Break it, Fix it, Ride it

So many new bikes in one!

So due to old age and creaky neediness of my geared, 26 FS, I felt the need to change things up, make my mountain biking life a bit easier and more adventurous for a spell, cheaply. I found a sweet deal on CL and landed a 2008 Monocog 29er. Been wanting to go 29er for some spell and SS was very appealing, but being rigid was unintended . I've had it out a few times and love it. It takes me back to my GF Genesis Geometried Aguila days. I forgot what it was like to feel the trail! Lots of extra power too, being hardtail and 5-7 lbs lighter than my other bike. Being a rigid I don't mind it at all. I always figured that if I got one I'd put a fork on it but I've no intentions now. With the big ol' front tire at 25 psi and the steel frame, a lot of the jabber gets eaten up. I'd say I like it in fact.

I've had to change my riding style, which makes the trails a bit fresh, kinda like riding at night. You've got to leverage the momentum of the big hoops and stand, a lot. It is a single speed, but i've actually counted four gears so far:

1. Sitting, pedaling at leisure.
    2. sitting, grunting one out.
    3. standing, keeping the train moving, and
    4. standing, pushing and pulling with the cleats, pumping the handlebars - and not going much of anywhere. Its been lots of fun.

Had it out last weekend for 15 miles and I've got no complaints. Its been too much fun, I love the dedication you have to give to it to keep it moving, and (even though I didn't really need it) riding feels new again. I have a sneaking suspicion that the poor FS might just keep hanging, locked to the garage wall. At least now I can get'r back in shape.

Without further adoo:

From 072910_Somo_Redline Monocog 29er!

Funny thing, after this photo, bike topples.

I get a picture of it while I'm reaching. I'm surprised you don't see my hand, reaching in vain. First nicks. Dumb***. Bound to happen anyway, i figure. Wasnt' too bad.

Already put on the grips, got a seat, headset, and some BB7s to toss on soon enough too. Got plans to ride it for awhile, and even get into some bikepacking, since I've got a nice open front triangle. The FS has some wacko monocoque frame that has no packing space. Plan on hitting up some AZT in the south with my pal that lives in Nogales for a preliminary excursion.

If you feel the need to mix things up in a big way from the regular 26 FS gearage routine, I recommend this route. Tons o fun.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit
    ...i've actually counted four gears so far:

1. Sitting, pedaling at leisure.
    2. sitting, grunting one out.
    3. standing, keeping the train moving, and
    4. standing, pushing and pulling with the cleats, pumping the handlebars - and not going much of anywhere. Its been lots of fun.
    Technically speaking, Single Speeds only have three gears.

1. Sitting.
    2. Standing.
    3. Walking.

Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

I am Bob
    I love riding a classic xc bike especially on that part of SoMo. Nice, Smooth and fast

oooh, shiny...
    Good looking ride.
    My FS has definitely been neglected since I built my Rigid SS. In fact I was getting mt FS ready for a ride today and found cob webs on it! No joke!

Take it out on DC when you get a chance. If you can avoid all the hikers, DC is an awesome SS trail.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry-daddy
    Good looking ride.
    My FS has definitely been neglected since I built my Rigid SS. In fact I was getting mt FS ready for a ride today and found cob webs on it! No joke!

Take it out on DC when you get a chance. If you can avoid all the hikers, DC is an awesome SS trail.
    Thanks, and cobwebs? Now that's neglect, but I can see it happening. Been on DC a few times under the clouds and is bunches o' fun. I'm looking to take it around soon, see how it does on the likes of Hawes or in the McDowells. Can't get enough so far.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit
    Thanks, and cobwebs? Now that's neglect, but I can see it happening. Been on DC a few times under the clouds and is bunches o' fun. I'm looking to take it around soon, see how it does on the likes of Hawes or in the McDowells. Can't get enough so far.
    McDowell sport loop is the bomb! Hawes is cool too.

mtbr member
    Sweet bike.

I have been riding rigid on SOMO for two years now and apart from a few sections find everything rideable!

Cleaning the ups on certain sections really gets the heart pounding! DC is fun, but going up Javelina and doing snake loops through the East and West loops can be a blast as well.

Ive ridden Hawes and found it mostly rigid friendly. The McDowell loops are fun, but some parts suck on the rigid and if I race/ride out there again I would have to give in and put a suspension fork on!

Hope to see you out on SOMO some time!