!!
    -boom

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
    Tour de Sonoran!!
    now more like
    Traffic Jam De Sonoran...

Go Speed Racer
    I have not been out there recently, when I have been out there I have seen horse tracks (deep ones in the mud), but never really encountered any horses.

BoomingSooner - From the Carefree trailhead (unofficial) I usually do Ocotillo - Apache - Ridgeback - Sidewinder , but thats just me... I prefer the warmup of Ocotillo before taking a beating on Sidewinder ... Seems like a lot of others to the other way than me, and thats just fine with me

mtbr member
    Looks like they forgot to do spellcheck - "Use maps to plane where you're going" "Do not step on flowers or small t rees" "Human food is unhealt hy for all wildlife and starts bad habits" (Bad habits for who? The wildlife or the humans?) "Treat living and dead plants with respect" (How do you treat a dead plant with respect - step over its dead remains? - LOL)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner View Post
    Never ridden from the Carefree hwy TH. is that any good? Looks like Sidewinder out and SP or Ocotillo back??
    Sidewider out and Ocotillo back is an easy 14 mile spin. Trails are fast and flowing. Some good climbs, but hardly any rocks or tech features. If you do ride it fast practice the turns at speed and watch for hikers. Sightlines are actually pretty good since most of the brush is low. You may not see dirt of trail far off, but can see hikers or other bikers.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    I don't even go there during the weekend anymore.

I encountered five horses there yesterday. I stopped 20 feet in front of one and spooked the horse - the rider was pissed. Seriously, if your horse is that sensitive - don't bring on a singletrack trail around the mountain.
    That happened when I was on the group Ride with some of the MTBR crew. We were on catus Wren junction with Valle View and stopped for the group to rejoin. As we did 5-6 riders came and one told use they had horse that would spook with bikers. Since we were group of 8 and already stopped we just waited. That one horse came by really scared and the rider took it about 20 yards off trail. What I don't get is why take that kind of horse in place where everything will scare it.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    they should offer trail naming rights by high bidders. it would be a great way to raise money for the park.
    of course they'd have to enforce similar standards of appropriateness like they do with vanity plates. no one wants to have to admit they took a beating going down Assman...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    That happened when I was on the group Ride with some of the MTBR crew. We were on catus Wren junction with Valle View and stopped for the group to rejoin. As we did 5-6 riders came and one told use they had horse that would spook with bikers. Since we were group of 8 and already stopped we just waited. That one horse came by really scared and the rider took it about 20 yards off trail. What I don't get is why take that kind of horse in place where everything will scare it.
    Especially on a Saturday morning!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Sidewider out and Ocotillo back is an easy 14 mile spin. Trails are fast and flowing. Some good climbs, but hardly any rocks or tech features. If you do ride it fast practice the turns at speed and watch for hikers. Sightlines are actually pretty good since most of the brush is low. You may not see dirt of trail far off, but can see hikers or other bikers.

Yep, get that big hill out of the way first. After that, the rest is cake!!

Jut waiting for nature to beat some tech into it....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    Yep, get that big hill out of the way first. After that, the rest is cake!!
    I guess you haven't been to ridgeback overlook, spectacular views.

mtbr member
    Cant tell from the map, but can one connect the north to the south? I always park at Desert Vista TH and ride the south loops, but would like to mix them a bit. Is there a trail linking them yet?
    Thanks
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I ride it about 3 times a week. Great trail to get out and just get your rides down for the week. About a 950 elevation climb if you do the outer loop

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tsefreeflow View Post
    Cant tell from the map, but can one connect the north to the south? I always park at Desert Vista TH and ride the south loops, but would like to mix them a bit. Is there a trail linking them yet?
    Thanks
    No formal trail. However you can cut through the neighborhood green belt to get there.
    Joe

I am Walt
    Thanks
    Here's how CoyoteKis and I have been connecting them:
    - From the South loop, take Bobcat north to the gate
    - Climb over gate and go right, along a jeep road. You'll go in and out of a couple washes...
    - Take that generally straight east...don't take any hard lefts, and sort of bear right-ish at times
    - You'll come to (hopefully) an elevated water-hole kind of thing, with some bigger trees and vegetation. Bear about 45 degrees left, so generally NE, and pick up a doubletrack quasi-jeep road. It's very faint at first.
    - This will take you out to the new road/parkway...go left and up that about 1/4 mile, and look for the shade ramada on the opposite side (along the path that runs along North). Cut across a dirt road-ish connector that is about 150 yards long, and head to the ramada.
    - Pick up the North's Ocotillo trail right there (in a few yards), and go either way. At that point, you're more than halfway along on Ocotillo, if you were doing the North loop CCW.
    -Coming back, "just" reverse the directions. Keys are going to the 2nd ramada on Ocotillo, cutting across the road, taking it down to where you see the faint dirt/jeep road on the right, then heading in and angling towards the water hole, then going right (west) back to that gate at the bottom of Bobcat.

It all actually works real well, and is very nice, direct, all-dirt connection of North and South.

Here's the track from a recent Strava ride, showing the connection:
    Bike Ride Profile | North/South Sonoran Double - all CCW. Just a good, tough long ride... near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Thanks
    Here is an easy way via the secret riverbed trail. Off the bobcat but very easy to miss.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Saturday Morning Fever near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava