Thread: SoMo questions

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

SoMo questions

Yes, I did read the sticky thread... well... most of it. Am not finding specifically what I am looking for and I think I confused the Search of the thread.

So, I pose my question here.

Am looking to do some intermediate rides on SoMo from either the Foothills trailhead or the 48th&Guad trailhead. From what I can gather, Desert Classic may be my best bet. Or so I assume.

I am riding fully rigid for now, so something not too over-the-top will probably be my best bet.

I am up for whatever suggestions. Whatever trail in this range (of difficulty) that can get me to any "look outs" is what I am looking for.

Am trying to go out this afternoon around 4pm, so whatever info I can get between now and then will be great. Otherwise I will be at the 48th&Guad trailhead trying to figure it out on the spot.

mtbr member
    Yes, Desert Classic sounds perfect for you. There should be plenty of people to steer you in the right direction. Enjoy the cool weather!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Mormon trail from the 48th st. and guadalupe entrance.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'm riding desert classic out to the helipad at four with a few newish riders. Helipad is every thing you described.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Mormon loop trail definitely has the vistas you want of the Phoenix valley. That being said, it is significantly more challenging than Desert Classic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I second trying Mormon trail. That will get you to some nice look outs. From Pima parking lot (48th and guad) you will want to take the fire road up to the trail head. There is a map at the top of the fire road. There are multiple trails that you can take, but I suggest you follow the Mormon trail, and that will get you some nice views of PHX. I would also suggest doing it as a out and back. Have fun it was very nice out there this morning.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Perfect. Thanks guys!

The map from the phoenix.gov site for South Mountain shows I could pick up the backend of Desert Classic from the Foothills trailhead, but I have no idea from there. This may be an option for me in the future as I live in the Foothills. I've hiked the trails from the 48th&Guad (Pima?) trailhead before, but my worry is that I'll get lost and/or onto a trail more advanced than my riding ability and/or bike can handle.

I think for today I'll just be at the trailhead and see what info I can get.

Members who have read this thread: 0