Fragile - must be Italian

So when does prime rattlesnake season begin?

I'm always such a dolt when it comes to nature. I've been living in Phoenix my whole life and I still never get his straight.

When does prime rattlesnake season begin? I know it is soon because the temps are starting to climb.

And when do the little buggers come out at night to hunt? From what I know, snakes are cold blooded and will stay out only in the daytime during the spring months (Mar - May) and start to hunt at night during the summer when the nights are still warm. Is this accurate?

Thx...Doug

mtbr member

'nother couple of weeks

you should start seeing them in the day. Usually in mid summer is when they are out at night, and in the early mornings.

Seems like last year I saw more snakes on S Mtn than in the last ten years or so. Maybe people have learned not to drop rocks on their heads at first sight.

I think its always very cool to come up on them. I actually was coming down the lower Corona Loma off of Desert Classic and almost rode over one before I even knew it was there. I'm sure there are a lot more out there that we ride by without seeing.

trail "cleaner"

It's already begun!

The snakes are already out. Came across a Gopher snake while hiking Marcos de Niza Tuesday evening. Eyes on path time!
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Do snakes "hunt"?

caninus xerophilous

It was coming right for me!

Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Do snakes "hunt"?
    Hey, Mountain Lion season is due to kick off in Sabino Canyon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    from what i have learned, the snakes are already out. their favorite temps are 75 to 85 degrees. cooler than that they may come out and lay in the sun, hotter than that they will be in the shade, or as in summer, under ground. if it is over 75 at night they will be out then.

a few years ago i rode right over one on T100, scared the crap out of me when it rattled right under my bike. i stopped 10-15 feet away and looked at it, coiled and ready to attack. needless to say i went on with my ride in the opposite direction.

i am in their house out there so i give them much respect. anyway, they eat rodents and just want to be left alone. this time of year they can be quite cranky before they get their first meal.

Rita

I bike, I brew
    I saw a king snake in the Golder Ranch area a week or so ago (our little heat wave between the rains), so I suppose the rattlers won't be too much different. Funny, last year, I did not see one the whole season - where the year before I saw one on almost every ride. Hopefully we'll hav them this year - given the number of packrats and field mice I'm seeing on night rides.

Another concern if you ride in cattle grazing areas is for overprotective moms. I was charged by one on Monday, and didn't even realize that I was "threatening". At first I thought it was a bull (horns), but our club's head country-bumpkin straightened my city-boy butt to explain the situation. Frankly, I wasn't in a position to check the "utter side"...

The previous poster was right on when they said we are in *their* home...

Enjoy!

Hank

pedaller

They're baaaaaaaaack!!!!!

Our MTBR AZSF04 group came a cross a nice-sized rattler out at Hawes on Sunday. It was about 2-3 feet off the trail and not happy that we disturbed it's little nap in the sun. Fortunately we all survived the incident unharmed but it's a good reminder that we SHARE the singletrack with others.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

MTBR Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    Our MTBR AZSF04 group came a cross a nice-sized rattler out at Hawes on Sunday. It was about 2-3 feet off the trail and not happy that we disturbed it's little nap in the sun. Fortunately we all survived the incident unharmed but it's a good reminder that we SHARE the singletrack with others.
    Noel - nice meeting you yesterday!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a nice compact snakebite kit?

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDog
    Hey, Mountain Lion season is due to kick off in Sabino Canyon.
    So is it that the Mountain Lions are a danger to the humans or is it the other way around? I always ferget.................
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Occidental Tourist

It has begun

They are out in all their lethal beauty. Saw two on 1a last night. Skinny-tire almost sat on one - the snake didn't have a problems with that - it was the curious jack russel it didn't like. Good times.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crash test dummy
    So is it that the Mountain Lions are a danger to the humans or is it the other way around? I always ferget.................
    depends what caliber you have.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    Here is the little beauty that we saw on the Fling ride at Hawes last Sunday:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fragile - must be Italian

Yikes...

Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Here is the little beauty that we saw on the Fling ride at Hawes last Sunday:
    ...gives me the creeps just looking at it. How big was she? 4-5 feet? I'm such a snake wuss -- I think they are beautiful creatures but they scare the crap out of me.

I assume you had a zoom lens on your camera!

Thx...Doug

MTBR Tool
    I'd say that the season is upon us. Steve and I rode past this 3 footer on Saturday around 11am up on the Happy Valley dirt road.

I was only about 2ft away from it on a gentle uphill at the end of a 20 mile ride and really wasn't planning on doing any sprinting at that point. He certainly provided me w/the Zabel legs when I needed it and I think my HRM might have actually broken through my upper threshold at that point due to fright more than anything else
    Attached Images Attached Images