aGo
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

some name calling on schultz trail

There was heavy traffic on the trail sat morning, as I was piecing my bike back together after going over the handle bars about 8 horse riders were coming down the trail. They pulled off to let some bikers pass there were some not so nice words exchanging.

Both sides seem to be from the area so I’ll let the locals chime in on whether it is normal to have horse traffic there on the weekend.

On a side note, I had just got my fluid changed on the brakes & they are responsive as one can be. Does anyone ever adjust the front brake to be a lot less responsive to prevent locking them up easily?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aGo View Post
    There was heavy traffic on the trail sat morning, as I was piecing my bike back together after going over the handle bars about 8 horse riders were coming down the trail. They pulled off to let some bikers pass there were some not so nice words exchanging.

Both sides seem to be from the area so I’ll let the locals chime in on whether it is normal to have horse traffic there on the weekend.

On a side note, I had just got my fluid changed on the brakes & they are responsive as one can be. Does anyone ever adjust the front brake to be a lot less responsive to prevent locking them up easily?
    I'll bet 8 equestrians created quite the dust cloud. Perhaps the mtn bikers that hoped to pass were overly frustrated. But no, it's not that normal to see horses on Schultz anymore. Not on a Sat morning anyway when half of Flagstaff is out on the trails. They used to hit Sunset much harder. The name calling doesn't help things. Lame. Why tangle with a 1200lb animal?
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Schultz is kind of a poster boy for those that don't want to yield on the downhill unfortunately.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Give it a crank
    It's half of Flagstaff plus 80% of Phoenix mountain bikers out on Flagstaff trails on weekends. More wheels, feet, & horseshoes out on the trails means more incidents.

You could try less aggressive brake pads, like the semi-metallic type or sintered metal pads.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have only lived here in Flagstaff for 11 years now and I can honestly say that I have never had an unpleasant interaction with the horse people. I have never run into any on Shultz but I also hardly ever ride that trail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    They pulled off to let some bikers pass there were some not so nice words exchanging.
    It's not really clear from this who instigated the exchange. It probably doesn't matter though as *******s and idiots can be found in every walk of life, and we shouldn't be surprised to find them on a bike or a horse.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Dont worry, everyone's just been a little anxious since the FS announced they are closing the trail this July to begin laying chip seal.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I dial in my front brake lever closer to the bar than my rear brake lever to help with this..takes longer for front to engage before the rear.

On a side note I had a really good interaction with a couple on horses on Schultz near the gate on the same day.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The brake is fine, your brain/finger need adjustment.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    It's half of Flagstaff plus 80% of Phoenix mountain bikers out on Flagstaff trails on weekends. More wheels, feet, & horseshoes out on the trails means more incidents.

You could try less aggressive brake pads, like the semi-metallic type or sintered metal pads.
    That or a smaller disk?
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

slower than you
    i yielded trail and was passed by a group of about 8 equine folk on little elden spring trail on sunday... they were all very friendly and some (those not checking their text messages... you can do this while riding a horse) chatted me up amiably for a sec as they passed by... in a cloud of hairy, smelly, dust.

as it should, this is generally how it goes between horses and cyclists in FLG. i blame PHX for the bad interaction... but, again, that's how it goes in FLG.

lots of poop on schultz the last few days. definitely someone rode horses there recently. sure brings the flies. gross.
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    i yielded trail and was passed by a group of about 8 equine folk on little elden spring trail on sunday... they were all very friendly and some (those not checking their text messages... you can do this while riding a horse) chatted me up amiably for a sec as they passed by... in a cloud of hairy, smelly, dust.

as it should, this is generally how it goes between horses and cyclists in FLG. i blame PHX for the bad interaction... but, again, that's how it goes in FLG.

lots of poop on schultz the last few days. definitely someone rode horses there recently. sure brings the flies. gross.
    Yeah, you can put those horses on auto pilot and text, doze-off, whatever you want.