Newbie...yeah that's it

SOMO "Loops" Help

Well, I tried to piece together a Loop style ride out at SoMo today. Here's what I rode, Mormon, up to Javelina to Beverly Canyon to Desert Classic water tank back to the 48th St parking lot . And yeah, I walked up and down most of that part of Beverly Canyon to Desert Classic, after you cross the service road.
    Now here's what I wanted to ask, I really like taking Mormon up to National, but I want more miles, since I really don't have the skill to ride National, going further is not an option. Is there a loop that I can do that will get in Mormon and leave out National? If you know of any maps, please post or link. The ones on the SoMo website are vague and not really helpful.

AKA shitbird
    Once you ride up Mormon you're pretty much stuck with National. The only other trail to access from the top of Mormon is the "other" Mormon(24th st) and that is def. not what you're looking for.

Here's a somo map: http://phoenix.gov/parks/hiksogud.html
    JRA

Newbie...yeah that's it
    So pertty much suck it up and start trying to ride National is my only option once I get to that point on Mormon. Looks like I'm gonna need to get some armor sooner than I expected. I do have to say I was surprised by Javelina, not difficult, but with the exposure and some of the sharp turns, kinda intimidating. IT was a great day to ride though, and I saw alot of people out there, hiking,biking, running, I even saw two people on horses on my way down from the water tank on Desert classic. Lots of fun!

Kathleen in AZ
    Take a look at Epicrider Dale's map of SoMo. Not all the trails are labeled, but you can get a good idea of all the options. http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/di...album=54&pos=7

AKA shitbird
    Try National and just take it easy. No shame in riding slow or walking a section if you don't feel comfortable.
    JRA

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSunGod
    IT was a great day to ride though, and I saw alot of people out there, hiking,biking, running, I even saw two people on horses on my way down from the water tank on Desert classic. Lots of fun!
    I'm glad you enjoyed all the people. I've never seen it more crowded than today and can't say I was tickled about it. As a side note, I came to a stop to let a guy with 2 dogs pass. He thanked me and told me I was the first biker all day who yield to him. Yikes!

I like loops, and as an intermediate rider, I haven't found a way to make loops work on South Mountain (Telegraph and Corona De Loma are the critical connector trails and they are harry). I either do out/back on Desert Classic (if you love to climb, check out the Helipad alternative ending), or I do up Mormon Loop to National (bear right), then up to the waterfall, and then up about two more miles to a saddle, then back down. To add 1.5 miles, exit Mormon Loop left (instead of right) onto National, ride almost a mile until it starts turning advanced, then turn around and continue up to the waterfall, and beyond. You can also easily append Javelina to this out/back ride. If you hate Beverly Canyon (its not hard), avoid it altogether by parking at 46th street instead of 48th street, go up Javelina and then connect to Mormon and continue climbing.

I now love dividing the mountain this way b/c I find the smoother Desert Classic more fun on my rigid single speed, while I need gears/suspension for Javelina/Mormon/National.

Btw,the portions of National I mention are intermediate (except for 2-3 spots), like Mormon, and very fun. Check 'em out soon.
    ride natty ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    So pertty much suck it up and start trying to ride National is my only option once I get to that point on Mormon. Looks like I'm gonna need to get some armor sooner than I expected. !
    landon and and probably eabos will be riding our usual national up and down about three times if you wanna see what lines to take. i was terrified of nat the first time and then i just tried some stuff and pussed out on other stuff. still dont wanna take the stumpy off the waterfall. im very top heavy on that bike and i get sandy vag when that happens, thats for the big hit on order..shhhh...probably around ten am ish

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Well, I tried to piece together a Loop style ride out at SoMo today. Here's what I rode, Mormon, up to Javelina to Beverly Canyon to Desert Classic water tank back to the 48th St parking lot . And yeah, I walked up and down most of that part of Beverly Canyon to Desert Classic, after you cross the service road.
    Now here's what I wanted to ask, I really like taking Mormon up to National, but I want more miles, since I really don't have the skill to ride National, going further is not an option. Is there a loop that I can do that will get in Mormon and leave out National? If you know of any maps, please post or link. The ones on the SoMo website are vague and not really helpful.
    Don't forget the golf course (east/west) loops. They start from behind the northern ramada at the 48th street lot.

