Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Vincit qui patitur

SOMO Strava$$holes

Not all STRAVA users.
    Just the ones that don't follow trails rules. i.e. Yielding to uphill riders.
    I'm sure this will piss someone off but I really don't care
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Not yielding has nothing to do with Strava. It was invented long before the Internet.

livin' the dream......
    And you know with certainty that they were using Strava? Not excusing bad trail manners, but blaming Strava is a bit of stretch unless you are 100% sure they were using it. Riders with poor manners probably had them before Strava came on the scene.

Vincit qui patitur
    Flying down the trails drafting each other with no regard to anyone or anything else is a pretty good assumption STRAVA. Or just plain A-holes
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    I used to crap on Strava users, but I've been using it for every ride lately. It's a good way to track your mileage and see if you're maybe getting faster.

Meatbomb
    I yield to everyone on the trail.. I'm typically not in a real big hurry when I ride.

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
    Flying down the trails drafting each other with no regard to anyone or anything else is a pretty good assumption STRAVA. Or just plain A-holes

Maybe they were fueling with Gatorade? That G2 got them all fired up and they are now in a mad DH rage and riding like fools. Got to assume SOMETHING is in that bottle, right? But again, YOU DON'T KNOW.

How you tie this to Strava, or anything other then they were riding like a$$ hats is beyond me.

mtbr member
    If you get a KOM it sends the previous KOM holder an email saying it was stolen. Cool stuff!

mtbr member
    I use strava to verify that I am not the fastest. That is just too much pressure to hold KOM.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

Shift less, Pedal more.
    I was using Strava there Wednesday night, going uphill, and not one out of the 10 downhill riders I passed yeilded.

I guess they were using Strava too.

But in my experiences, not many people yeild to the uphill rider.
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So who are these people who fly down the trail and almost take you out because they won't move over a inch for the people slogging uphill? Aggro racer types? The inconsiderate self centered among us? Both? Its an attitude that may be fueled by Strava but certainly did not originate with it.

My bars have been clipped before and now I brace every time a rider flies past. Anyone been knocked off their bike yet?

mtbr member
    I am on Strava and like the ride feedback. It is great fun seeing where I did well on a ride and where I did not. I even like "competing" with others on segments. However it is of for fun so there is no point in being rude on the trails. I don't think Strava makes people nasty and unyielding on trails. Blaming Strava is an excuse for bad behavior. Lets face it.. some rider are a-holes. Strava or not.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I just had deja vu from 6 months ago.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

skilldestę
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I just had deja vu from 6 months ago.
    3 out of 5 readers knew you were going to say this. The other 2 are going to fast to stop and read it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post

Yeah and all those people who get in car crashes while not paying attention must have been texting. And all those people on welfare must be black or mexican. And...do you get my point yet? Strava doesn't strafe people, people strafe people.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I am on Strava and like the ride feedback. It is great fun seeing where I did well on a ride and where I did not. I even like "competing" with others on segments. However it is of for fun so there is no point in being rude on the trails. I don't think Strava makes people nasty and unyielding on trails. Blaming Strava is an excuse for bad behavior. Lets face it.. some rider are a-holes. Strava or not.
    That about sums it up.

mtbr member
    yielding depends on the width of the trail and grade of the climb...

for example I yielded climbers on BCT where the trail is a foot wide in places. and can be steep.. but on sonoran with 7-8 feet trail width I never had to yield....

Strava is useful for mapping your rides and shows your weakspots...especially when you tend to ride alone like I do and have no one to compare to

Paste eater
    I <3 stava and do not take it serious at all.

A Fat Kid :. | Cyclist | Strava

Meatbomb
    Toss an elbow next time.

Vincit qui patitur
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Yeah and all those people who get in car crashes while not paying attention must have been texting. And all those people on welfare must be black or mexican. And...do you get my point yet? Strava doesn't strafe people, people strafe people.
    I do get your point. I was just extremely pissed since I went down too. And the trail was only about a foot wide and I went down trying to steer clear of them. When I went down I didn't even get a second look from them.
    I was so f--ing pissed.
    And yes there a lot of just plain a-holes out there.
    My post was more of a vent.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I picked up Strava recently, but only after running into a group of guys at the top of some flow, hearing them talk about their strava times, and then when pulling away hear them say "we better give him a second otherwise we will have to try and pass him when we catch up".

At the end of the segment I sat there and waited for 2-3 minutes before they caught up.
    "This fish who keeps on swimming, is the first to chill upstream" - 311

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juggles View Post
    .. "we better give him a second otherwise we will have to try and pass him when we catch up"...
    Hey at least they waited a bit rather than just trying to ride your butt on the segment.

I did a ride couple weeks back and caught a guy twice. He left before me and I passed him on downhill section when he stopped for some reason. Not really sure as he was off the trail when rode past. Unfortunately shortly after I heard so noises in my drive train and since I just replace the chainrings and adjusted the rear derailuer I wanted to check it out before I went much farther. Anyway. I stopped and he pass me. Of course my bike was fine and about 30 seconds later I caught him and had to wait behind him on the downhill. Eventually we got to a slight climb and a wide spot and rode past and never saw him again. Not sure if he thought I was an a-hole for stopping and then, riding his butt and then re-passing or not. If he knew I was logging the ride on Strava he could have blamed that...

You can't please all of the people all the time. Best advice is treat other riders like you wish to be treated.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    You know, this thread grinds my gears. I was a selfish, mean, abrasive, a-hole long before Strava was even a glint in some Korean nerd's eye. To insinuate that Strava has anything to do with me being the POS trail bully that I am, well, that just makes me question my whole identity.

Vincit qui patitur
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    You know, this thread grinds my gears. I was a selfish, mean, abrasive, a-hole long before Strava was even a glint in some Korean nerd's eye. To insinuate that Strava has anything to do with me being the POS trail bully that I am, well, that just makes me question my whole identity.

Maybe I should have said "Eazy_Ehole"
    We all know you're an a-hole!
    BTW What's new and any time frame as to your return?
    How's your Dad?
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I tend to agree that Strava is simply an enabling mechanism for bad manners, like crystal meth....
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast