mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Sometimes the short rides are the best.

Original plan was to do a solo ride at goat Camp today, but i got lazy and as the morning progressed i was content with just staying at home. My riding buddy/ teammate came to the rescue and we decided to do a short ride at FINS this morning. The ride was as casual as they come, stopping for pics, talking and joking the whole way. For some reason, most rides end up being a hammer fest. Its the nature of being a man I guess. But like I said this one was different. I only have a single pic taken by my friend, but to me it says it all.
    Sometimes the short rides are the best.-fins-panorama-1024x223-.jpg

Always in the wrong gear
    For some reason this comes to mind!

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by 06whitetaco View Post
    The ride was as casual as they come, stopping for pics, talking and joking the whole way. For some reason, most rides end up being a hammer fest. Its the nature of being a man I guess. But like I said this one was different.
    I guess I'd better have the Mrs check my privates when I get home 'cause a hammerfest is the last thing I'm looking for in a ride. I ride to have fun. And attempting to kill myself is usually not a ton of fun. But, I know I'm in the minority...

I do gotta get out to FINS soon, though.

Ahhh the pain....
    Agreed....I ride solo mostly and find that due to my type A personality, I end up in a hammerfest against myself. I've discovered that a 2 hour ride with some friends where stops are frequent, are a great way to rediscover the joy in riding. I've seen things like rock formations, trees, and such on these rides that I've ridden by tens of times and missed simply because I was focusing on the strip of dirt in front of my front wheel.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Agreed....I ride solo mostly and find that due to my type A personality, I end up in a hammerfest against myself. I've discovered that a 2 hour ride with some friends where stops are frequent, are a great way to rediscover the joy in riding. I've seen things like rock formations, trees, and such on these rides that I've ridden by tens of times and missed simply because I was focusing on the strip of dirt in front of my front wheel.
    You're welcome.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06whitetaco View Post
    Original plan was to do a solo ride at goat Camp today, but i got lazy and as the morning progressed i was content with just staying at home. My riding buddy/ teammate came to the rescue and we decided to do a short ride at FINS this morning. The ride was as casual as they come, stopping for pics, talking and joking the whole way. For some reason, most rides end up being a hammer fest. Its the nature of being a man I guess. But like I said this one was different. I only have a single pic taken by my friend, but to me it says it all.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fins panorama (1024x223).jpg 
Views:	490 
Size:	204.9 KB 
ID:	737120
    Great pic. I am a big fan of FINS. But I also like the White Tanks, and I have not been able to clear all of Goat Camp going down. Are my goals realistic when I say I want to clean it all?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    Great pic. I am a big fan of FINS. But I also like the White Tanks, and I have not been able to clear all of Goat Camp going down. Are my goals realistic when I say I want to clean it all?
    Nope, not realistic.... Therefore we should hit FINS this weekend or perhaps scout Verrado. Did you and Ben ride Monday?

EDR
    I ride mostly because I enjoy the types of rides you described. Hammer Fest is just not my thing. I fell in love with mtb'ing for the adventure, for the enjoyment of being outdoors, for the anticipation of cresting the next the hill with the unknown laying beyond. For all the reasons you mentioned and more.

I guess I'm in the minority as well.

No Clue Crew
    Of course it's realistic... Maybe not for you in the next week or month. But it's realistic. I've yet to hit Goat Camp but will definitely be giving it hell soon this winter season. I hope to clean it all although I now I won't possibly do it all in one shot; top to bottom. Woldn't want to. Gotta break and session some of the features. And rest...

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I used to hammerfest..got burned out and quit racing in the early 90's. Now all I wanna do is ride..xc/dh/road.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm with you Dog. The only time I go fast these days is when I let gravity work its magic
    Because, one is never enough.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I believe hammerfest have there place. Some trails have a maximum fun factor that is faster than I can ride so I hammer to get as close as I can. I also like the variety. I feel the same way about climbing rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Of course it's realistic... Maybe not for you in the next week or month. But it's realistic. I've yet to hit Goat Camp but will definitely be giving it hell soon this winter season. I hope to clean it all although I now I won't possibly do it all in one shot; top to bottom. Woldn't want to. Gotta break and session some of the features. And rest...
    Maybe I should follow you in one day to see how to tackle some of it. Heck I ride there from my house, so my excuses are limited.

No Clue Crew
    Maybe I should follow you in one day to see how to tackle some of it. Heck I ride there from my house, so my excuses are limited.
    Pretty sure my riding buddies will back me up on this one but if you follow me you'll likely only learn what NOT to do.

Plus, I haven't ridden Goat Camp yet so I'd certainly fail a majority just 'cause I haven't seen it before.