You can do a loop around those, then head down Beverly Canyon, up Javelina, then up Mormon Loop as normal.

There's a quite a few trails that start from the same spot...do some exploring.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    East Loop, up Javelina, over to Mormon, up to Lower National, back over and down Javelina, East Loop back to car?
    Can you hear me now?

mtbr member
    I find it kinda of funny that nobody ever mentions what a great ride Mormon is going back down . I have been lately climbing up lower National and coming down Mormon just because it it so much fun to fly down it and you can see traffic on it for a good distance , if your not Confident with going down National keep going down Mormon until your good on that trail and then start doing National (Slowly at first) and in know time you well have it down. Armour rules for any ride going up the mountain I usually fall more going up then down !!!

And does anyone have any idea if we can clean up Corona Deloma so it would be rideable up It is nothing but a scree field after a couple hundred yards coming up from DC any ideas would be cool.

Another trail that I would like to see if their is a connector loop to is Ridge line trail that is on the south of the fire road . Is there any way to get that trail from National and is it Rideable.

We de MAMMY NUNS!
    Quote Originally Posted by A.P.B
    I find it kinda of funny that nobody ever mentions what a great ride Mormon is going back down . I have been lately climbing up lower National and coming down Mormon just because it it so much fun to fly down it and you can see traffic on it for a good distance , if your not Confident with going down National keep going down Mormon until your good on that trail and then start doing National (Slowly at first) and in know time you well have it down. Armour rules for any ride going up the mountain I usually fall more going up then down !!!

And does anyone have any idea if we can clean up Corona Deloma so it would be rideable up It is nothing but a scree field after a couple hundred yards coming up from DC any ideas would be cool.

Another trail that I would like to see if their is a connector loop to is Ridge line trail that is on the south of the fire road . Is there any way to get that trail from National and is it Rideable.
    Prolly no mention of up and down Mormon 'cause he's looking for "loops."

Ridgeline goes between Javelina and Beverly Canyon and it's totally rideable It starts (or ends) at the top of the hill on Javelina where Javelina and Mormon Loop intersect. I've made the hill several times from Javelina, but it's quite loose. Going up from Beverly is harder for me. I just can't seem to get it!!
    I've nothing to add....

mtbr member
    Riding up mormon to national and continuing on to telegraph is not that difficult. Just take your time and enjoy the trail. Practice the sections that are more difficult for you. On the way down, just walk the waterfall. You can probably ride more than you give yourself credit for.
    A good ride out DC - about a mile after the water tank, turn right on black rock - it's a blast.
    When blackrock comes to a T - go right to corona or left to classic. War paint intersects Classic around the same area. It's gas to ride, pretty easy with some rollers and bermed turns.
    Have fun!
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

Newbie...yeah that's it
    Lots of great options here, and with the map Dirtgurl linked I think I can piece together a decent ride. And I think I will start trying to ride National, there's only one way to get better and that's to challenge yourself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya_Hozna
    Prolly no mention of up and down Mormon 'cause he's looking for "loops."

Ridgeline goes between Javelina and Beverly Canyon and it's totally rideable It starts (or ends) at the top of the hill on Javelina where Javelina and Mormon Loop intersect. I've made the hill several times from Javelina, but it's quite loose. Going up from Beverly is harder for me. I just can't seem to get it!!

I said on the South side going up the fire road their is a ridge line trail on that side but do not know where it hooks in at up towards hidden valley.

I know he was talking about a loop but their really is none unless you go out to telegraph pass. I was putting my opinion that going down Mormon is underrated and a great way to gain confidence before hitting National .

Ridin' Dirty
    Another option is take the fireroad, then javelina, beverly, golf course loop, back to car.

Or DC to the end, hike up Telegraph Pass to National, down Mormon to fireroad.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

We de MAMMY NUNS!
    Quote Originally Posted by A.P.B
    I said on the South side going up the fire road their is a ridge line trail on that side but do not know where it hooks in at up towards hidden valley.

