SoMo ride time ?

So, I'm toying with the idea of driving (early, to beat traffic) and parking at the SoMo party location, then riding to the Pima Canyon TH. A plausible route looks like up the road to Corona Loma, then across on Desert Classic.

Feedback and a ride time estimate (presuming a chillin and drillin pace) from the experts would be appreciated.

(The cooler is gonna be well stocked for the day!)

wrecking crew
    I could be wrong, but you could do the road to Buena Vista and down National. I would think that would be faster. But I'm not sure how long that would take.
    ~~~

Too many Sedonuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    I could be wrong, but you could do the road to Buena Vista and down National. I would think that would be faster. But I'm not sure how long that would take.
    I would say 2-2.5 hours for my fat slow butt to do that on fresh legs and at a nice comfy pace. DC one-way is about an hour for me, again at a nice comfy pace. I think the road takes me 45 minutes to an hour from the San Juan gate to BV on a 35-pound bike. But the times I've done it have usually been on the return leg of a coast to coast thing, so not with fresh legs. My $0.02.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

pedaller
    Su-ling's route would make the most sense as far as trails/road (up to BV then down National) with about 45 minutes up the road and 30 minutes down National but isn't there a route around the north side using the canal to get back to Pima??
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

sixsixtysix
    If you cruise back down Central Ave to the canal and take that all the way to 46th st, then up and through Beverly Canyon its pretty quick. I live over that way and ride over to Spokes on Central from 46th all the time for post ride beers, usually takes about 20min from 46th to Central.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    Su-ling's route would make the most sense as far as trails/road (up to BV then down National) with about 45 minutes up the road and 30 minutes down National but isn't there a route around the north side using the canal to get back to Pima??

Cool. I want to ride trail, but 2ish hours riding might mean an earlier start than I'd want. Perhaps.

Thanks everyone.

Tucson, AZ
    Important announcement about SoMo: A, B and C rides will be meeting at the demo Yeti and Rocky Mountain Demo vans toward the entrance (after the spikes/small building). The Rocky Mountain demo van is a sprinter and the Yeti demo has a big trailer.

parenting for gnarness
    Dave are you just wanting to drop the car and get the most expedient way to the TH, or do you want more Somo before we go C2C2C on Somo. 666's route is the easiest and can be faster still by taking side streets instead of XC trail. Su Ling's will get you the things you will miss on the C2C2C. Figure for the A ride about 4-5 hrs spin time.

I'm parking at Pima Canyon and driving over end-of-day. Against traffic, it will be about 15 min drive.

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    Dave are you just wanting to drop the car and get the most expedient way to the TH, or do you want more Somo before we go C2C2C on Somo.

The idea was to ride a bit more, and beat traffic with an early start. I f-ing hate traffic.

And I want to ride alllllll ddaaaaaaayyyyy. Bringing the big pack, and loads of food for the partay.

pedaller
    By the time you get to central PHX, you will have seen the "traffic". From there to Pima you'll be going against the traffic. It should be clear sailing the rest of the way...
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    The idea was to ride a bit more, and beat traffic with an early start. I f-ing hate traffic.

And I want to ride alllllll ddaaaaaaayyyyy. Bringing the big pack, and loads of food for the partay.

well, Su Ling's idea and then hooking up with DurtGurl's groun in the AM would make your day quite meaty. We'd be climbing that road twice, at 45 min per climb. Corona Loma will likely take 30 min, but its nasty if you are alone. Then 30 more on Desert Classic to the meeting.

You could climb 24th St. (~1.5 miles 1000 feet gnar) and down Mormon for more like 1.5 hrs of riding.

Or canals to 43rd, then up and over Javalina. That'd be more like an hour and nothing too nuts, an excellent warm up hour.

I don't know how well you know Somo, or feel about riding some of the harder stuff alone. I'll pm you my cell if you want to optionize after your drive down in the AM.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    well, Su Ling's idea and then hooking up with DurtGurl's groun in the AM would make your day quite meaty. We'd be climbing that road twice, at 45 min per climb. Corona Loma will likely take 30 min, but its nasty if you are alone. Then 30 more on Desert Classic to the meeting.

You could climb 24th St. (~1.5 miles 1000 feet gnar) and down Mormon for more like 1.5 hrs of riding.

Or canals to 43rd, then up and over Javalina. That'd be more like an hour and nothing too nuts, an excellent warm up hour.

I don't know how well you know Somo, or feel about riding some of the harder stuff alone. I'll pm you my cell if you want to optionize after your drive down in the AM.
    err... stupid tired drunks should not give directions... sorry I thought su ling suggested down Corona Loma so i'm making no sense. The C2C2C will likely descend National, so you'd basically be doing half that ride twice. Disregard I ever mentioned Su Ling's route. Your initial plan of road to Corona Loma to Desert Classic = 2 hrs, or the other options I suggested above.

Members who have read this thread: 0