parenting for gnarness

Some pics from a trip through the San Juans

did this trip 2 yrs ago, but without bikes. This time i got in 4 awesome rides - the Animas River Trail in Durango, Portland->Chief Ouray Mine->Cascade in Ouray, bike park in Telluride, then See Forever->Wasatch Connector->Bear Creek in Telluride (thanks Cesslinger!). Man I love these small colorado towns - lots of friendly, outdoorsy people. Telluride is awesome tons of riders of every flavor to chat with and share stoke. Lots more pics on my blog, with heavier doses of hiking and family pics. Also some pics from the Petrified Forest NP.

Durango

2010_0814_durango_01_blog

2010_0815_durango_01_blog

2010_0815_durango_04_blog

2010_0815_durango_05_blog

Ouray

2010_0816_ouray_05_blog

2010_0817_ouray_02_blog

2010_0817_ouray_05_blog

2010_0817_ouray_12_blog

2010_0817_ouray_10_blog

2010_0817_ouray_08_blog

Telluride

2010_0818_telluride_14_blog

2010_0820_telluride_03_blog

2010_0820_telluride_05_blog

2010_0820_telluride_06_blog

2010_0820_telluride_07_blog

2010_0820_telluride_08_blog

2010_0820_telluride_12_blog

2010_0820_telluride_14_blog

2010_0820_telluride_15_blog

2010_0820_telluride_19_blog

mtbr member
    Nice pics!!!!!!!

Telluride easily my favorite ski area.

We saw a bunch of that Indian Paint Brush when up at the Rocky Mt. National Park in July.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    That looks like some pretty good riding. That pic with your bike laying on the trail with the valley directly below is pretty wild. Not sure if my wife would approve of me taking shots of random beaver though . I hope she didn't give you too much trouble .
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit
    That looks like some pretty good riding. That pic with your bike laying on the trail with the valley directly below is pretty wild. Not sure if my wife would approve of me taking shots of random beaver though . I hope she didn't give you too much trouble .
    That's not a beaver. It's either a Lynx, bobcat, coyote, or gray wolf. (Actually, it's a marmet.)
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

"No Clue Crew"
    Nice shots !
    Man that looks like an awesome trip.

mtbr member
    Wow... never seen T-ride without snow before! I have to head up there in the summer next year. Nice pics!

"No Clue Crew"
    Nice beaver!!!! Is that a beaver???

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    Nice beaver!!!! Is that a beaver???
    I'm going with large ground squirrel now. Or gray wolf. I guess he's not in trouble after all.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Team Tortuga
    Nice pics!

Jealousy setting in but not for too long....we are headed to Fruita/Grand Junction in a few weeks with a possible trip kick off in Brian Head, UT.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Marmot!!!!

parenting for gnarness
    i didnt know what it was, i thought a porcupine cause someone mentioned they'd seen one, i didn't get a good look til viewing the pic and was skeered to get closer. I saw several of these guys on the descent.

never skied tride, but really want to now to see some of the places and trails covered in snow.

also, it looks like Baked is gone. big empty lot where they used to be.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    i didnt know what it was, i thought a porcupine cause someone mentioned they'd seen one, i didn't get a good look til viewing the pic and was skeered to get closer. I saw several of these guys on the descent.

never skied tride, but really want to now to see some of the places and trails covered in snow.

Nice pics...

I saw that beaver too. Those are bike park beavers. Mikey and I took a small break as we were descending and they had a fairly elaborate dam built up to look just like a booter!

mtbr member

It's a marmot. Wish I'd seen this thread two weeks ago but I was in the Telluride area then. There are several trails I could have pointed you to, one being Wilson's Mesa....if you like sucking wind! and for those that like epic rides there's the Dallas Creek Trail on the North side of the Sneffel's Mtn range. From my place to the Ouray Hot Springs is 44 miles, 19 or 20 road miles, the rest single track.

BiT has been gone for a couple of years now...too bad because they also had a shop in Ridgway which was only an 18 mile bike ride down the hill for breakfast. Crud, now I'm hungry
    Gary

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    Nice pics...

I saw that beaver too. Those are bike park beavers. Mikey and I took a small break as we were descending and they had a fairly elaborate dam built up to look just like a booter!
    you booted off a beaver damn and did not take a picture? you selfish bastiges.

i'm kinda glad you didn't tell me or i'd be looking for it. So the steep slot leading to the bridge on the cliff - did you ride it? I said nooooooooo to that one but the rest of that section was scary fun

drink coffee, ride.
    That looks great! -

6 more days, lookin' forward to it, and these photos make the anticipation grow

mtbr member

Tride is an awesome place to ski at! There is almost never a line at any of the lifts and there is so much terrain!! You would probably love the Black Iron Bowl/Gold Hill side of the mountain. Lots of good steeps and hike-to terrain out there.

I also heard about Baked! It burned down in February which sucks. I liked the sandwiches from there. I had just eaten there about a month before they burned down with a bunch of friends.

Az HS Cycling League

Wasatch Question...

Hey Cholla, could you tell me a little about the See Forever -> Wasatch Trail ride? It was in my plan to do it this year when we were there but ended up riding other stuff. It seems like a cool ride with decent elevation gain. How is the down hill to Bear Creek Falls? Is it all rideable? Thanks, I haven't been able to talk to someone firsthand who had done it.
    Support Arizona High School Cycling League
    www.arizonamtb.org

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by stew
    Hey Cholla, could you tell me a little about the See Forever -> Wasatch Trail ride? It was in my plan to do it this year when we were there but ended up riding other stuff. It seems like a cool ride with decent elevation gain. How is the down hill to Bear Creek Falls? Is it all rideable? Thanks, I haven't been able to talk to someone firsthand who had done it.
    totally worth it do it do it do it! an hour of solid solid effort to get up. the DH is all navigable, some stuff i did not ride. lots of places that can trip you up, and i went small. If you are a solid tech rider and stay within yourself you will be fine, unless exposure freaks you out. I had the 6inch bike and pads, and i think it was the funner choice vs the 4inch 29er, but either would work. some details and more pics toward the end here: http://chollaball.net/blog/2010/08/u...telluride.html

Az HS Cycling League

Very cool...

I really appreciate the insight. I definately will do it next year. I'll give it a go on my 130mm 29er. I have reasonable downhill ability but age now has me more cautious. I have hiked the very end near Bear Creek Falls and didn't know if the whole thing was like that. The pictures are great, too. Thanks again.

BTW, did you try Prospect Trail or Alta Lakes singletrack? Way cool as well.
    Support Arizona High School Cycling League
    www.arizonamtb.org

nodejitsu
    cool pics