Thread: Soggy socks.

How much further ???

Soggy socks.

So after a horrible day at work yesterday I asked my wife if she wanted to go for a quick walk after dinner around 7pm. On our way back I noticed the full moon rising over the Superstitions and immediately thought to myself "it would be a great night for a ride" aside from the fact it was pretty damn hot. Well that has never stopped me before and with the green light from the wife I threw the old Wild Hare in the Jeep and headed off to Walgreens for a little after-dark Hawes action.

I suited up and got the lights in working order and headed down fence line. I stayed straight and worked my way up to good ol Cardiac Hill. I was feeling pretty good and the heat wasnt getting to me too much so I thought maybe I can make this tonight. Things were looking good as I summited Cardiac Hill for only the second time ever non-stop. My legs were burning and heart racing but it felt great to make it again.

A quick fun filled blast took me down Disney-land to my next big decision. Ive never gone down the Saddle from this point solo at night. I usually take Ridge all the way down and up Hawes. I dont like to get too far away from the TH while solo at night but I was feeling good and thought the switchbacks might be fun especially after the rain earlier in the week. I figured 'what the hell' I already had a crappy day at work and maybe I can actually accomplish one thing in my life for the day.

Needless to say it was a blast and worked my way over to Ridge. I love the technical, rocky exposed section of Ridge just north of the 4-way and worked my way up to the little summit on Ridge for a break. When I stopped I heard something I normally dont hear. Actually something I've never heard there. Running water. I couldnt see it but I knew it was there and knew where I was going to meet it. It was fairly loud so I had no idea what to expect.

As I approached the sound of running water my lights eventually reveiled what I heard earlier. The creek was about 10-12 yards wide and running fairly quick. I've never come across running water while on my bike in the desert, let alone at night under a full moon. It was surreal. I knew I had to cross it and after a quick check on how deep the entry was (I didnt want to stuff the entry at least) I backed up, mounted my rig and plowed into the running water. Water launched off my front tire as it carved its path, soaking my feet and lower legs. It was bliss.

As I rode up the bank on the other side I had a huge smile on my face. Maybe it wasnt really that big of a deal. Maybe the creek wasnt running all that fast. Maybe in the end all I ended up with, was a pair of soggy socks but the memory of riding through a creek in the desert, on a solo ride in the middle of the night under a full moon, is one I wont soon forget.
    Last edited by Douger-1; 08-24-2010 at 08:09 PM.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

It's a slugfest!
    Sounded like a nice ride. Nice read. I attempted cardiac last Sat....didn't make it the first time so I went back down and did it again. Sand gets deeper in spots after a good rain...
    I love it when the creek is flowin'....

-SS
    Last edited by Silver_Slug; 08-24-2010 at 02:34 PM.
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

mtbr member
    I don't ride solo very often but when I do there is something different about it....since I'm the slow guy its nice to go at my own pace and enjoy whats around me....Your ride sounded like the perfect end to any day.

My other ride is your mom
    @Douger.....send me an im next time....I may be game for a ride at odd hours, assuming I'm in town....I'm less than a mile from hawes proper......that is...when I'm here throwing chlorine in the pool..........ohh, and FWIW......what you did is a big deal....because that was a beautiful moment......and that will always be a big deal.

Ride on!

How much further ???
    Sure I'll ping you before I go next time. Its usually a last minute thing.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member

so cool!

Man, your description was perfect! I had a similar situation some months back when we had enough rain to get that creek flowing. Only It was flowing strong enough that I was seriously concerned about crossing it (only to find it was not a big deal!). Yep, soggy socks!

I ride solo out there quite a bit at night, and I must admit that I have been seriously creeped out at times, particularly back there in the wash on hidden trail, and on the ascent to mine trail.One night I imagined I saw a large black cat cross the trail ahead of me and had to psych myself out to get over the anxiety (I'm sure that what I saw was a shadow that my own light threw across a bush, but the visual it caused was pretty convincing).

I've only been able to really clean cardiac one time! I typically just fall short of the flat "rest" section before the final ascent. too old and wimpy I guess...

I am about 2mi from Walgreens, ride out of there often...
    Check my pulse...

How do I do that?
    Nice, you made me feel like I was there myself....well, almost Great read man, thanks for sharing!

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by 5bravobravo
    I ride solo out there quite a bit at night, and I must admit that I have been seriously creeped out at times, particularly back there in the wash on hidden trail, and on the ascent to mine trail....
    Funny you mention that because those are the only places I havent riden solo at night yet, for that very reason. They seem the most desolate. I was even a bit creeped out heading down the switchbacks on saddle. Maybe it was losing sight of the city lights or something. It sure is funny how our minds play tricks with us and that "fight or flight" instinct kicks in for no reason at all. Or maybe there is a reason ...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I was out there Wed. morning and came across the same stream. Being that I started riding here in Phx 2 yrs ago, and haven't ventured out yet, this was my first water crossing. It was very cool. Wish I had my camera, it was an awesome morning and could have gotten several cool pics.