mtbr member

Smile SoMo ride sunday 11/23

Meet at Warpaint trail head 8:00am. Will ride west up to the helipad then down to telegraph. From there we will take Desert Foothills parkway west about 1/2 mile to the start of a little known trail witch gos for about three miles ending at the ruins of an old house. This will be a fun ride to a part of South Mountain Park few have seen. If you want to join, post up
    Last edited by Kortface; 11-20-2008 at 09:51 AM.

Kathleen in AZ
    Sounds fun and I'd love to see this trail west of Telegraph. I'm not yet sure of my Sunday plans but I'm thinking 7:30AM might be pretty painful for me after Goat Camp on Saturday.

mtbr member
    Sure, we could start later

NardoSS
    Trail west of telegraph you say? I'm very intrigued. It's a little too early to commit but I may skip the road ride for this if I can.

It's a shame that the homes are so close to the mountain that nothing can be created at this point due to a handful of homes that wanted a nice view of nothing special.

mtbr member
    I rode out to the start of the trail I think you'll be taking them on. I would normally join, but made another comitment this afternoon.

When you hit the telegraph p-lot you go down the hill unitl the road bends left, hop the water retention basin and there is a trial towards the mountian by the houses on the "right". eventually this turns left like an extention of DC. how far does it go?

can one loop around the south side of SoMo??? =)
    b

mtbr member
    Yeah thats it. It's about 3 miles from the pit to the ruins. I haven't explored much past the ruins, but on google earth it looks like there are some trails leading off west from the ruins.

I am Bob

house

I was there a couple weeks ago after coming down a Spur of National. cool spot.
    I'm out of town this weekend or I'd join ya!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kortface
    Sure, we could start later
    Did you decide on start time yet?

I want to go and see the ruins but have to back at East end of Classic by 11:00am.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BritMtnBiker
    Did you decide on start time yet?

I want to go and see the ruins but have to back at East end of Classic by 11:00am.

I'm thinking ether 8:00 or 8:30.

Kathleen in AZ
    I'm thinking ether 8:00 or 8:30.
    Although I'd definitely like to join you for this ride, I'm a maybe for Sunday so do not plan the time around my wishes for a late start. If not this time, I'll catch up with you on this ride some other time.

mtbr member
    Ok start time will be 8:00 am.

Dave
    Meet at Warpaint trail head 8:00am. Will ride west up to the helipad then down to telegraph. From there we will take Desert Foothills parkway west about 1/2 mile to the start of a little known trail witch gos for about three miles ending at the ruins of an old house. This will be a fun ride to a part of South Mountain Park few have seen. If you want to join, post up

Refresh my memory, warpaint trailhead is that on DC or where it runs out towards SMC bike shop? Where are you parking? I might park at Fry's/SMC and ride in that way which runs into Warpaint then follow that to the intersection of WP and DC.
    After the helipad trail are you dropping down to DC via the goatpath?

Dave
    I need to ride more and work less.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast
    Refresh my memory, warpaint trailhead is that on DC or where it runs out towards SMC bike shop? Where are you parking? I might park at Fry's/SMC and ride in that way which runs into Warpaint then follow that to the intersection of WP and DC.
    After the helipad trail are you dropping down to DC via the goatpath?

Dave
    Yes its the one by SMC. I'm riding from my house to warpaint. but there's plenty of space to park at warpaint.

Yes we can do the helipad and take the goat trail back down. or if no one wants to do the helipad we can do somthing else, loop around secret or ride to the oasis by the helipad.
    Last edited by Kortface; 11-20-2008 at 05:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Perfect. Im in.

Will be biking down from East end of Classic. Will meet on the road by the big chains!!

Im up for helipad and the goat trail and/or secret trails.

Brit.

Kathleen in AZ
    I'd really like to join you. I haven't ridden to the helipad in the daylight hours in ages - it'll be like a whole new trail! And I'd love a tour of the trails west of Telegraph. But it all depends on how beat up I get on Saturday so don't wait for me.

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    I'd really like to join you. I haven't ridden to the helipad in the daylight hours in ages - it'll be like a whole new trail! And I'd love a tour of the trails west of Telegraph. But it all depends on how beat up I get on Saturday so don't wait for me.
    You be careful out there DG make sure you wear your armor (like you would forget). Say hi to all those folks for me, I won't be doing GC as you might have guessed.

Hope to see you guys there at 8 am. Tryin to sneak in 2 days of riding this weekend, that will make 7 straight this week. Riding to work in the morns this week has been great. Love the high 40's and low 50's (good old New England boy).
    I'm up for the heli hell trail I haven't been up it since last winter when I first got the the Dosniner. I think I'll park at Frys and ride up the cement stream bed to the chains. Since thats the only way I know how to get there.
    Dave

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast
    You be careful out there DG make sure you wear your armor (like you would forget). Say hi to all those folks for me, I won't be doing GC as you might have guessed.

Hope to see you guys there at 8 am. Tryin to sneak in 2 days of riding this weekend, that will make 7 straight this week. Riding to work in the morns this week has been great. Love the high 40's and low 50's (good old New England boy).
    I'm up for the heli hell trail I haven't been up it since last winter when I first got the the Dosniner. I think I'll park at Frys and ride up the cement stream bed to the chains. Since thats the only way I know how to get there.
    Dave
    The Warpaint entrance is easy to find. Get to the Knox/36th St 4-way intersection (with the big church) and head west on Knox. Take a right at Warpaint and drive up the hill till you see big chains on the left. Park, ride.

I too have been enjoying daily commutes to work as long as I dress for the cold. If I'm wearing arm and leg warmers now, what will I have to wear in Jan/Feb? Brrrrrr......

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    I too have been enjoying daily commutes to work as long as I dress for the cold. If I'm wearing arm and leg warmers now, what will I have to wear in Jan/Feb? Brrrrrr......
    Thanks for the directions K.

I just started wearing full tights two days ago. You could try one of these I think you would look real cute in it. It has spots for your Ipod earbuds too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I'll prolly be there.

And hey Dave!

Here's a google link for Warpaint Access

Sam

i like cheese.
    Lefty all better?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bike=good
    Lefty all better?
    Parts finally came in. Crossing my fingers they can get to it today. Dood, it's been four weeks.

Dave
    Well guys I'm out. Have a good ride. I'll have to try this some other day.
    No 7 days in a row for me. Damn ...

mtbr member
    I got my bike back, so I'll be there.

Sam

mtbr member
    Hey Kort and Brit, great ride today.

Thanks for showing me that trail out the ruins. It's actually a pretty nice cross country trail.

Today was the first punctured tube I've had in years. Before the ride started, I had to drop in a paper thin tube.

That and my derailleur is fully toast.

Not the most interesting video, and prolly the most annoying sound track to a vid I would dare to mix in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    Hey Kort and Brit, great ride today.

Thanks for showing me that trail out the ruins. It's actually a pretty nice cross country trail.

Today was the first punctured tube I've had in years. Before the ride started, I had to drop in a paper thin tube.

That and my derailleur is fully toast.

Not the most interesting video, and prolly the most annoying sound track to a vid I would dare to mix in.
    Great to have met you and Kort.

Fun ride out to the ruins. Thanks for the video clips. Sorry you didnt have more exciting subjects to film!!

Sorry had to blaze home, but made it back right at 11:00am. Had great ride on the way home.

Sorry about your derailleur. Hopefully will be easier to fix than the fork!!