I know he was talking about a loop but their really is none unless you go out to telegraph pass. I was putting my opinion that going down Mormon is underrated and a great way to gain confidence before hitting National .
    Oops. Sorry. You said South side and Ridge Line and I just heard Ridge Line.
    I've nothing to add....

mtbr member
    Their is trail there it is not on any trail map I have seen it might hook in by Hidden valley. Going to try and find it this week .

I am Bob
    I say this every time, but starting SoMo rides at the 46th street lot (just south of baseline) is a great way to get more miles with less people. you can start the east loop there, or head up javalina or beverly canyon. really fun stuff IMO.

mtbr member
    Just how technical a rating would anyone give National ? for me i think its just above geronimo - but i'm only tlkin from BV to the bottom east. I'm just interested as i get to soak most stuff up in 7" of travel so often don't notice, the waterfall is like a set of berms on the way down and a stepladder on the way up, i guess i need to get back on a hardtail to my roots. I just love though how the different bikes require such different line strategies. Whats the other side of National like ?

Sungod, you should just start tryin to ride National it's a great trail, just don't hammer it full out, experience is the only way to improve your skills IMO but Javelina from 46th to mormon loop to National up to BV lot then back down National is nice.
    Last edited by Mrweelz; 03-04-2007 at 07:27 PM.
    [I][SIZE=1]Speeding beneath a field of blue like a silver speedbird one, all your life's below you, pouring fast to a hazy di

Newbie...yeah that's it
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman
    I say this every time, but starting SoMo rides at the 46th street lot (just south of baseline) is a great way to get more miles with less people. you can start the east loop there, or head up javalina or beverly canyon. really fun stuff IMO.
    I noticed that there was actually parking at the 46th St lot hmmm...............

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrweelz
    Just how technical a rating would anyone give National ? for me i think its just above geronimo - but i'm only tlkin from BV to the bottom east. I'm just interested as i get to soak most stuff up in 7" of travel so often don't notice, the waterfall is like a set of berms on the way down and a stepladder on the way up, i guess i need to get back on a hardtail to my roots. I just love though how the different bikes require such different line strategies. Whats the other side of National like ?

Sungod, you should just start tryin to ride National it's a great trail, just don't hammer it full out, experience is the only way to improve your skills IMO but Javelina from 46th to mormon loop to National up to BV lot then back down National is nice.
    Maybe I've just ridden National too many times but Geronimo is a step or two above National to me. There's nothing too difficult about Geronimo but it seems like the techy stuff comes at you way quicker than on National. More gnar per mile. I wish the bottom of Geronimo was in a better place near a "back up" option. I rode/hiked back up it the other day and it kinda sucked.
    JRA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    Maybe I've just ridden National too many times but Geronimo is a step or two above National to me. There's nothing too difficult about Geronimo but it seems like the techy stuff comes at you way quicker than on National. More gnar per mile. I wish the bottom of Geronimo was in a better place near a "back up" option. I rode/hiked back up it the other day and it kinda sucked.
    Know what you mean, i think for me that National is that more busy and i stop more for people that i never get up to a huge rolling speed where at geronimo its almost always empty so you can get the speed up, however i'm on the other side where i've ridden geronimo more than national. I was out there last friday, hiked up mormon, rode up national, down geronimo, HIKED/rode back up geronimo then down national the whole way - yeah its a shame geronimo doesn't have better link ups at the bottom. Good trails though !
    [I][SIZE=1]Speeding beneath a field of blue like a silver speedbird one, all your life's below you, pouring fast to a hazy di

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I noticed that there was actually parking at the 46th St lot hmmm...............
    just watch your timing. if you try to park there to head to work in the evening like i do baseline is stupid packed to try to make it to the EV

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Telegraph Pass

Telegraph is the only way from desert classic up to the top (to national or other trails on the top) correct?

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbone
    Telegraph is the only way from desert classic up to the top (to national or other trails on the top) correct?
    Nope, you can take Corona Loma or Old Man as well, both would be filled with hike a bike.